• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Planning: eG Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2016

Kerry Beal

Next year we shall be back in Niagara on the Lake - not much more in the way of details than that so far!

I'm hoping for the end of May - after Mother's day but not on the Victoria day weekend. I think that leaves us two weekends - May 14,15 or 28, 29. It will depend on the school's schedule. I have feelers out to the woman who schedules the kitchens and I'll get down to the college in the next couple of weeks and talk with Chef Storm.

I'll try to get dates pinned down as early as possible so that folks can make plans well ahead.  

Love to start a list of potential subjects for our didactic half day. 

The opinion seems to be that on the Friday folks would like to go to Tomric again - so closer to the time I'll contact them and see what they can put in place for us. I know that RobertM arranged a tour of a candy factory in Buffalo last time we were there - perhaps something like that might be fun to do again next year.

Hopefully Chef Dave will be able to make our Saturday meal again. The mushroom soup, the prime rib, the yorkies...

• Like 1

If the moon keeps shining and the crick don't rise I will be there collecting your money!

And here's a link to the 2013 workshop also held at the College in Niagara-on-the-Lake.

click

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 months later...

Finally pinned down the folks at Niagara College today to find that they are ripping the ass off the building that houses the kitchen we use. They are well behind schedule and therefore are not prepared to book anything into the future.

So change of plans is in order. We will hold the workshop in Toronto - the weekend of May 14 and 15. Facility to be announced but already lined up.

Perhaps a visit to Soma on Friday - we'll have to see what we can arrange.

• Like 1

Finally pinned down the folks at Niagara College today to find that they are ripping the ass off the building that houses the kitchen we use. They are well behind schedule and therefore are not prepared to book anything into the future.

So change of plans is in order. We will hold the workshop in Toronto - the weekend of May 14 and 15. Facility to be announced but already lined up.

Perhaps a visit to Soma on Friday - we'll have to see what we can arrange.

Sounds like a great alternative plan. Looked at Soma's website... very interesting! 

Hopefully these renovations are taking place between semesters... otherwise, will the chefs and students at Niagara College have somewhere else to cook while these renovations are taking place?

Sounds like a great alternative plan. Looked at Soma's website... very interesting! 

Hopefully these renovations are taking place between semesters... otherwise, will the chefs and students at Niagara College have somewhere else to cook while these renovations are taking place?

According to Peter it's a total shit show!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have news!

Ramon Morato will be doing a demo at Humber College on Thursday May 12 - I suspect the time will be 5:30 in the evening as most of these demos are for Cacao Barry. There will be no cost to attend. But we need to let the Cacao Barry folks know ahead of time how many seats to hold for us.

So keep this in mind when you are booking your flights and hotel. I'll get the the block hotel booking next week.

• Like 3

Going to check out the hotel today - looks like we should be able to get a rate of $148.76 plus tax for at least the nights of May 13 and 14 - working on a better rate for the 11th and 12th (they want $195 for those days currently) for people who want to come in early. I'll see what I can do about folks who want to stay later as well. I'm working on a block of 20 rooms - for the block rate to apply we need to have at least 10 rooms booked for at least one of the nights which I don't think will be an issue. 

Will let you know later today what the hotel looks like - it's not going to be fancy (it's a Holiday Inn) - but it's about the only thing close.

Well I had a lovely visit at the aforementioned Holiday Inn this morning. I was introduced to Sean and Maria who showed me around the hotel and sat me down with a cup of coffee and told me what the hotel could offer. They also allowed that they were big chocoholics and would be anxiously awaiting our arrival.

This particular Holiday Inn has won quite a number of awards - and I must say I was very pleasantly surprised. I think it will suit us.

I'm just waiting for the costs on days around the main dates and and for the information on the code will will use to book. I'll have to decide if it's worthwhile to book the two rooms on each side of the suite they have on the 12th floor - that way we can rent the middle suite part on the Friday night for our show and tell - I suspect we may have difficulty finding another spot for our show and tell that will allow us to bring in our own beverages. 

The hotel is right across the road from the Yorkdale Shopping Centre - a rather posh mall. Katz's deli is a block or so away - lots of interesting things within walking distance. 

The venue where we will be holding the workshop is a 7 minute drive from the hotel - and about a 30 minute walk.

Parking at the hotel will be $12 per day - hard to avoid in the GTA. 

• Like 3

Is it too early to start looking for a roommate? The friend who came with me two years ago won't be able to make it this year.

I'd say it's never too early to do that!

I'm just doing some negotiating with the hotel - looks like we will be able to get the same rate for the days up to and following so that's good - but they seem to want a guaranteed 40 'room nights' or I'm on the hook for the difference. I'm going to see if I can negotiate that down in number - I suspect we aren't going to have a huge issue with getting these numbers but I don't really want to have to pay it myself!

And I need to get them to change the name from Edullet Confecionary Workshop!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Starting the list of attendees

Definite

RobertM

Sue Casey

Chocolot

curls

MelissaH

Gwbyls

tikidoc

Tentative 

gfron1 - not seeing a commitment to come above but seeing an interest in Morato!

• Like 1

Ok - here is the online hotel reservation process 

eGullet Chocolate and Confectionary Workshop

1. Click on booking link – routed to Holiday Inn Page
  2. Enter dates, scroll down (group code is prepopulated), Click on “Check Availability”
  3. click  “book this room” on preferred room type 
  4. Fill out information, click next to guarantee reservation with credit card.
  5. Click “confirm”, confirmation number will appear.

For phone reservations - call 1 866 568 0046

Rooms will be released if not booked by April 20, 2016.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Are there plans for Friday the 13th too? Want to book the hotel for the right number of days. Interested in the Morato demo but not sure how many days I can swing.

Edited to fix punctuation.

Edited by curls (log)