• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 3)

kayb

It is hard to get through a loaf of bread, no matter how much fruit and cheese, without a liter of MR.  And I cannot begin to describe the disappointment of pouring a non-carbonated glass of MR by error, no matter what one's vapor of choice.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Baby zucchini w/ blossoms on and stuffed w/ lightly salted ricotta mixed w/ chopped fresh chives (straight from my deck); battered then deep-fried.  Plus deep-fried residual batter & quartered Icicle radishes.

DSCN5198b_800.jpg

• Like 4

Friday night pre-dinner cocktail: watermelon-blueberry-lime rickey.  Forgot to take a picture of dinner, which was just pasta with a raw tomato sauce.  Excuse the massive amounts of pollen on my deck table, pollen has been crazy this year.

watermelon rickey.jpg

Last night for the weekly three-generation family dinner, an antipasto platter.  I also made an eggplant gratin and grilled bruschetta

antipasto.jpg

• Like 12

Ohhhh LiamsAunt, your drinks and that platter YUM.  I love food like that.

Huiray, yep, it's squash time again :)  Yours look wonderful!

Liuzhou, I am patiently waiting for my okra to grow here.  Until then I'll stare at yours :)

Last night we watched some horse racing and had chili cheese dogs.  Can't beat that :)

photo.JPG

• Like 6

Huiray, yep, it's squash time again :)  Yours look wonderful!

Thanks!  Yes, it's "squash time" again.  I thoroughly enjoyed my fried blossom-stuffed ones last night. :-)

I know that you will soon have another big haul of zucchini to eat and "get through". :-)  Do think about harvesting far more of them as babies (with or without the flowers) so you won't have as many "mature" ones to deal with!  Or, simply pluck some of the blossoms even before they develop the fruits (or cull some of the male blossoms) to use in various preps with them - and there are many. :-D 

• Like 1

Id very much like to hear more on the 

bulgur dumplings

bulgar all the time in the warmer months.

even in the winter if i can find the Mix'Ins  that suggest Spring might still come.

cpWrOmZl.jpg

EgIMyyfl.jpg

Spent the first part of this week in Mfolozi Game Reserve here in KwaZulu Natal. One of my favourite things about camping is the endless braais we have.

GMhbzhjl.jpg

Last night we had some family over, the fiancee did the chicken, mushroom, pepper and cream pie, and I smoked some pork chops and sausages.

• Like 9

Inspired by FauxPas post couple of pages back in this thread.  Watermelon with blue cheese, pine nuts, balsamic reduction.  Sweet and salty, crunchy and soft, cold and refreshing.

watermelong blue cheese.jpg

• Like 8

image.jpg

Baked potato with the flesh scooped out and mixed with butter and blue cheese. Topped with crispy bacon and mushrooms.

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm not sure what dinner will be, but it will be something quick and easy. The plan for today was a pork butt in the smoker. Gave it a good rub yesterday, got things set up this morning despite the threat of rain... and completely mistimed it. It's 5:30 and the pork is still 40 degrees out from the target. I think it's finally out of the stall, the temp's moving up again but not fast enough to be tonight's dinner. I don't do late dinners. The coleslaw is already made, the mac and cheese is assembled but hasn't been in the oven yet. Looks like it's all going to be dinner tomorrow instead. 

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

chefmd, I love yor dish! barbecue or oven?

Raw.  Balsamic reduction kinda gives it a cooked appearance.  It is very hot in Arlington VA where I live.  Cold uncooked dishes are very much what hits the spot at the moment.  Wish we had good tomatoes for gazpacho right now...

• Like 2

Weisswurst (simmered, salted water); potatoes (pan-fried); fresh shelled peas (in the water from reheating the Weisswurst); Hengstenberg Sauerkraut (bulk) (slightly "browned" in pan w/ evoo & a couple fresh bay leaves, then rice vinegar & hon-mirin and some salt added and simmered down).

DSCN5204a_800.jpg

DSCN5205b_800.jpg

Darn, I left the sausages to simmer just a little too long and they split. Eh.

The peas.

DSCN5202b_600.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 7

I saw a recipe for Chile Rellenos Chicken Enchiladas that I thought looked really good but then I thought it would be better with pulled pork instead of shredded chicken. I asked Cassie what she thought about it with Carnitas and she thought it would be better with plain pork in the slow cooker. I decided to put it in the smoker with just salt, pepper and garlic rub instead of anything BBQ tasting. Here is the pulled pork. I'll make the echiladas in a day or two.

DSCN2650_zpsyschdilq.jpg

• Like 19

I'm not sure what dinner will be, but it will be something quick and easy. The plan for today was a pork butt in the smoker. Gave it a good rub yesterday, got things set up this morning despite the threat of rain... and completely mistimed it. It's 5:30 and the pork is still 40 degrees out from the target. I think it's finally out of the stall, the temp's moving up again but not fast enough to be tonight's dinner. I don't do late dinners. The coleslaw is already made, the mac and cheese is assembled but hasn't been in the oven yet. Looks like it's all going to be dinner tomorrow instead. 

I saw a recipe for Chile Rellenos Chicken Enchiladas that I thought looked really good but then I thought it would be better with pulled pork instead of shredded chicken. I asked Cassie what she thought about it with Carnitas and she thought it would be better with plain pork in the slow cooker. I decided to put it in the smoker with just salt, pepper and garlic rub instead of anything BBQ tasting. Here is the pulled pork. I'll make the echiladas in a day or two.

Sure! Rub it in! :raz: Seriously though, looks good! Wish I was eating mine tonight...

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Pasta aglio e olio. I love this dish, simple and easy and yet I never get tired of it! 

IMGP4472.JPG

Cherries, straight and simple. Best this way, maybe. They are so tasty fresh so why cook them unless you absolutely have to?

IMGP4455.JPG

Clafoutis, not sure why. 

IMGP4481.JPG

I was disappointed in the clafoutis, but maybe I am missing something. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 14

Peanut oil, chopped smashed garlic, julienned ginger; ground chuck; hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, chili-garlic sauce [all three LKK]; soft tofu, crumbled by hand into pan; chopped scallions.

Young spinach wilted in oiled hot water, drained, dressed w/ oyster sauce & ground black pepper.

White rice.

DSCN5208a_800.jpg

• Like 6

NM : the Yoder arrives this Wed.  Noon.  120 lbs of various pellets from here :

http://www.pitmasterselect.com/

My first 'cook' was going to be a Butt for carnitas.   I was thinking of not brining the meat, but salt and pepper and some ground cumin that I toast then grind

onion and garlic granules  ( all the above ex. cumin ) from penzy's

what times and temps do you think ?   i can add extra smoke via my 6" pellet smoker for additional smoke.  maybe the last two hours ?

many thanks for that delicious pic.

I was thinking 4 or so vertical chicks then saw that Pork !

• Like 4