• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 3)

kayb

Dinner was a broiled piece of previously braised chicken that had lurked in the refrigerator far too long.  Along with a salad of spring mix, hexed Campari tomatoes (not sure what to call tomatoes cut into six parts, though the Campari were on sale), thinly sliced fresh red radishes for crunch.  Much soave, non-rotutsed.

Dessert -- of which I seldom partake save imbibed from Baccarat -- almond angel food cake and vanilla ice cream, accompanied by a glass of milk.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Thank you, caroled.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Romaine lettuce blanched in oiled hot water.  Drained, dressed w/ oyster sauce & ground black pepper.

DSCN4964a_800.jpg

Fried rice.  Peanut oil, sliced garlic, chopped scallions, chopped (soaked beforehand) har mai (dried de-shelled shrimp), couple of farm-fresh eggs (scrambled in situ), 2-day-old white rice, chopped young Chinese celery, the water used for soaking the har mai.  High heat.  Stir around.  Covered/uncovered as appropriate.

DSCN4969a_800.jpg

See here; scroll down a bit.

• Like 5

No pictures, because I forgot to take them. Sunday we had brisket; I decided I didn't have time to SV it, as I only got it out of the freezer on Saturday for Sunday dinner. So I put it in the oven overnight at 250 on Saturday night, starting about 10 p.m., in a Coca-Cola sauce consisting of a 20-ounce bottle of Coke, a cup of commercially prepared chili sauce, and a packet of Lipton onion soup mix. That's the canonical southern "Atlanta Brisket," as documented by the Southern Foodways Association.

Some 12 hours later, after it had cooked for 9 and cooled in the oven, I took it out to slice, which proved pretty impossible, being that it was so tender as to just pull into shards. Strained and defatted the sauce, then cooked it down to a thicker version, which I served with it.

We had it with fresh corn, cut off the cob and served cream style; homemade rolls and purple-hulled peas from last summer's crop, from the freezer. It was threatening rain, so we'll delay the traditional grilling until later.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

The arugula in my garden is currently in abundance, so I made a pistou from it, along with some fava beans and perhaps 1/4th a clove of garlic. This was the base to calamari, stuffed with a mixture of roasted eggplant, parmesan, tomato, anchovy, and caper, amongst other things. Some slices of dehydrated lemon, raw fava and lettuce for its crunch. 

qw0jLD0.png

Quite attractive, mm84321.  Ditto all of your other meals you have posted about.  I'm also glad you are one of the very few here who does not NEED to have meat (red meat especially but all other sorts are included) for a meal or a series of meals.  :-)  

Edited by huiray (log)

Last night was a one-pot meal, utilizing some chicken drumstricks and creating just a little more room in the freezer. Heh. Lemon-garlic roasted chicken with potatoes, carrots and onion. Not bad for quick and easy. Used the Cuisinart steam-oven to steam-bake. 

IMGP4162.JPG

IMGP4173.JPG

• Like 5

were the drumsticks pre-cooked ?

always glad to see the CSB in action.

this has given me some ideas for similar 'one-pot' meals where I can use the CSB outside when its warm

were the drumsticks pre-cooked ?

always glad to see the CSB in action.

this has given me some ideas for similar 'one-pot' meals where I can use the CSB outside when its warm

No, they just cooked along with the veggies. I cook them fairly low and slow. 300F for 60 - 75 mins. Depends on what is in the pot. The carrots get very well cooked but my husband sometimes likes them better that way. I prefer chicken thighs but needed to use up the drumsticks. I rubbed some crushed garlic and thyme and a tiny bit of olive oil on the chicken and let it sit for a bit before cooking. I love the CSB. 

mg :

i can't imagine anything better 

those ribs look perfect.

I hope people had thirds.

dod you make the ribs on your pellet smoker ?

I have a Yoder  coming in 4 - 6 weeks.

after I look it over, maybe a thread on

Stick-burners and Pellets smokers ?

looking forward to it.

Edited by rotuts (log)

mg :

i can't imagine anything better 

those ribs look perfect.

I hope people had thirds.

dod you make the ribs on your pellet smoker ?

I have a Yoder  coming in 4 - 6 weeks.

after I look it over, maybe a thread on

Stick-burners and Pellets smokers ?

looking forward to it.

Yes, on my Rec Tec.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

mm84321, the dehydrated lemon slices sound intriguing!  Are they crispy?  I love tentacles too. 

Yes, they come out crispy. I slice the lemons paper thin (usually a mandoline works best, but I did not care to bother) then sprinkle very lightly with caster sugar and place between two silpats to keep them flat and dehydrate in my convection oven (don't have a dehydrator) at around 170F for a few hours. They add a really nice concentrated touch of acidity. Works great with any fish, I'd imagine.

Quite attractive, mm84321.  Ditto all of your other meals you have posted about.  I'm also glad you are one of the very few here who does not NEED to have meat (red meat especially but all other sorts are included) for a meal or a series of meals.  :-)  

I appreciate it. I really have not made a conscious decision to forgo meat, it just seems to be the natural progression of my palate, favoring fresh vegetables and seafood to all else. I do still love a roasted chicken, pigeon or sweetbreads, on occasion. I can't really seem to digest red meat like I used to, so typically I avoid it.   

• Like 3

Beetroot-cured salmon and salad. There were also boiled Rosevel potatoes and sparkling Riesling. Chive flowers were torn apart over the salad right before eating.

KK3Z524.jpg

4hhLdiu.jpg

NgKYv8N.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 9

image.jpg

Real fast food/real food fast. Microwaved sweet potato with butter and Japanese ichimi togarishi.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

would you be willing to pass on your times and temps and pellets ?

Sure.  First, apply Memphis Dust rub (from AmazingRibs.com).  I still make the version with salt so I apply it a few hours in advance to dry brine the ribs.  Then they go on the smoker at 225F for 5 hours (for Baby Backs, 6 for STL).  A half hour before the finish, apply sauce to the ribs.  Pellets are from CookinPellets - their Perfect Mix blend, a blend of Hickory, Hard Maple, Apple and Cherry.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Tonight's dinner was chosen partly to use up some produce from the farm market. More of the lovely nugget potatoes, sweet onion (not sure where it was grown), local greenhouse tomatoes, green beans and some feta cheese. It's a warm potato salad that I like to make anyway but we had all the ingredients on hand and it was a good choice because we had a meeting that ran late. 

I like to organize mine. 

IMGP4179.JPG

My husband likes to mix his up more. 

IMGP4182.JPG

• Like 6

That looks delicious, FauxPas!  Very summery and simple.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

EV olive oil, shallots, ramp bulbs, butter, calf liver slices (plus the marinate of sake, salt, lots of black pepper), sugar snap peas, Cipriani tagliarelle (dripping wet straight from the cooking pot).  Toss & mix in pan. 

DSCN4977a_800.jpg

DSCN4972a_800.jpg

• Like 4

Dinner was a broiled piece of previously braised chicken that had lurked in the refrigerator far too long.  Along with a salad of spring mix, hexed Campari tomatoes (not sure what to call tomatoes cut into six parts, though the Campari were on sale), thinly sliced fresh red radishes for crunch.  Much soave, non-rotutsed.

Dessert -- of which I seldom partake save imbibed from Baccarat -- almond angel food cake and vanilla ice cream, accompanied by a glass of milk.

I work in a library with reference librarians who are very generous of their time.  My tomatoes were sexpartitioned, not hexed.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

There is this strange, bright, warm and glowing orb high up in the sky......it might be the sun.......it's been so long lol.

Enchiladas again.  Sounded good.  Need to use the cilantro in the garden.  A little salad and some Rancho Gordo black beans on the side.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

• Like 10

Beautiful dinner, Shelby. I'll bet you're glad to see the sun! Are those chives or spring onions chunked onto your enchiladas? My chives died and I've had them on the brain during a surprisingly long search for more plants...so I may have a skewed view of your photos.

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Beautiful dinner, Shelby. I'll bet you're glad to see the sun! Are those chives or spring onions chunked onto your enchiladas? My chives died and I've had them on the brain during a surprisingly long search for more plants...so I may have a skewed view of your photos.

Spring onions from the garden.  

I'm sorry about your chives :(  Have you tried finding them on the internet?  I've had really good luck with Burpee mail order.  Gurneys...not so much.

Spring onions from the garden.  

I'm sorry about your chives :(  Have you tried finding them on the internet?  I've had really good luck with Burpee mail order.  Gurneys...not so much.

Given my lifestyle, starting from seeds isn't practical. I finally found live plants at a 2nd-choice nursery yesterday. My 1st-choice nursery only had garlic chives. The woman there expressed surprise that mine had died; she thought it was as hardy as mint. I hope these survive. I really needed chives a couple of days ago for my dinner. :-(

• Like 1