• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 3)

kayb

Rotuts--Your dumpling soup looks super good.  I love dumplings.  I don't get to eat them enough.

Paul--I'm such a sucker for anything pasta.  And with that yolk.  OMG.  

FauxPas--You and Ann's halibut have been haunting me.  I can't get it around here.  I'm trying to sit on my hands so I don't order some online.

Huiray--It's squash blossom time again!  Yours look delicious.

tdig--WOW, your ravioli look lovely.  

Enchiladas stuffed with the leftover crawfish for us last night.

photo 2.JPG

• Like 8

Ranz,

If I had any influence in the running of eG you would never be allowed to post another "bunny" until you were prepared to open a franchise within walking distance of my house! It's just not fair.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

these are the dumplings, above :

P&S dumplings.jpg

they seem to be made in BOS.

the ChinaMart has two types of FZ selections :  stuff in the usual upright freezers w doors.  they keep  "Prime" and other colorful

bags of Fz stuff there.  all good

and several open 'chest' freezers.  these dumplings come from there for some reason.  a bit plainer.

they also have a ton of Fz 'balls' of things like squid, shrimp, etc  in these chests.  Ive tried them but they end up rubbery when

simmered in soup.  too bad, some are tasty.

• Like 3

2015_06_01_296.JPG

"Baby" artichokes cooked in evoo, sherry, stock, pimenton, shallots, garlic. Finished with sherry vinegar and parsley.

2015_06_01_295.JPG

Penne with asparagus in a light sauce of stock, herbs, shallots, garlic and 2 cheeses. 

• Like 8

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Soup.  Water, "black" Chinese jujubes, dried Codonopsis pilosula root pieces (dong2 sam1; ), short-cut pork spare ribs, salt, simmer; wolfberries (goji berries), then wolfberry leaves right at the end.

DSCN5074a_800.jpg

The leaves are from a slightly different subspecies/variety of "wolfberry" than the one that usually is grown for the berries.

Chicken wings in a tangy tomato sauce.  Today's version a sort-of cross between chicken wings in tomato sauce (cánh gà sốt cà chua) and chicken wings with fish sauce (cánh gà chiến nước mắm).  A little over-floured, though.  Made saucy.

DSCN5068a_800.jpg

On the way there.

DSCN5064a_600.jpg

Plus white rice of course.

• Like 6

Ranz,

If I had any influence in the running of eG you would never be allowed to post another "bunny" until you were prepared to open a franchise within walking distance of my house! It's just not fair.

Haha.. You know it's weird, I personally know a lot of Indian South Africans who have emigrated to Canada, can't believe no one has exported the idea yet..

• Like 1

I started with a NY Times recipe for Green Strata with Goat Cheese & Herbs. I needed to use up some bread and some greens and herbs, so it worked. I made a half recipe and we still have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.   

It's a frittata with bread, I guess. 

A mix of beet greens, spinach, cilantro and Italian parsley for the greens. 

IMGP4303.JPG

The original recipe suggests baking eggs on top but it already had a few eggs in it, so I opted for some leftover olives and sweet peppers instead, along with the goat cheese.    

IMGP4346.JPG

Served with fresh tomatoes, the green of the 'strata' is kind of pretty. 

IMGP4350.JPG

And some local berries with vanilla ice cream for a simple dessert.  

IMGP4355.JPG

• Like 10

My father in law made a shepard's pie kind of thing with chicken on the weekend, and it reminded me that I haven't had a old school english fish pie for a long time.

Here's me smoking the fish (trevally) and drinking beer outside in the rain and freezing cold :

11356489_898988456824786_1465588931_n.jp

Smoked fish and parsley ready to go into the béchamel and mirepoix:

11376043_1633767083511799_1919524218_n.j

Finished pie and steamed broccoli:

11356926_460840100732622_280994305_n.jpg

I've made this before, but never with home smoked fish. What an amazing flavour. And it only took five minutes to smoke on my BBQ.

Edited by harrysnapperorgans (log)
  • Like 11

Anniversary dinner.  There is something blah about an anniversary falling on a Monday evening, especially a rainy one like yesterday (and today).  We were both too tired to go out.  I made broiled clams with bacon jam and chives

broiled clams.jpg

followed by seared scallops on asparagus risotto

scallops.jpg

• Like 16

Such gorgeous meals, everyone! The "mutton bunny," particularly (I had to google it, too), and the idea of a shepherd's pie with smoked fish just intrigues me. Do you use the peas and carrots as well, or just the fish and herbs and bechamel?This may be calling my name.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@Shelby, the hay soup is very old, traditional recipe from the alps. base is chicken stock/cream, 1:1, bring it  to a boil, add a good handfull good quality hay, cover and let it steam for 2 min. strain add some sparkling wine and season. it is very tasty, but don't let the hay steam too long. goes best with fish.

• Like 1

Such gorgeous meals, everyone! The "mutton bunny," particularly (I had to google it, too), and the idea of a shepherd's pie with smoked fish just intrigues me. Do you use the peas and carrots as well, or just the fish and herbs and bechamel?This may be calling my name.

no peas, although that would have been nice - I sautéed carrots, parsley stalks and leek, then added flour and made the bechamel. I put a big spoon of hot english mustard and a handful of cheddar in the sauce as well - I find as the smoked fish is quite strong, you have to put some good flavour in the sauce to make it cut. A flavourless gloopy sauce drags the whole thing down.

A touch of acid from the mustard, strong cheese and the parsley added right at the end works well. Squeeze of lemon would be nice too.

Edited by harrysnapperorgans (log)
  • Like 1

• Asam Heh. (Tamarind shrimp)  I used lots of tamarind for this today, I was in the mood.  (Palm sugar & dark soy sauce also goes into it)  Made lots of sauce for rice.

• Kai-lan stir-fried w/ garlic & quenched w/ oyster sauce + black sesame oil + a dash of double fermented soy sauce.  White pepper.

• White rice.  Had 3 bowls.

DSCN5078a_800.jpg

DSCN5082a_800.jpg

• Like 8