• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 3)

kayb

I recently tried to fancy up some steak - I cooked a cheap (but well marbled) piece of chuck steak for 72 hours at 131 F. I took the bag juices, reduced with some red wine, shallots, garlic, and thyme and butter to make a sauce. I stir fried some broccoli in the sauce, and served it with some watercress puree (blanched watercress, salt, ascorbic acid, and xanthan gum).

I also made a sort of thick blue cheese cream gel via melting some blue cheese in cream, then adding iota carageenan to set it to a solid gel. Then, it was blended to make a fluid gel - I was rather happy with how it turned out, it had a thick custardy mouthfeel, but tasted strongly like blue cheese.

tumblr_np6talbhVI1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

• Like 9

We started with a salad, based on what I bought at today's farm market. I forgot to get a sweet onion, that would have been a nice addition. I made a basic balsamic vinaigrette and added a bit of fresh basil as well (not shown). Simple classic spinach and strawberry salad with some local hazelnuts. 

IMGP4245-001.JPG

• Like 10

I wish I took a picture! NY strip steaks from Whole Paycheck- but my husband just bought a large big green egg and a millions accessories, since he did tours in Europe when he lived there he's a bit of an expert, the pup and I just say back and dozed off. Although the pup got her first taste of steak and went crazy., she is so our dog.

• Like 7

Paul--I guess I'm not a purist because that crab sandwich had me staring for a good three minutes.  

Anna--You're right.  No words were needed to describe that lovely meal.  You just can't beat soft eggs and asparagus.

Faux Pas--That looks like delicious spring on a plate!

MM--That paella looks so good.....monkfish is one of my favorites.

Septic tank problems again.  *pulling hair out*  So, in between obsessing and begging a company to come out here, crawfish were obtained from the Asian market.

A particularly mean group.  They were very aggressive lol.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 4.JPG

Strawberries for dessert.  The three on top with the stems still attached are from my garden.  We've had a grand total of five.  They sure are good, though.

photo 3.JPG

• Like 13

Shelby, those wings are my favourite too.   Wonderful crawfish dinner.  Not something found around here unfortunately.

Anna, lovely way to serve asparagus. Moe would love that for breakfast.

Potato%20and%20Cheese%20Quesadilla%20May

Home-made flour tortillas

for 

Potato%20and%20Cheese%20Quesadilla%20May

Potato, poblano peppers and cheese quesadillas.

• Like 10

Thanks, Ann_T. Have finally found the lard. I now need time to make ordinary flour tortillas for me and gluten-free flour tortillas for someone else. Too many projects -- not enough hours. Yours look amazingly good.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

this is a standard Soup Dinner I make often :

DumplingBokChoi.jpg

these are frozen dumplings from the ChinaMart, in this case pork and shrimp.  these are the denser version, that need to be cooked in stock

rather than just micro'd.  fantastic in stock.  My stock of choice is Mimor's Roast Chicken concentrate.  lower in salt.  I use an amount in

a given vol. of water to get to the 'salt point', add the dumplings  and simmer for a few minutes until tender.

Small dark green BokChoi also from the same market.  this takes a few seconds. then a lot of coarsely ground ginger from the Fz, off the heat.  sometimes

a few drops of chili oil.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 9

TJ's refrigerated tamales  ( not the Fz ).  I stocked up w quite a few before Christmas, green chicken and red pork.  they come 6/pack and are cryovac'd

you can get better if you live in the TamaleBelt, and have a local whole in the wall.  I don't.

this is the plate stage one.  looks fairly awful at this point :

TamaleBeans 1.jpg

one can of TJ's refried black beans, a good deal of Tj's Jack cheese, and some HEB  green chili sauce my sister sends me.  its generic

and costs about 89 cents.  they only carry mild, so I add the can to my Breville blender, with several green thai bird chili ( fresh ) to get the heat

I like.  some cornstarch to thicken, micro in a pyrex measuring jar w a small pyrex bowl for a 'lid'  micro until hot and thickened 

this goes over the dish and then its micro'd.  a little propane torch for color, then the fresh stuff :

TamleBeansDone.jpg

the green central pile is cilantro, green onion, and red diced onion.   the tomato is from a green house, so-so,  but OK here.

no M.R.  Ice cole Beer  ( very cold beer w added ice !   :huh: )

sticks to your ribs it does.

TJ's seems to be stocking these now 'all the time'  at least now, and where I shop.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 8

another very quick dinner :

TurkeyBurg.jpg

Im a fan of ground turkey.  this is the 93 % lean stuff.  love it.   here is an unshaped 'slice' directly from the package.  minimal handling 

w some Madras Curry ( :huh: ) powder on both the top and bottom.  sauté in a hot pan until rare.  note the jus. dare devil I am.

avocado w TJ's greek feta salad dressing and some green onions

fast, delicious !

BTW  those are not 'grill marks'  but the texture of the meat 'as is' directly from the styro tray the stuff comes in.

• Like 7

a few times year I cook with friends, this weekends production:

mintscone, peacream, sprouts, deer ham. balsamico pearls

Asparagus tart  on cedri, marinated asparagus, orange infused asparagus

hay soup, trout dumplings, trout tartar

quail with cream of young garlic, pickled rhubarb

deer, baked in speck, young cabbage and a dough with beech sawdust, carrots, caramelized with dandelion syrup, brioche dumpling, fir syrup

chocolate leafes, sorbet of young fig leafes, pepper/blossom glass, strawberry ragout, strawberry marshmallow, strawberry  jelly, rosemarysand

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG

IMG_1185.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

IMG_1193.JPG

IMG_1200.JPG

• Like 13

Oh know !

sooo tasty looking

but .....

deer ham

hay soup

deer, baked in speck

dough with beech sawdust

fir syrup

sooo new to me

tasty Id bet

'hay' seems popular now

:laugh: 

• Like 3

Love Sundays to Create:  My rif  on a Carbonara  dish

Dinner for my SON

So.here is the BASICs

Prosciutto cups-- baked 15 mins@375. Cool

Sous Vide egg-- 63C/1 hr

Pasta-- Latini die extruded pasta..linguini

Sauce- green garlic/creme/parm

18321829445_bc0b78247e_k.jpg

• Like 16

Its good to have Morels

Chicken and beans.

smoke1_zps161owmdv.jpg

Brined the bird with 5% salt and 3% sugar, applied the rub and left it in the fridge on a rack loosely covered with cheesecloth overnight. Smoked with cherry wood at 250 F to 160 F internal temp. The beans are white beans with tomato sauce, mustard, vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire, pork rub and a mixture of diced bacon, onion and garlic sautéed together. I mixed in a diced pork tenderloin that I rubbed (same rub I mixed into the beans) and smoked to 140 F yesterday and tossed them in the smoker with the chicken. Potato salad (not pictured) completed the meal.

Edit: left out some of the bean ingredients.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 12

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

image.jpg

Green beans and lamb chops.

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Love Sundays to Create:  My rif  on a Carbonara  dish

Wow, looks so beautiful and so tasty - I bet your son loved it! 

We started with a really simple cucumber and radish salad. Persian cukes in a simple vinaigrette dressing and then radishes added, with a bit of feta cheese and fresh parsley. 

IMGP4256.JPG

Then we had fresh local halibut - done Veracruz style! Black olives instead of green. Not sure you can even see the halibut in these pics, which is a shame. It was a fine piece of fish and very tasty. 

IMGP4267.JPG

IMGP4286.JPG

• Like 10

Earlier – Deep-fried barely battered baby zucchini w/ flowers, plus broccoli florets.

DSCN5050a_800.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later – "Kam Heong" Clams.  Loosely after this recipe.  More liquid (mainly water) was also added for more sauce.  White rice. 

DSCN5058a_800.jpg

DSCN5063a_800.jpg

On the way there.

DSCN5056a_800.jpg

Salted taucheo, crushed w/ a spoon.  Madras curry paste slurried w/ the soaking water for the har mai; more of the water was added after the photo was taken.

Minced garlic, minced ginger, roughly diced shallots, sliced Thai-type hot green chillies, minced pre-soaked har mai (dried de-shelled shrimp), curry leaves (Murraya koenigii)(கறிவேப்பிலை).

• Like 6

A three and a half lb whole paycheck chicken done on the BGE, beer can style. A can of Sam Summer Ale, lemons and the BGE chicken seasoning which I tasted and liked before it was rubbed down. Such fun in torrential down pours that even the dog was disinterested (I definitely gave her three bites of left over steak for being so calm while we ate) juicy chicken and good corn- I was shocked that my husband found good corn. Tons of mosquito bites and two changes of clothes thanks to the rain, but dinner was awesome

• Like 6

I'm getting used to pinkish sous vide pork.  Sage leaves from my garden.  Twice cooked sous vide mashed potatoes (220 g potato, actually).  I've probably had better mashed potato but not recently.  Thirty second haricots verts.  Methode Rotuts ad libitum...but not the funny MR this time.  Hehe.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou