• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 3)

kayb

Been too busy to post but not too busy to read other's posts and EAT! 

Finally got back to the Big Easy: Boneless leg of lamb, marinated in red wine, whole grain mustard, and stuffed with rosemary

eGulletLegLamb6448.jpg

eGulletLamb6449.jpg

First time doing lobster tails on the BBQ - previously frozen @ 4.00 each - about 5 oz...split, Montreal steak spice, butter, lemon juice

eGullketLobster6446.jpg

S-i-l's BBQ ribeye steaks with charcoal and applewood chips  a la Alton Brown's "reverse sear" 

eGulletSteaks6455.jpg

Perfectly cooked...same all the way through!

eGulletSteakBite6459.jpg

New recipe for me tonight: Burmese Curry Pork Ribs, and some of the smoked chicken wings by s-i-l...Absolutely delicious wings!

eGulletBurmeseCurryPorkRibs6472.jpg

And some pan-fried tofu to go with the ribs and wings

eGulletFriedTofu6470.jpg

• Like 14

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Yes, that dinner was "meat centric" because my friend made me cook the whole piece of lamb leg rather than saving some to cook fresh the next day.  I was going to sous vide it but time got away on me so I threw it on a hot, hot grill for about 5 minutes a side and took it off when the temp was around 123F.

• Like 1

Oh, wow....what amazing meals and dishes. I'll take some of either Dejah's or scamhi's steak, with Anna's mozzarella-stuffed baked cherry tomatoes (what a great idea; never thought of it, but will assuredly do it, and whoever had those delightful watermelon cubes with the cucumber. That would about hit the spot.

It's going to be leftovers tonight; burgers from a couple of nights ago, warmed in gravy, will become hamburger steaks; leftover potato salad and squash casserole. I may bestir myself to cook the last of the asparagus.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

We have been really busy but also busy of the best kind - terrific friends visiting! We had Greek-style pork ribs and Greek salad and we started chowing down before I even thought to take a pic. So this is not as photogenic as it could be. The ribs marinate for up to 24 hours and the salad can be made a few hours in advance so it has always been a fave for me because almost all the work is done in advance. 

IMGP4450.JPG

Also made some tzatziki and had some store-bought pitas. Though I'd love to revisit that pita sourcing.   :smile:

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 9

Earlier – Soup.  Chicken broth, criminis, baby spinach, parsley.

DSCN5170a_800.jpg

Later – A variation on "Kam Heong" clams.  Sautéed asparagus & sugar snap peas.  White rice.

DSCN5177a_800.jpg

DSCN5180a_800.jpg

• Like 6

Stuffed chicken leg (pancetta/bread crumbs and parmesan/chicken dusted with Scarpetta's poultry spice); peas with lettuce; baby zucchini and mushrooms in pesto with parmesan and a toasted garlic roll.DSC00898.JPG

• Like 6

I was at the fish market and fresh Cobia was available.

Used a couple of ears of sweet corn to make a relish and left over cantaloupe, peppers and onions to make a sauce. Lemon balm and oregano from the garden to garnish and add some flavor.

0fd40f2cc99c67b44f56100bcc1623ff.jpg

Cobia is such a fantastic fish. Firm yet oily enough to give fantastic texture and moisture.

• Like 9

Steamed short-cut pork spare ribs; with fermented (salted) black beans (see below), ginger, garlic, peanut oil, hot chilli, Chinese mushroom, hua tiao Shaohsing wine.

Blanched kai-lan (oiled hot water), oyster sauce, white pepper.

Jasmine rice.

DSCN5185a_800.jpg

DSCN5188a_800.jpg

Brand of beans used.

DSCN5182a_600.jpg

• Like 6

Ahhhh  Shelby, le squash is back !

best of luck.

is you have a cuisinart FP, the matchstick blade, an option blade, makes fine work of these and other garden pests for a nice crunchy salad.

last minute processing is key.

now about the eggplant :  Id just compost those toot sweet.

just saying.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

steak bc butter.JPG

Porterhouse, sous vide for an hour at 125F, cooled to room temp, and then seared on a hot grill and finished with blue cheese butter.

steak n trimmings.JPG

Served with hasselback potato, the last of the asparagus with Hollandaise, a caprese, and red zinfandel.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

More seafood tonight

Cobia and sea scallops in a sauce of roasted corn, cauliflower and onions puréed and onion and basil flowers for garnish

3abdc91fb6e9fc645a524f78e0e25fab.jpg

Translation, use up stuff in the fridge and clean up the herb garden.

• Like 8

I grew up not soaking black beans and after doing the soaking method I have reverted back to a more traditional Cuban, Puerto Rican method. Yeah they take about 2-3 hrs to cook from dried but they gain a lot of flavor from the aromatics in the longer cooking time which just can't be duplicated in a shorted cook.

And Patrick cold from the fridge the next day is like eating fudge. Super rich. It's a red light food

I take some beans out of the finished dish, purée them and add it back. Improves the texture IMO

Thanks for that scuba - I've also read that in Mexico people do not soak their beans. Trying it tonight with some ayocote negros. It does take hours and hours but the results were definitely worth it. I'll report back on tonight's experiment (I will definitely be eating dinner around 10 PM).

That first batch of black beans was revelatory. It makes me wonder whether there are other beans that cook better long & slow from dry?