• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 3)

kayb

Host's note: This topic is part of an extended topic that is split into smaller segments; the previous segment is here: Dinner 2015 (Part 2).

Thai fish cakes (tod mun pla), made with tilapia fliets, snow peas instead of the broad beans, and a combo of cilantro and mint instead of just cilantro, as my cilantro plant is not up to providing 1/3 cup of leaves at a time yet.

fish cakes.jpg

Sauce is mayo with sweet chili garlic sauce and soy sauce added. My standby with most Asian fried things.

Edited by Smithy (log)
  • Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My goodness!  Can you folks ever cook.  Amazing array of food.  Recent dinner of local asparagus topped with a bacon, black olive and caper vinaigrette; lamb loin chops; scalloped potatoes and carrot salad with lovage/mint and parsley.DSC00844.JPG

• Like 12

Thai fish cakes (tod mun pla), made with tilapia fliets, snow peas instead of the broad beans, and a combo of cilantro and mint instead of just cilantro, as my cilantro plant is not up to providing 1/3 cup of leaves at a time yet.

Sauce is mayo with sweet chili garlic sauce and soy sauce added. My standby with most Asian fried things.

There are some tilapia fillets in my freezer which I know I ought to use but each time I see them I opt for something else. But making Thai style fishcakes with them starts to sound like a darn good idea. Going to add it to my meal plan. Thank you.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

There are some tilapia fillets in my freezer which I know I ought to use but each time I see them I opt for something else. But making Thai style fishcakes with them starts to sound like a darn good idea. Going to add it to my meal plan. Thank you.

Most welcome. The recipe I used is here.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

seared scallops on crushed peas with crispy pancetta and gremolata.

attachicon.gifscallops.jpg

Your post inspired me.

For a quick dinner after getting home late I found a bag of frozen peas and salmon in the freezer. In the garden I found my basil and mint going to seed so used them both

Crushed or mashed peas with mint and sautéed salmon with purple basil

c9730898f7d9f850bedcbc7993ba7a66.jpg

• Like 3

Couple of miscellaneous meals.

Chicken broth, pork meat balls [Venus], bit of extra oil, creminis (sliced up), tree-trunk asparagus (sliced up), angel hair pasta [De Cecco] cooked in the pot with everything else, trimmed spinach wilted in.

DSCN4879a_800.jpg

Takeout from Patties of Jamaica in Indy.  Beef patties, seasoned rice & peas, curried goat.

DSCN4881-85_C_800.jpg

• Like 4

No whole pickerel to be had, so tilapia filled the bill...

Steamed with loads of ginger, scallions, cilantro, and splashes of soy sauce and cooking wine. 

egulletTilapia6347.jpg

• Like 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

attachicon.giffish cakes.jpg

Love this! Now I know what to do with the fillets I've got in the freezer...

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Chiffonade of trimmed young kale wilted into and briefly simmered in chicken broth with a little smashed garlic.  It was almost fall-apart tender.

DSCN4887a_600M.jpg

DSCN4889a_800.jpg

Stir-fry (peanut oil) of bone-on, skin-on, chopped up chicken breast with lots of chopped smashed garlic, black bean garlic sauce [Lee Kum Kee], sliced Thai chillies, a good pour of Shaohsing wine (unsalted), lots of trimmed Thai basil (horapha) followed quickly by chunks of yellow onion almost at the end (so it stays crunchy).  Seasoning adjusted.  White rice.

DSCN4892a_800.jpg

DSCN4894a_800.jpg

• Like 11

Happy Wednesday!

Mexican for us last night.

A little salsa made from home canned tomatoes from last summer.  The jalapeño is the first from the plant in the garden --tiny, but good  :blush:

photo 1.JPG

Chicken enchiladas

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

• Like 12

big fan of the green onion sur-la-plate.

my father used to eat several from our garden just this way when 'in season'

he used to take some w his lunch also.  said people didn't bother him so much w stuff they needed to figure out for themselves in the after noons.

:blink:

:laugh:

• Like 2

I made   "chicken Tinga"  from a Swedish recipe  note I found in the store, I did dump up the amount of heat, because 1/8 teaspoon of ground chipotle isn't enough. Yes I well know it isnt   at all like the real thing  but  my husband liked it.  I so miss getting hold of   Mexican Chorizo,  sadly  the butcher where I used to live doesnt make it any more and well I havent found a recipe for it either. *sigh*

Me and  the kid had  chicken ala king minus mushrooms and with rice.

• Like 2

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

big fan of the green onion sur-la-plate.

my father used to eat several from our garden just this way when 'in season'

he used to take some w his lunch also.  said people didn't bother him so much w stuff they needed to figure out for themselves in the after noons.

:blink:

:laugh:

Yeah. Haven't thought about this for ages. Used to have green onions on the plate and some salt to dip them into. Cannot picture what else was on the plate. Nice way to ensure a quiet afternoon, Your dad sounds like a man who had all his ducks in a row and all his neurons operating at WARP speed!

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Im not going to tell you about the liverwurst sandwich  ( thick cut ) on bread he tried to make with some white onions on that, that went with the lunch

there were carrot sticks and celery sticks  (  :wacko: ) that went with that.

that being said, he was able to meet up with other professors and have his lunch at the "men's pool"

a short walk from his office.

they did have various anti-metabolite creams for his head that kept the carcinomas in easy check late in his life

a hat might have been good, but well that was back then,

the girls decided to 'storm' the pool  sans suits,  just because.   Well why not ?  the boys didn't wear suits . it was 1968 BTW

and yes the girls were admitted to the pool in about '68.  they did have their own pool by the way,

but it was thought at the time, maybe everybody, boys and girls might wear swim suits.  the boys didn't mind either way.

true story.

Unfortunately, i was away in college.  lots of snow.  missed it.  rats.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

Mmmm Jamaican patties huiray that place looks like a winner.

Wonderful-looking salsa Shelby and the enchiladas too - I keep meaning to make more Mexican food, I went through a serious tamales phase a few years back but they do take time (and require real manteca IMO). 

Dejah I'm really enjoying your steamed Asian whole fish dishes. I can smell them from here.

And - just lovely meals everyone.

• Like 1

Im not going to tell you about the liverwurst sandwich  ( thick cut ) on bread he tried to make with some white onions on that, that went with the lunch

Liverwurst sandwiches are all about the bread:meat ratio

and the right moutard.

And paper thin onion slices.

• Like 2

Soup w/ leftover broth from here (with residual chiffonaded kale) with baby zucchini and Napa cabbage.

DSCN4898a_800.jpg

Fedelini [De Cecco] tossed in the pan with a sautée (EV olive oil) of green/baby garlic, Chinese chive flower buds&stalks, scallions, tomatoes and skinny/pencil asparagus. Salted/seasoned to taste.  Fried eggs.

DSCN4895a_800.jpg

DSCN4901a_800.jpg

• Like 7

Still living out of boxes until the house moving is completed on Saturday, but I managed to make a tasty, photogenic (I think) dinner tonight, but was so damned hungry I forgot to take any pictures. :wacko:  I even had the camera ready. Duh.

It was what I call coriander (cilantro) chicken with olives, lemon and chilli. I think it is (my adaptation of) an old Keith Floyd recipe but I've been making it for decades and can't be sure - that book, A Feast of Floyd,  is back in London in my sister's attic. Unless she sold it. She isn't too reliable. But a great baker.

Anyway, good excuse to cook and eat it again while remembering to take pictures.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Rotuts--My Grandpa always likes a fresh green onion or three with his meal.  I remember a dish of green onions often on the lunch and dinner table..always with salt.  I guess I am following in his footsteps :)

Thank you, Patrick!  I've yet to try to make my own tamales.  I'm betting yours are wonderful!

Liuzhou--I have  a lot of cilantro in the garden to use.  I'll be googling to find that recipe.  

Nice brisket, Norm!

One of my brittany's got sprayed by a skunk yesterday afternoon :(  UGH.  I feel so bad for her.  Now I think everything in the house smells like skunk :wacko:.  She got sprayed right next to the house so ....yeah. I needed a comfort food breakfast for dinner last night.  Hiding under the eggs are fried taters and steamed asparagus.  The hollandaise worked this time.  I can't remember which thread but some of us were discussing that we use the blender method for making it.  I've come to realize that I don't think I was getting the butter hot enough to emulsify the sauce.  When I do the butter on the stovetop the hollandaise works great.  When I melt it in the microwave it fails and stays runny.  *shrug*  Could my microwave not be making the butter as hot?  

photo.JPG

• Like 7

Lovely meals, everyone.

liuzhou, I love cilantro. I'll be giving something like that a try.

Norm, I'm glad you were goaded into doing brisket. :-) It looks darned good, and I can enjoy the vicarious calories while we work to recover our waistlines from last month's excesses of Texas brisket.

Okanagancook, did you coat the eggplant in anything (oil, broth) before baking?

Shelby, you have my sympathy! Especially with a hit close to the house. About that hollandaise: could it be that the butter separates more in the microwave because you don't stir it as often as when you melt it on stovetop? I suspect that a separated butter might work against a proper emulsion in the hollandaise.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown