• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 3)

kayb

All these meals spoke to me -- Norm's meat loaf (I DO love a meat loaf!), MM's steak and veggies (and that dessert -- would never thought of purple basil with fruit), FauxPas' tomato tart, and liuzhou's prawns with pasta. I'm going to try that tomato tart this weekend at some point. 

Last night was a quickie dinner, and no photos -- small sirloin tip steak, diced, stirfried with onion, tomato paste, lemongrass and curry powder, and then simmered briefly in an added can of coconut milk. Overdid it a bit on the curry powder; result, served over rice, was quite tasty, but a little fiery for my taste.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Revving up for the Belmont Stakes tomorrow....betting some today....we'll see if I can end my very cold streak.

'Twas finally a hot day so we had taco salads on Wednesday.

photo 1.JPG

Last night, venison burgers.

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

• Like 11

FauxPas, I agree with rotus...your simple puff pastry looks amazing. I am salivating just thinking of how it must have tasted. The colors of the tomatoes are so vivid. I hope they tasted as good as they look.

mm84321 - Your rib eye had me at "hello".  :laugh: I adore a good rib eye...it's my favorite cut of steak. And your dessert looked spectacular, too.

liuzhou - Your spaghetti with asparagus and red prawns looks delicious. I'm thinking it could make a nice cold salad, too.

patrickamory - Regarding your giant white beans with Italian sausage and leeks...I thought the beans were potatoes, they're so huge! Well done.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

BTW 

Shelby

Im coming over 'soon' for those burgers.

hope to see more tots

BTW deux :  do you have 'eastern' or 'western' mosquitos ?

im no fan of the Eastern-ers.  

LOL I'm not sure if they are east or west, but they are as big as hummingbirds.  I swear you could probably breast one out and eat it  :laugh:

• Like 2

Patrick – re: you celery comment on 5/17.  It’s actually rotuts who hates celery.  I’m ok with it.  But I detest bell peppers! :raz:

liamsaunt – those pizzas were works of art.  I’d even have tried that eggplant one (I’m a bit veggie averse – like your brother).

kayb – dear God, Kay – that brisket/corn/pea/yeast roll meal had me banging my head on the table.  There is no way I can find anything approaching that tonight and there is nothing else I want after reading that.

Ninagluck – I loved the look and sound of that egg yolk so much that I ‘liked’ your post even though I don’t like asparagus!

Sorry to be so MIA lately.  As my FB pals know, I had a bad fall a couple of weeks ago.  I’m really fine now – stiches out and turning every shade of the rainbow.  But I sprained my wrist and typing and cooking were difficult.  So I’ve got just a few things to contribute.  We had some friends over for dinner last month and Jessica did most of the cooking.  She made fantastic chicken enchiladas:

med_gallery_3331_114_62489.jpg

To go with them she did black beans with chiles:

med_gallery_3331_114_27699.jpg

And a version of street corn with fresh corn, mayo and cotija cheese:

med_gallery_3331_114_88364.jpg

I provided a salad with Green Goddess dressing, white sangria and dessert:

med_gallery_3331_114_167412.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_100371.jpg

med_gallery_3331_119_39140.jpg

The cake was Daiquiri pound cake – one of Jessica’s favorites.

I got a craving for spaghetti.  Too hot for it, but this happens to me a lot – wanting out-of-season dishes!  Started with salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_74119.jpg

Plain old iceberg with carrots, radishes, cucumbers and bleu cheese dressing – another craving!

Bolognese and cheesy garlic bread:

med_gallery_3331_114_16764.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_117715.jpg

I made racheld’s (past poster) fabulous chicken salad as my contribution to a friend’s BD party.  Bowl of ingredients including eggs, pecans, grapes, celery and apples:

med_gallery_3331_114_1503.jpg

Chicken is under all that good stuff.  Finished:

med_gallery_3331_114_153385.jpg

Served on mini croissants.

We are leaving for Indianapolis (to visit said racheld and her daughter, Caroled) tomorrow morning, so we are trying to eat up what is in the fridge before we go.  Like our eat-up-the-freezer pre-Christmas meals, things are getting a bit odd.  This was ok, though.  Started with a cheese tray:

med_gallery_3331_114_44822.jpg

Cheddar and Boursin.  And the last 5 wonderful Castelvetrano olives!  Some men’s club Brunswick stew:

med_gallery_3331_114_69951.jpg

Fresh corn:

med_gallery_3331_114_51345.jpg

Couldn’t resist this in the store.  Not really ready yet, but pretty good.  And now that I’ve learned the microwave, shake out of the husk trick, we have corn a LOT!

• Like 13

I provided a salad with Green Goddess dressing, white sangria and dessert:

I've been wanting green goddess dressing and have been looking around for recipes.  Could you possibly share yours?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

JoNorvelleWalker:

Here's the ingredients, and my interpretation of Green Goddess Dressing from the 1968 edition of the "Better Homes and Gardens" cookbook:

1-1/2 c mayonnaise

1/4 c finely snipped chives

2 TBS tarragon vinegar

2 TBS snipped parsley

1 TBS crushed tarragon

4 anchovy fillets

1 green onion, finely snipped

All ingredients are mixed together, per the recipe, but get this:

This enormous amount of dressing (to me) is supposed to be put on only:

6 c romaine

3 c curly endive

9 oz pkg frozen artichoke hearts

1/2 c pitted ripe olives

2 oz. can rolled anchovy fillets

2 med. tomatoes cut into wedges (optional)

Which is enough salad to feed a small army, but to me, it would still be way too much dressing for the amount to be dressed.

From the 1976 "Betty Crocker Cookbook":

1 clove garlic, crushed

3 TBS anchovy paste or finely chopped anchovy fillets

3 TBS finely snipped chives

1 TBS lemon juice

3 TBS tarragon wine vinegar

1/2 c dairy sour cream

1 c mayonnaise or salad dressing

1/3 c finely snipped parsley

1/4 t salt

1/8 t freshly ground pepper

Mix it all up, and chill to allow flavors to blend.

This is a very good dressing that has fallen out of mainstream favor. 

I've made it several times before, using dried tarragon and regular vinegar. My advice is to use Italian flatleaf parsley like in the last recipe from Betty. Plenty of fresh herbs, of course is the intent and essence of this dressing, so if you can find all of them, including the tarragon, that's the route you should go.

It is very delicious, and Bon Appetit!

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Tai Yee Ma Kar Lui (大姨媽嫁女) (Fuzzy squash w/ cellophane noodles & dried shrimp).  Because.

DSCN5101b_800.jpg

Hiyayakko. 

Cold soft tofu, grated daikon, katsuobushi, scallions. 

Hokkaido kelp flavor naturally brewed soy sauce [Wei Chuan], water, Hondashi flakes [Ajinomoto], Hon-mirin [Takara]. zapped ½ minute, cooled to RT.

DSCN5106a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 4

image.jpg

Pasta with mushroom ragout and shaved Parmesan.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog