• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 3)

kayb

I took a hike earlier today on the Appalachian Trail, and could not help but notice the overwhelming amount of purple flowers I saw along my path. When I got home I felt inspired to make the salad. Purples and blues are my favorite colors.  

• Like 4

NY strip loin, quickly seared on the BBQ. I am not sure that sous vide is better, if you are only cooking one or two steaks to eat right away. I bought an Anova and maybe should use it more. 

Local Warba nugget potatoes (steam-baked) and green onions and some mushrooms that needed to be finished off. We adore these potatoes, so creamy and fresh, in season during late Spring/early Summer.

For UK people - someone asked me if they were similar to Jersey Royals, but I have never had those, can anyone tell me more about their taste and availability?

IMGP4096.JPG

IMGP4097.JPG

IMGP4103.JPG 

• Like 11

Don't know about everybody else, but dinner here is a couple good glasses of Glendalough mountain strength poitin.

Preceded by beautifully pink thirty six hour chuck and a lovely plate of thirty second haricot vert, with a drizzle of garlic vinaigrette.  A bottle or two (since I found one open in the refrigerator) of Jacob's Creek Reserve.

I spent much of the afternoon researching retrograde potato starch for mashed potatoes, but in the end I just baked the potato over a deep bed of coarse salt.  It was lovely with a little salt and butter.  And freshly ground black pepper.

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Salad.  Red & green lettuces, tomatoes, sautéed sugar snap peas, oil, balsamic vinegar, black pepper.

DSCN4946a_800.jpg

Oil, knackwurst, sauerkraut, water, salt, rice vinegar, bay leaves.

DSCN4951b_800.jpg

• Like 7

DIL is at work tonight so son made dinner for the two of us. It was hamburgers but different and very good. He added stuff to the ground beef that I thought would make it taste 'teriyaki-y' but it didn't. It just brought out the flavor of the beef, then he dressed it with bahn mi type vegetables.  Here is how he described it. He parboiled the bean sprouts, BTW.

Korean inspired burger (freestyled): 80/20 ground beef with Korean red pepper paste, sesame oil, pepper, salt, garlic. Carrots and radishes pickled in rice vinegar, sugar, and water (also used it for dipping sauce), green onions, bean sprouts, and mayo mixed with a drop of soy sauce..

We had root beer floats for dessert.

• Like 5

image.jpg

Cabbage rolls with a couple of slices of homemade baguette.

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

When we cook steaks these days, we always seem to have some left over. But that's OK, because we make steak fajitas the next day. Sauté some peppers and onions (maybe some garlic), throw in rare/med-rare steak slices at the end with a bit of lime juice and prepared or home-made salsa. Wrap - today was store-bought whole wheat tortillas which were not too bad, though I have occasionally made my own. :smile:  Top with fresh green onions and a bit of salsa and sour cream on the side. Not elegant, but a good use of a small bit of leftover steak.

Forgot to take picture after they were wrapped.

And no green peppers, so as not to offend rotuts' tender sensibilities. Heh. Truth is that sweet green peppers are my least fave pepper, though I can eat them. And they do make a sauté look prettier, to have that third colour!  

IMGP4118.JPG

IMGP4136.JPG

• Like 7

Dinner tonight was corn.  On the cob.  Just corn on the cob.  Boiled four minutes per Joy of Cooking.  None of this modernist nonsense.  What made this possible was IPA.

But with all respect to Anna, I like nathanm's thirty minutes at 60 deg C better.  Both methods require lots of butter and copious lengths of dental floss.

And as we speak I'm enjoying another wee sip of poitin.  Just because.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

JoNorvelleWalker,

Whenever our homegrown corn came in that's what we had for dinner, with nothing else but butter and salt, several ears apiece.

I looked forward to the harvest, and have fond memories of these dinners that to some would be a deprivation, but to us were a celebratory feast. Thanks for bringing them back.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

pizza.jpg

Well, everything has been moved to the new house, but remains in boxes, so cooking last night was out of the question.

I took myself of to the local pizza place. Chinese pizza is weird. As I believe I've said before, Chinese cooks cook stuff they have never actually seen in the flesh.  So, things often look like the real deal, but are nowhere near.

My local place declares itself to be Mom's Italian Style Hand Made Pizza. It's better than most but I wonder how many Italian places offer Thai Durian Pizza, as they do.

So I got myself what they call a Classic Bacon Pizza. I carefully told them that I didn't want the sweetcorn kernels which Chinese cooks think are essential in every pizza - even the durian one. I hate sweetcorn.

I seldom go there and have only eaten in the restaurant once, but occasionally take one home. They don't deliver, but it's only minutes away. Normally, when I get home, I pimp it up with anchovies and capers and things and bung it in the toaster oven. But which box are the anchovies in? Or the capers? Or the oven?

So tonight I ate it as it came. It was OK.

They cook it on one of those conveyor belt pizza machines which are nowhere near hot enough, but it was kind of OK. Thin crust (my preference).

mom.jpg

http://liuzhou.co.uk/wordpress/2013/11/02/a-visit-with-mom/

• Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I would feel betrayed if I ordered a meat pizza and found kernels of corn on it. I wonder what a windmill has to do with Mom's cooking?

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I would feel betrayed if I ordered a meat pizza and found kernels of corn on it. I wonder what a windmill has to do with Mom's cooking?

Yeah. They love windmills round here. So Italian! Baffles me, too. I could give you many examples, but would be way off topic.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Well, it's a shop selling quasi-European food, as interpreted by folks in a certain part of Asia.  Those windmills are also European, it seems to me - so why not? It's "European" food with European symbols in a restaurant run by non-Europeans (presumably).  I dare say halfway around the globe we have quasi-Asian food with Asian symbols used by many shops and restaurants run by non-Asians and even by Asians (wherever from Asia they may be from) catering to Caucasian folks who think of Asia without differentiation – and many of whom (not all, of course) would not be able to tell genuine Cantonese or Hunanese or Shanghainese food from facsimiles thereof or even be aware of the differences.  :-) ;-) 

Edited by huiray (log)

liuzhou,

Thanks for sharing your pizza from China. I'm always fascinated by your posts about a place, that at this point in my life, I'll probably not visit in person. Anything can happen, I know.

I love sweet corn and adore pizza, but not together!

God speed on getting your home together again. Moving house is right up there with death of a loved one on the psychological stress scale. I sympathize.

I would eat a "pizza" made of a crispy flour tortilla with chili, onions, corn, avocado and cilantro topped with queso fresco.

I put a pork butt into the crock pot for dinner tonight with some NC vinegar-based BBQ sauce so we can have it for dinner tomorrow. I used the recipe for the sauce I always use, from the Mason's fund-raisers.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

20150525_163413_zpswmvvwdk7.jpg

Dinner today,   Crispy chicken fillets, oven fries, broccoli and  corn salsa . A really lovely meal that we all enjoyed.

• Like 8

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Thank you to all the men and women who served to keep us safe and free.  You made the ultimate sacrifice for us.

I hope everyone is having a great Monday!  I know a lot of us are very soggy and storm-swept.  I'm watching our river rise...and rise...and rise.

When my mom was here she brought us some elk burger.  Elk is one of my favorite meats.  My husband grilled these burgers in a serious downpour.  Probably not a great choice for dinner last night, but they sure were good :)

On the side I fried some onions, mushrooms, asparagus and pickles.

photo.JPG

• Like 10

Love me some fried pickles. Burger looks seriously good. Y'all in any flooding danger out there? Stay dry!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

The arugula in my garden is currently in abundance, so I made a pistou from it, along with some fava beans and perhaps 1/4th a clove of garlic. This was the base to calamari, stuffed with a mixture of roasted eggplant, parmesan, tomato, anchovy, and caper, amongst other things. Some slices of dehydrated lemon, raw fava and lettuce for its crunch. 

qw0jLD0.png

• Like 3

As always Huiray, that looks delicious.( especially the patan)

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

My first post on dinner thread.... :raz:

we had burgers & hotdogs with different salads yesterday. 

so pork chops was on the menu tonight. I made the family's favorite tomato, cucumber and onion salad to go with it. lettuce salad with our ginger-miso dressing. Pork chops is from my local amish farmers market. 

we all enjoyed it, down to our 16 month old son. 

IMG_4153.JPG

• Like 16