• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 3)

kayb

Made blue marlin fish cakes last night. Blue marlin is a white mild and firm fish. Poached the fish then pulsed it in the food processor, added egg, pulsed sourdough day old bread, dried milk, panko, old bay, pepper, onion, garlic, chives and a little hoisin sauce.

DSC_0001.JPG

• Like 10

Try "patan", then.  I've described this here and here.

Spaghetti aglio e olio is indeed a well-regarded and time-honored dish.  I do variations and riffs of it too.

This looked and sounded so good that I had to riff off it for my lunch. I had to use what was in the house which included dried Ramen noodles, sesame oil, garlic (far, far less than you can tolerate!), hot pepper flakes, a drizzle of soy sauce and some chopped scallions. Interestingly if one googles "patan" very little comes up.

image.jpg

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Weinoo those shrimp look perfectly cooked and I bet they were nice and sweet.  We have spot prawn season underway from the West Coast.  Now I gotta get some.  And those beans and rice, yum.  Love beans and rice.  

Thanks - they are 16-20s, and I literally cook them for about 2 minutes before the heat goes off. Jealous about your local spots.

weinoo,

My favourite way to prepare shrimp and served in a cazuela, too. But I just couldn't push the like button because you spoiled it all with beans!

But, but, but - Rancho Gordo!

I've been stocking up on cazuelas, and lots of other great Spanish stuff at Despana.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

how did you cook the Salmon, if I might ask ?

Id get that anytime.

Not quite stir fried. It was done at low temperature "stir fried" so it wouldn't get overcooked.

At the exact temperature when the meat started to flake.

dcarch

This looked and sounded so good that I had to riff off it for my lunch. I had to use what was in the house which included dried Ramen noodles, sesame oil, garlic (far, far less than you can tolerate!), hot pepper flakes, a drizzle of soy sauce and some chopped scallions. Interestingly if one googles "patan" very little comes up.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hope you got some enjoyment from that.  :-) 

"Patan" is an onomatopoeic name given to the dish at this shop specializing in pork innards in Yokohama, as portrayed in the Japanese TV series Kodoku no Gurume Season 3 episode 2 as I described in my old post and which I referred to above.  The sound made by the cleaver smashing cloves of garlic (using the flat of the cleaver) then the pushing-aside with the edge of the cleaver (as seen late in Part 2 of the episode) was described as sounding like "pa" - "tan".  The dish was/is a staff dish, not on the menu, but the regulars demanded to have it too and started asking for it by that name.  It became a favorite off-menu dish for those in the know about it.  The shop is an actual shop, not a creation, and the dish exists in reality. :-)  One can watch the relevant episode of the TV series at the link I gave in my old post.

A modification I also do is to briefly zap a slurry of the chopped garlic in sesame oil (in the microwave) then pour the mix onto the yakisoba and mix that up with the chopped scallions & soy sauce, as i described in the other old post of mine.

Edited by huiray (log)

Prepared a couple of chicken dishes last night...

Drumsticks slathered with whole grain mustard and marmalade. Baked at 400F...Ate that last night topped with green peppercorns. I had to pickle the last couple of packages as we were going away for a month. Had some brine left from a jar of commercial pickles, the kind that is not too vinegary. The peppercorns are much better than the commercial jars...closer to the natural taste.

eGulletMarmaladeChicken6354.jpg

Also put together a pot of Thai curry chicken as I was planning to do lots of garden work today after work...

eGulletThai Coconut Curry Chicken6358.jpg

Memories of Thailand...Pretty tasty but missing the essence of the Mekong River;-) The version we were served on the slow boat while travelling down the river somehow tasted better!

• Like 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Green/baby garlic, Arbosana EV olive oil [California Olive Ranch], baby zucchini, pencil asparagus, morel mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, angel hair pasta [De Cecco], parsley.  Salted/seasoned to taste.

DSCN4909a_800.jpg

DSCN4912b_800.jpg

• Like 7

Beef & Kai-choy stir-fry.  White rice.

Beef slices (boneless chuckeye) marinated w/ Shaohsing wine (salted), rice bran oil, ground white pepper, double fermented soy sauce, fish sauce, corn starch.  Briefly stir-fried in very hot pan (marinade added in) w/ peanut oil plus a bit of chopped garlic then reserved while just barely not-pink, with all juices and pan residues.  Trimmed, still-damp/lightly wet kai-choy (large-leafed mustard greens, mainly hearts; fresh season's early crop) stir-fried in a cleaned pan w/ peanut oil & generous chopped smashed garlic, salted lightly; reserved beef added back in, everything tossed around till just done.

DSCN4917c_800.jpg

• Like 5

Impromptu tagine. I marinated chicken thighs at room temp in salt, ras-el-hanout and olive oil. Meanwhile, sautéed shallots, garlic, celery and carrots in the Rifi with even more olive oil. Added chicken and a mixture of a small amount of crushed tomatoes with tomato paste and water, brought to a boil, and then simmered covered for an hour or longer.

tagine.jpg

• Like 5

Green/baby garlic, Arbosana EV olive oil [California Olive Ranch], baby zucchini, pencil asparagus, morel mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, angel hair pasta [De Cecco], parsley.  Salted/seasoned to taste.

attachicon.gifDSCN4909a_800.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN4912b_800.jpg

Those morels look really juicy and fresh. We had morels growing in our garden mulch a few years ago.

• Like 1

image.jpg

Repurposed shepherds pie filling that was in my freezer.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My nephew had a bacon and bourbon themed party so I took some bacon and bourbon themed food plus another 'B'.. Barbeque. I made smoked bacon rolls, took some of the brisket I smoked on Wednesday and also made some bacon-bourbon BBQ sauce.

20150523_155123_zpsn8xy9viq.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 12

Very nice, MM.  Did you use a balsamic type dressing?

Thank you. Yes. A combination of barolo, for its acidity, and balsamic, for its sweetness. It needed very little dressing, as the herbs provide enough of their own flavor. 

To answer your previous question, the swiss chard was stuffed with their stems, some mushroom duxelle, onion, egg yolk and herbs. The sauce was caramelized celery root with tomato and mushroom stock. 

• Like 2