• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 3)

kayb

Faux pas, the blossoms were eaten simply by themselves, a touch of fleur de sel. I had thought to make a zucchini/mint condiment, however I lost the desire at the final moment. The batter ha s a bit of minced garlic and thinly sliced basil. :)

• Like 2

do you guys know "Kaiserschmarrn"? a very traditional sweet dish from Austria. But "Schmarrn" can do a lot more, today I made a savoury version with fresh goats cheese and pumpkin seeds. 

I do not know Kaiserschmarm... but now I want to. Tell us more about it!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

image.jpg

Trader Joe's rice orzo pilaf mix topped with roasted mushrooms and romaine.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

radishes.JPG

Not overly hungry, and it's the first HOT weather of the summer, so I opted for cold stuff. Homemade corn and black bean salsa and chips, with some grated Monterey Jack cheese added to the salsa. And, since I'd seen several posts about sliced radishes on buttered toast or crispbread, and I had all the above, I decided I should try that.

The taste of radishes next to butter is a revelation. My crispbread is seed-encrusted, and tends to overpower the butter and radish; I have some water crackers I will try tomorrow. I also have some blue cheese butter, which I did not use because it was in the fridge and way too cold, but I'll bring that out to get room temp and try it, per Anna's breakfast the other morning.

Radishes and butter. Who'd'a thunk it?

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

A riff on canh đậu hủ hẹ (tofu & chives soup).

Chicken broth, pork meatballs (using minced pork mixed w/ deep-fried shallots, a splash of fish sauce, and ground white pepper), simmer; then sliced soft tofu, trimmed yellow garlic chives.  Coriander leaves garnish.

DSCN5296b_800.jpg

• Like 1

First time using sous vide for lobster and was really impressed. Went with 20 minutes at 140f and loved it. Bagged with butter and thyme. Carrot puree, char grilled eggplant, avocado salad, radish, spicebush vinegar, and some ground charred spring onion. 

wcN5RC2.jpg

• Like 6

You are an exceptional photographer, Ann. Very nice pizzas, too!

Thank you MM.  

Greek%20Baby%20Back%20Ribs%20June%2022nd

Greek baby back ribs with all the Greek sides on Monday night.

Salt%2C%20Pepper%20and%20Lemon%20wings%2

And my favourite chicken wings rubbed with fresh garlic, salt, lots and lots of black pepper and the zest and juice of a lemon was on the menu last night.

• Like 8

Ann_T

Im gratefull I don't come over too often for Eats.

Id have to waddle home, time and again.

always with a few loafs under my arm and a nice Doggie Bag.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I rarely log in or post here. But to see a picture of what my family calls "Schmaun" and to hear the name Kaiserschmarm for the first time broke the seal. My Austrian-roots Milwaukee, Wisconsin, family has made this dish for three generations, at least. I'm sure the name has morphed through generations and cultures, but what you describe, ninagluck, sounds right.

Originating with my Nana (great grandmother), this recipe for Schmaun has been passed down: Beat about 10 eggs. Add 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt and about 4 cups flour with milk alternately to heavy pancake consistency. Melt one stick margarine in fry pan and add batter. Turn occasionally (like scrambled eggs).

It's like a big scrambled pancake, very filling, and was served with syrup. We never ate it for breakfast, but often on meatless Friday nights. Funny, in Wisconsin the dairy state, we specifically used margarine instead of butter.

• Like 8

KikiAnn, nice to here, that some traditions have been passed on. when I was a child we also got that on fridays, as this was the thick soup and a sweet dish day. Meat was only served on weekends, so 5 out of 7 days were meatless and this is the tradition I keep. However, try the savoury version, as good as the sweet one!

• Like 2

huiray – as always, your food looks beautiful and delicious.  In particular the shrimp dish that you posted yesterday!  Those shrimp nestled in the greens and the crisp bean sprouts looked so fresh and beautiful.

The day before Father’s Day we met Mr. Kim’s dad and stepmom at one of our longtime favorite places – a German restaurant about an hour and a half away.  We’ve never eaten there that we didn’t eat ourselves into a coma, but I guess that’s German food for you! 

On Father’s day, Mr. Kim had requested cheeseburgers, salad and blueberry shortcake, but with all the food we’d consumed the day before and having been without power for all of Saturday night, he opted for takeout ribs instead.  We got them at a local place whose claim to fame is besting Bobby Flay on his Throw down show.  Mr. Kim’s pulled pork is much better, but the ribs are very good!  We started with pepper jelly on cream cheese and Ritz crackers:

med_gallery_3331_122_137938.jpg

For southerners, it kinda has to be Ritz.

The ribs with leftover vegetables from yesterday bounteous meal:

med_gallery_3331_122_103549.jpg

Last night we went to Charlottesville for the Paul McCartney concert.  Stopped at an old favorite for Mr. Kim to finally get his Father’s Day cheeseburgers:

med_gallery_3331_122_102939.jpg

med_gallery_3331_122_68615.jpg

We lived in Charlottesville when Mr. Kim was in grad school and we were broke.  Charlottesville has some fabulous restaurants, but we mostly ate at places like this (unless our parents wanted to come and take us to dinner).  This little family place, open since 1945 has the best fried chicken and burgers in town and serves breakfast all day.  Every town needs a place like this.  Wish mine had one!

Just realized that the only thing that I’m posting that I was actually responsible for is the cream cheese and pepper jelly, which I only assembled :rolleyes: .  

• Like 11

I recently made some honey-glazed ham hocks following this recipe. It turned out great.

tumblr_nqh7ktq11H1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Since cherries are in season now, I also went ahead and made black forest cake-themed dessert. A lot of the components were grabbed from recipes on this page. It was a ton of work, but delicious:

Cherry sorbet

Flourless chocolate custard cake

Microwaved chocolate sponge cake

Cherry fluid gel

Chocolate fluid gel

Chocolate crumbles

tumblr_nqh7hnHwO91rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

• Like 13

Blackstrap rum glazed grilled shrimp with couscous and salad.  The tomatoes in the salad are the first I have gotten from my patio plant this year.  I have a real vegetable garden too but should talk about that in the gardening thread.

blackstrap shrimp.jpg

• Like 9

Kim that's my kind of burger and I'm serious about my burgers.

Last night I rotisseried a chicken with lemon pepper and seasoned salt.

Tonight the dark meat was diced and added to a hash with russets, shallots and broccoli.

LZlRq9L.png

• Like 6