• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 3)

kayb

We made Pork and Rhubarb  curry that was so amazingly  tasty, flavour and   just perfect that we ate it all and then said , hrm didnt we take out the  system camera to take some nice and food pictures today?

Yeah, the food was too good so no picture but I be making this  curry again!

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Rotuts, I'm with you on the bell pepper, but I'm partial to eggplant! (and that looked quite lovely. I'm waiting for them to some in season because there's some moussaka in my future....

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Smithy, I have been using the Modernist Cuisine at Home method of preparing eggplants:  Peel (or ribbon peel....the skin gets quite tough); then slice around 1/2 inch; place on paper towels then cover with paper towels; microwave on high for between 2.5 to 3 minutes depending on what you are doing with it next.  They come out nicely tender.  I usually then spray with a little oil and grill to get some nice outsides or in this case I did spray with a little oil then layered with provolone cheese, roasted red peppers, fresh torn basil leaves and then dumped in 2 cups of our garden tomatoes from the freezer.  Baked at 400 degrees uncovered for around 25 minutes.  It was really good and I will take 2 stars from an eggplant-hater :laugh:

• Like 1

Rotuts--My Grandpa always likes a fresh green onion or three with his meal.  I remember a dish of green onions often on the lunch and dinner table..always with salt.  I guess I am 

Thank you, Patrick!  I've yet to try to make my own tamales.  I'm betting yours are wonderful!

Shelby - here is a link to my tamale experiences via Diana Kennedy (plus a little help from my friends)...

• Like 1

Pad Kee Mao with rice noodles & chicken (kuai-tiao phat khi mao kai; ก๋วยเตี๋ยวผัดขี้เมาไก่) in the style of Leela Punyaratabandhu's mom's dish, as described in her recipe (pg 133) of her book, with tomatoes and no egg. The recipe is also accessible here.  I used holy Thai basil chili paste (this one [JHL], on the left of the pic) as well as fresh sweet Thai basil (horapha; โหระพา).  I also used lots more Thai chillies and more shallots than in the recipe and just free-poured the sauces together without measuring.  :-)  The palm sugar was dissolved into the sauce mixture.

DSCN4904b_800.jpg

• Like 9

Thank you all, Jvalentino, kayb, Okanagancook, Shelby, liuhou, huiray, patrickamory, Anna N, CatPoet, Dejah, mm84321, btbyrt, scubadoo, Ann_t, Kim, ------- and many others, you have been such an inspiration to me. Your mastery of the culinary arts is truly impressive. I bow to you all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spring is in full swing. I have been busy taking advantage of the bounties from my backyard. Foraging for every meal.

dcarch

Swai on daylily shoots

Swai%20daylily%20shoots_zpsvjwwbaxh.jpg

Swai%20daylily%20shoots%202_zps71rsf5cn.

Salmon on violet greens

violet%20salmon%202_zpsiqyn1yiu.jpg

violet%20salmon_zpsqiwjekev.jpg

Lamb, ramps

lamb%20ramp%202015_zpsrcfk3d9v.jpg

lamb%20ramp%202015%20a_zpsei5qspsg.jpg

• Like 10

dcarch, thanks and always interested to see what kind of plate is going to appear from your hand. They are normally stellar and definitely innovative. Also inspiring me. That is what is wonderful about eGullet.

• Like 3

The Last Supper

At least in this house. After 13 years and after two weeks of packing, the big move is scheduled for tomorrow.

Tonight something quick and simple. Inspired, I suppose by spaghetti alla puttanesca, it is simply spaghetti with garlic, olives, sun dried tomatoes and anchovies. I couldn't remember which box the capers were in, so they got left out. 

tls.jpg

Going to have an early night. Tomorrow will be traumatic.

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The Last Supper

At least in this house. After 13 years and after two weeks of packing, the big move is scheduled for tomorrow.

Tonight something quick and simple. Inspired, I suppose by spaghetti alla puttanesca, it is simply spaghetti with garlic, olives, sun dried tomatoes and anchovies. I couldn't remember which box the capers were in, so they got left out. 

tls.jpg

Going to have an early night. Tomorrow will be traumatic.

liuzhou,

Reminded of an even simpler dish – – spaghetti with garlic and olive oil. I had heard about it for years but thought it sounded so boring. Then I worked with a gal from an Italian family who frequently enjoyed this for dinner. Eventually I had to give it a go and was amazed at how good it was. So I bet your "Last Supper" was extremely tasty.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

liuzhou,

Reminded of an even simpler dish – – spaghetti with garlic and olive oil. I had heard about it for years but thought it sounded so boring. Then I worked with a gal from an Italian family who frequently enjoyed this for dinner. Eventually I had to give it a go and was amazed at how good it was. So I bet your "Last Supper" was extremely tasty.

Yes. I often make spaghetti with garlic and olive oil for lunch. Ridiculously simple, but delicious.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Meat loaf cooked with new potatoes; roasted broccoli; tomato cobbler.

meat loaf n potatoes.jpg

The tomato cobbler is one of my favorite summmer dishes: thin cornbread batter, fresh diced tomatoes, garlic, herbs, parmesan cheese. I keep threatening to put bacon in it.

This one had two large tomatoes, about 8 cloves of garlic confit, three or four green onions, and about 1/3 cup mixed fresh herbs (tarragon, basil, oregano, thyme). 

tomato cobbler.jpg

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Bacon improves pretty much everything

I sometime crumble some on my Joe's O's  .

serious improvement right there.

tomatoes were probably invented right after The Pig.

• Like 2

Weinoo those shrimp look perfectly cooked and I bet they were nice and sweet.  We have spot prawn season underway from the West Coast.  Now I gotta get some.  And those beans and rice, yum.  Love beans and rice.  

• Like 1

weinoo,

My favourite way to prepare shrimp and served in a cazuela, too. But I just couldn't push the like button because you spoiled it all with beans!

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

MM-Love swiss chard.  What did you stuff it with?  Very pretty.

Thanks for the link Patrick.  I have it up and will be reading it soon.

Dcarch--Picture perfect as always.  I didn't know one could eat violet greens!  Can you describe the taste?

Good luck today, Liuzhou.  I hope it's smooth and painless.  Would love to see pics of the new kitchen :)

Kay--I wrote to you on your blog, but I have to say it again.  OMG I want that tomato cobbler.  And the meatloaf.  I definitely will be making your cobbler when I can get good 'maters.

Mitch--OH those shrimp (shrimps?) look good.  And the beans and rice.  

Ann--Lovely stir fry.  I keep seeing people making that and I need to join you!

Speaking of Ann, I used another recipe of hers last night.  Swedish meatballs with mushrooms over egg noodles.  I should have started cooking earlier so that the meatballs had more time to simmer, but it was still very good.   Thank you again, Ann!

photo.JPG

• Like 8

Thank you Okanagancook, you are very kind.

Rotus, I decided not to make salmon like a steak. I thought by chopping it in smaller pieces, the seasoning can become part of the flavor deeper.

Shelby, Thank you. The violet greens are very tender. Taste like spinach, by milder. Packed with nutrition. 

dcarch

• Like 1