• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 3)

kayb

Kale & spinach in chicken broth w/ chicken fat, leftovers from here, with vermicelli added in. Dressed w/ sliced red-streaked fresh spring onions.

DSCN4990a_800.jpg

The vermicelli.

DSCN4996a_600.jpg

A sauté of garlic, pork snecken (see here) cut into rounds, halved morels, trimmed broccoli rabe (see here); tossed w/ al dente linguine [Rustichella d'Abruzzo] in the pan plus a bit of pasta water.  Dressed w/ chopped spring onions on the plate.

DSCN4999a_800.jpg

Fresh mango slices.

DSCN5005a_800.jpg

• Like 7

Chicken roasted in hay

I saw instructions for this (Country Living) and thought it seemed a bit odd, but I guess it's got quite a history? Have you done it before? Did the hay infuse a nice flavour? Is it a method you would use again? 

• Like 2

bmac.jpg

Tonight I cooked my first meal in my new kitchen in new home. I had to think long and hard on what to cook, but settled for an old favourite which I once ate in a SE-Asian themed restaurant in Nanning, China.

It is beef marinaded in garlic, chili pepper and Thai fish sauce. This is then stir fried until cooked but allowed to char a little to get smoky flavours. Then diced mango is added and heated through.

I served it with pan-fried asparagus and rather unusually, couscous. I normally would serve it with rice, but my rice bucket seems to have become lost in the move.

Seconds were had.

• Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Huiray, I want to eat at your table.  

My husband's birthday dinner.

Grilled%20Filet%20Mignon%20Moe%27s%20BirG

Grilled%20Filet%20Mignon%20Moe%27s%20Bir

Grilled Filet Mignon with roasted potatoes, corn and asparagus.

It is a tradition that his birthday cake/dessert is always something with strawberries.  

Strawberry%20Rolled%20Meringue%20Moe%27s

Rolled Meringue filled with strawberries and whipped cream.

Strawberry%20Rolled%20Meringue%20Moe%27s

• Like 11

kayb, first I baked a brioche, crumbled it and let it dry ;-) with egg yolks, I do following: take an eggcup, line it with cling film., crack in the yolk, twist the cling film tightly, freeze. once frozen, remove the cling film and roll in flour, beaten egg, brioche crumbs. put back into the eggs and into crums to receive a more stable crust.. deep fry and enjoy

Fascinating. Thanks!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Ann--Your husband is a lucky guy :)

Liuzhou--What a nice first meal!

I would think it would be kind of hard to find untreated wheat straw......we have wheat planted this year...should be ready by end of June.  But, I know it's been treated.....   I, too, am very curious about the taste the straw imparts on the chicken, MM.  I have never seen this before.  Sure is a pretty presentation.

Pizza night last night.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

• Like 8

Cooking in hay is an old technique. (Or techniques, really, since you can use it multiple ways)

Stable to Table Dining.

Hitting the Hay

Fergus Henderson's Ham in Hay

Heston Blumenthal's Hay Smoked Mackerel

Heston also uses that technique to smoke fish for pies. The technique starts at about 12:40 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UULOU7bOICs

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 2

I colored the bird in the pot, before then placing in the hay, which I nested the bird into, covered the pot, then placed in a 400ºF oven for about 40 minutes. I used a rather large (34qt) Staub cast iron pot for this. Once cooked, I allowed the bird to rest in the pot for another 30-40 minutes. The hay permeates the flesh of the bird and offers a lovely, yet subtle, grassy/smoky flavor. I served the bird with some morels and potato gnocchi. Very nice. I would repeat. 

• Like 11

Late night/early morning meal.

A slow-simmered stove-top braise of: smashed garlic + peanut oil, chopped-up skin-on-bone-on chicken breast, fermented bean curd ["TF"; Szechuan brand] (四川白腐乳) (this one) smooshed into the mix in the pot plus some of the steeping liquid, skinny bamboo shoots (canned), unpeeled straw mushrooms (canned), fresh wood-ear fungus, water, simmer, bean curd skin rolls (腐竹).  Seasoning adjusted, simmered till done.

White rice.

DSCN5009b_800.jpg

• Like 3

image.jpg

Grilled asparagus and portobello cap over little gem lettuce with tomatoes and shaved Parmesan. A honey – balsamic reduction was the "drizzle".

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

mm that sounds fantastic. Where do you source your hay?

From a farmer just up the road from me. Bought a whole bale, so I will certainly be seeking more uses for it. 

Tonight I had a beautiful black bass, still in rigor mortis. I am a big fan of raw fish/tartares lately. 

Tartare

kquCp8c.png
Grilled with the first chanterelles, in a saffron jus
Ox0DS0c.png
  • Like 8

mm84321, I'm fascinated by the hay technique. Did you soak the hay first? Did it generate a lot of smoke? 

btbyrd, thanks for those links. 

I'm thinking if it's a big smoke generator, it would be simple enough to remove to the grill outdoors.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Crappy shot  and prep  ( post whining )  :wacko:   That being A  Pinot tasting

Caprese Soft-shell Crab sandwich!!  The [purist will hate me..BUT

Crab dredged in Rice flour and Cajun season and fried in Clarified Butter

Tarter sauce/ onion& tomato( marinaded in Red Wine vinegar plus stuff ) lettuce and a toasted Hoagie Bun

IMG_8085.JPG

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 8

Its good to have Morels

image.jpg
  • Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog