• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 3)

kayb

Thanks, Kim Shook.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday.

Sliced quartered winter-type bamboo shoot simmered in chicken broth w/ a bit of oil & some smashed garlic; then trimmed hearts of red romaine, green romaine & butter lettuces barely wilted in.

DSCN5306a_800.jpg

Marinated sliced beef (Shaohsing wine, rice bran oil, ground white pepper, some corn starch, some salt) stir-fried w/ some garlic & oil then reserved; then fermented (salted) black beans (this one)(pre-soaked) & sliced hot red finger chillies stir-fried w/ more garlic & oil, sliced cored bittergourd, hon-mirin [Takara], the rest of the marinade; then the reserved beef was added back in and all were tossed around w/ a bit of extra water added in as well till done. 

White rice.

DSCN5310a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

Hello friends. Part of tonight's meal: 

Wild striped bass tartare, wild sorrel and garden cucumbers

zzG4yjX.jpg

Stuffed zucchini blossoms

9pYrcc2.jpg

I have cucumbers at about the same stage.  What are they like so small with the flowers still on?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Sweet and delicious. Actually quite a burst of flavor for such a small cucumber. Sugars must be concentrated at such an early stage.

Thanks!  I may try one or two in something.

Ann_T

Im gratefull I don't come over too often for Eats.

Id have to waddle home, time and again.

always with a few loafs under my arm and a nice Doggie Bag.

Rotuts, I would be happy to send you home with a few loaves.

Brown%20Tomatoes%20June%2024th%2C%202015

Got a great deal on a box of brown tomatoes yesterday.  After making dinner I still had over 50 tomatoes and all for $9.95. 

Fresh%20Tomato%2C%20Garlic%20and%20Basil

Hand chopped about 10 tomatoes, with garlic, basil and olive oil

Fresh%20Tomato%2C%20Garlic%20and%20Basil

and served with spaghetti and roasted chicken.

• Like 9

But Ann_T, where's the BREAD???!!! 

Or did you give it all to rotuts:laugh:

Just can't imagine that lovely pasta w/o some of your amazing bread.  

Got a great deal on a box of brown tomatoes yesterday.  After making dinner I still had over 50 tomatoes and all for $9.95. 

Hand chopped about 10 tomatoes, with garlic, basil and olive oil

and served with spaghetti and roasted chicken.

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 4

Ottolenghi's Eggplant with buttermilk sauce (Plenty pp 110-111) ...served with acceptable, but nothing to write home about, flatbread that I baked:

EggplantWithButtermilkSauce06262015.png

No bonus points for guessing why I made it.

• Like 5

JoNorvelleWalker, how was that eggplant dish?  I was just looking at the recipe yesterday, and picked up pomegranate seeds, but there was no eggplant at the store.  Maybe next week...

blackened shrimp with quinoa salad

shrimp quinoa.jpg

• Like 5

Now I cannot claim credit, but inspired from this epicurous recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/celery-root-and-apple-soup-239846

my lovely wife made Parsley Root Soup, as we just dug a bed of 2 year old Italian Parsley.

ParsleyRootSoup.jpg

Wow...Double Wow! We made it with regular Italian parsley, but given how great this was I think I might just have to source "Hamburg" parsley grown specifically for its roots!

Cheers

Luke

• Like 3

Last night’s dinner started with the usual salads:

med_gallery_3331_114_181488.jpg

Then 1970’s comfort food – Manwich sloppy joes:

med_gallery_3331_114_209256.jpg

Served with corn and marinated cucumbers:

med_gallery_3331_114_170007.jpg

It’s funny – I did not grow up with Sloppy Joes, though Mr. Kim did.  In fact, the first time I ever heard of them was from his sister making some comment about “everyone eats Sloppy Joes”.  I made them and loved them and during our early marriage (when we were broke) I served them so often that Mike protested.  I still like them and haven’t ever felt the need to make homemade ones.  Mr. Kim and I were talking after dinner and we both agreed that neither of us felt any need to try an actual recipe.  I do add a little BBQ sauce and A-1 to the canned sauce, but I’ve checked recipes and other than big chunks of onion and pepper (which I hate), I’m pretty sure the ingredients in the can are the same as the ones in the recipes.  I mean what could be more authentic than Manwich? :raz:

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 6

JoNorvelleWalker, how was that eggplant dish?  I was just looking at the recipe yesterday, and picked up pomegranate seeds, but there was no eggplant at the store.  Maybe next week...

It was good.  I will probably make it again if only because I have a ton of za'atar to use up.  Seariously, though, it was easy and rewarding.

Next time I would bake the eggplant longer with more oil and make a thicker sauce.  I suspect the American translation of the sauce recipe is a bit off.  Dinner tonight is grilled chicken (za'atar and oil) with leftover bread and eggplant.  But first my mai tai.

• Like 2

Soup.  Straw mushrooms (canned), asparagus, enoki mushrooms in chicken broth. Fried shallots & scallions.

DSCN5320a_800.jpg

Cantonese roast duck [via Asia Mart], skinny wonton noodles tossed w/ the duck-bean sauce incld w/ the duck, blanched kai-lan.  Dressed w/ oyster sauce – black sesame oil – bulldog tonkatsu sauce – fried shallots slurried together; plus chopped scallions.

DSCN5322a_800.jpg

DSCN5325a_800.jpg

Fresh lychees.

DSCN5329a_800.jpg

• Like 10

Happy Saturday everyone!!!  I'm getting ready to head out to the garden but thought I'd post a bit first.  I made myself an iced coffee just now.  Aren't those good on hot summer days?  I don't like coffee really...but I like these.  

Kim--I haven't had a sloppy joe for years and now I WANT.  I think the last time I made them from scratch and they didn't taste they way they should.  

Huiray--YUM on the lychees.  I've only had the canned kind.  I know fresh are much much better.

A few meals:

I made sauce and used up some veggies.  Heavy on the squash from the garden.  I had this porcini mushroom pasta in the pantry and used that.  Oh wow was it good.  So I googled it and I can't find it :(  The brand name was in Italian and hard for me to read.  I know I ordered it online from somewhere but I can't remember.  

photo 1.JPG

Pizza night.  Why do I post pizza pictures after Ann does???  Mine will never measure up to hers!  :blush:

photo 2.JPG

This is now in a container in the fridge and will be added to and eaten all summer long.  Vinegar, touch of sugar, onions and cukes from the garden.

photo 3.JPG

Ann's lemon pepper wings again with collards.  I have a lot of collards.  :wacko:

photo 4.JPG

Had a smidge (what??? smidge isn't a word??  :raz: come on spellcheck) of chili left over so of course chili dogs must be made.  Light, crispy onion rings on the side.

photo 5.JPG

• Like 7

Shelby, you've especially got me jonesing for a good garden pickle. What kind of vinegar do you use? Do the pickled cukes and onions hold up well, or is this a short-term small-batch pickle?

I really love being in the North at this time of year, but when I look at the fresh garden produce y'all have been getting, then see that the local farmers' fields are still at the seedling stage, I have to wonder about my judgment. :-D

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Shelby, you've especially got me jonesing for a good garden pickle. What kind of vinegar do you use? Do the pickled cukes and onions hold up well, or is this a short-term small-batch pickle?

I really love being in the North at this time of year, but when I look at the fresh garden produce y'all have been getting, then see that the local farmers' fields are still at the seedling stage, I have to wonder about my judgment. :-D

I'm getting ready to make a small batch of "quickles" this afternoon.  The ones I made last summer lasted well into the winter with no problems.  I put those in a mason jar with a lid.  Next will be the ones I ferment in that stoneware container that you've seen on the pickle thread.....I guess we should revive that thread soon :)

These that I pictured above last just fine in a tupperware container.  I've never had them go bad...but then again, we eat them almost every day with dinner.  I use just plain 'ole cider vinegar.

• Like 3

No picture. 

Last night I found myself with some linguini, a can of Cento sardines in olive oil, some parsley and a lemon...

So I made the pasta al dente, zested and juiced the lemon in to a bowl and added chopped parsley.   Placed the sardines on the pasta, then added a few generous glugs of evoo and for crunch, some croutons from a packet.

It was delicious!

• Like 6

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much