Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EZtemper - The Help You Need to Achieve Perfectly Tempered Chocolate FAST!


John DePaula
 Share

Recommended Posts

On September 1, 2016 at 9:41 PM, curls said:

Were you there to loan him your chocolate temper meter?

Selling him the used one I purchased because I couldn't resist the price. Didn't need a second one - though it was handy when I was doing my initial tests to have two on the go. I am trying to unload things that I don't need - I'm a total packrat but there is only so much room!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have an entirely heterosexual man crush on Laiskonis! 

....he'd always mail back no matter how bad my questions from his blogs.

seems like a great fella.

 

is there more coming about his use of the Eztemper?

  • Like 1

“Do you not find that bacon, sausage, egg, chips, black pudding, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried bread and a cup of tea; is a meal in itself really?” Hovis Presley.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, adey73 said:

I have an entirely heterosexual man crush on Laiskonis! 

....he'd always mail back no matter how bad my questions from his blogs.

seems like a great fella.

 

is there more coming about his use of the Eztemper?

I'm sure there will be - so far he's been using it to temper his small batches of bean to bar chocolate - finds it a huge time saver.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

IMG_3103.JPG

 

So - my 25 year medical school reunion is coming up next weekend - I figure we need a bonbon for it! This is Tachycardia - there is a bourbon barrel aged maple syrup squirt in the bottom, backed by a very coffee ganache. Decorated as per Morato with a spray of diluted dark chocolate, gold powder, orange spray behind the gold powder.

 

Took me about an hour altogether because I tempered the chocolate, the coloured cocoa butter and the ganache with the seed from the EZtemper.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Kerry Beal

 

Wow!   No plans for next weekend so perhaps you could smuggle me into the reunion?

  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_3103.JPG

 

So - my 25 year medical school reunion is coming up next weekend - I figure we need a bonbon for it! This is Tachycardia - there is a bourbon barrel aged maple syrup squirt in the bottom, backed by a very coffee ganache. Decorated as per Morato with a spray of diluted dark chocolate, gold powder, orange spray behind the gold powder.

 

Took me about an hour altogether because I tempered the chocolate, the coloured cocoa butter and the ganache with the seed from the EZtemper.

 

Shiny!  How do you temper the colored cocoa butter?  Is it the same 1% seed.  Do you add it to the bottle or do take out the CCB that you will need and just add it to that? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those are beautiful and they sound really tasty too. I still don't know enough about this stuff to picture in my head how you did that decorating even with the explanation included but I like the way it looks.

  • Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bentley said:

Shiny!  How do you temper the colored cocoa butter?  Is it the same 1% seed.  Do you add it to the bottle or do take out the CCB that you will need and just add it to that? 

Depends - in the bottle I'll add about a knife's tip of seed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Those are beautiful and they sound really tasty too. I still don't know enough about this stuff to picture in my head how you did that decorating even with the explanation included but I like the way it looks.

Mix of 70% dark chocolate and 30% cocoa butter sprayed into mold. It won't form a thick layer. Once dry - gold powder into mold with plushy makeup brush (Dollarama) - then a thicker layer of colour behind. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Mix of 70% dark chocolate and 30% cocoa butter sprayed into mold. It won't form a thick layer. Once dry - gold powder into mold with plushy makeup brush (Dollarama) - then a thicker layer of colour behind.


Interesting... thanks for the additional information!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

Kerry's machine is very intereststing to me. I have an automatic continuous tempering machine that I use for most things, but there are some bars I make with just my mol d' art melter because I don't want to contaminate the tempering machine (nuts etc.). I routinley make 20kg batches. Is anyone out there using it for larger batches. Kerry, do you know if there is a limit on the amount that it can temper?

 

I've also read in this thread that you don't have to heat all the way to 45, but to 35c. I'd love to hear if that's what others are experiencing.

One other question I have, what are the steps if you added the silk and for some reason it didn't temper?

 

Luis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Luis - I'll let some other people who use it for bigger batches tell you about their experience. The only limit on the amount you can temper is really the amount of cocoa butter with the silk texture in the machine at any given time.

 

If you seed chocolate that has been taken to 35 rather than 45 C - I have found you still get excellent temper - it does tend to thicken up more quickly than the chocolate taken to 45 in the melter. 

 

If for some reason it didn't temper and your silk appears to be the right texture - then likely your thermometer is the problem and your chocolate is warmer than it measures.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/24/2016 at 6:04 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Luis - I'll let some other people who use it for bigger batches tell you about their experience. The only limit on the amount you can temper is really the amount of cocoa butter with the silk texture in the machine at any given time.

 

If you seed chocolate that has been taken to 35 rather than 45 C - I have found you still get excellent temper - it does tend to thicken up more quickly than the chocolate taken to 45 in the melter. 

 

If for some reason it didn't temper and your silk appears to be the right texture - then likely your thermometer is the problem and your chocolate is warmer than it measures.

 

 

Kerry, any guess as to how quickly it thickens?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/24/2016 at 7:53 PM, Chocolot said:

Sote23, I have tempered as much as 40# at a time. The only issue is guessing how much chocolate I have in my machine.  I will put silk in small bowl and add chocolate to mix well before adding to large batch. It works well for me. 

 

awesome, so you add it to a smaller amount and then add the whole thing to the larger amount of chocolate.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sote23 said:

Kerry, any guess as to how quickly it thickens?

Well if normally it would be a couple of hours before you start to notice a lot of overcrytallization - probably about an hour. A lot depends on your room temperature etc.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Well if normally it would be a couple of hours before you start to notice a lot of overcrytallization - probably about an hour. A lot depends on your room temperature etc.

 

 

I have learned that overcrystallization can be delayed by cutting the amount of silk in half (that is, using .5% rather than 1%).  As the directions say, I wait until the temp is down to about 92.3F/33.5C before adding it; by the time the temp is down to 90F/32C, the chocolate tests as in temper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Exciting happenings! 

 

So Good Online


That's awesome. I probably can't even imagine the hours and effort that went into getting it to the point where we first learned about it and you've documented some (but probably not even close to all, most likely just the bits you thought would make interesting posting) of the work and travel you've put into it since that point. I'm really happy to see it doing so well. That doesn't always happen even with good ideas or products... but you made it happen.

  • Like 6

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sote23 said:

 

Awesome, I've met Ramon and he's a very nice guy.

 

He is a sweetie isn't he? I was particularly impressed by the way he treated his assistants.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Doing a locum for the first time in ages - they know I make chocolate so have expectations!

 

Grabbed some Oreo thins and some Trophy brand Butter Toffee Peanuts at the Giant Tiger this am - it's an interesting shop that Anna and I frequent when we are up north but rarely down here. But they sell Sterling butter for about half the price of the grocery store and today it was $1 less. 

 

IMG_3662.jpg

 

IMG_3663.jpg

 

Dipped cookies and clusters - should keep my reputation intact. And of course it took me less than an hour to temper, dip and cluster with the EZtemper!

 

Couple of eG'ers that didn't have one before - who have one now - be interested to see what they can do with it and hope they report here.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...


I've been reading the whole thread for the last hour, I'm fascinated and very impressed about what this device can do!

 

A few questions, sorry if I missed them before-

 

I understand that the cocoa butter need to stay for a maximum of 12 hours in the EZtemper before being ready to temper melted chocolate and ganache, but if in the middle of this process there is a power outage, let's say for 20-30 min, would that affect the cocoa silk before resuming the rest of the 12 hours cycle?  Or we would need to take out the whole silk jar and let it stay at room temp for a whole day ( 24 hrs)  before putting in back for another cycle of 12 hours?

 

 

Can the added silk help to prevent the tiny bubbles that I sometime struggle with some chocolate couverture ? ( I'm aware that it's usually caused by humidity and sometime over-crystallization)

 

 

A few posts back, it was mentioned that filled and capped molded chocolate shells are usually ready to be unmolded after 30 min from the start, how long does it take with molded chocolate bars?  I'm thinking that with larger surface, quicker cooling, it should be faster to unmold!

former CacaoFlower.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, CacaoC said:


I've been reading the whole thread for the last hour, I'm fascinated and very impressed about what this device can do!

 

A few questions, sorry if I missed them before-

 

I understand that the cocoa butter need to stay for a maximum of 12 hours in the EZtemper before being ready to temper melted chocolate and ganache, but if in the middle of this process there is a power outage, let's say for 20-30 min, would that affect the cocoa silk before resuming the rest of the 12 hours cycle?  Or we would need to take out the whole silk jar and let it stay at room temp for a whole day ( 24 hrs)  before putting in back for another cycle of 12 hours?

 

 

Can the added silk help to prevent the tiny bubbles that I sometime struggle with some chocolate couverture ? ( I'm aware that it's usually caused by humidity and sometime over-crystallization)

 

 

A few posts back, it was mentioned that filled and capped molded chocolate shells are usually ready to be unmolded after 30 min from the start, how long does it take with molded chocolate bars?  I'm thinking that with larger surface, quicker cooling, it should be faster to unmold!

CacaoFlower - you have been missed! Was thinking about you the other day when I was searching for something on an old thread.

 

If you have a power outage - just leave the silk in the unit when you resume. 

 

Because you can work at higher temps with milk and white - I suspect your tiny bubble issue might lessen. Humidity issues seem to disappear.

 

Molded bars differ by size and thickness. Usually as soon as they start to crystallize around the edges - I bung them in the fridge just until they completely release - might take 20 minutes or even a bit longer.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Similar Content

    • By artiesel
      Has anyone successfully made candied chestnuts (marrons glace) at home which even remotely resemble the professional ones you get from Europe?
       
      I've tried making them using RTE Chinese chestnuts from Costco with varying success:
      One batch became leathery after being simmered in (what started out as) simple syrup which had its sucrose concentration gradually increased.
       
      I have also tried soaking the chestnuts in hot water prior to beginning the candying process.  The nuts, once again, developed a tough skin after a few days.  To reverse the tough skins I added more water to the syrup, broke the nuts up into pieces and simmered them gently for a few hours.
      While some pieces have a tough skin, many of them have taken on a candied texture.
       
      Should any further attempts to candy chestnuts be attempted using the method of slowly simmering them in simple syrup?
       
      Please share any feedback ypu may have.  Thanks!
    • By KTM
      Hello friends,
       
      We recently got our selmi plus ex and have had a handful of successful runs. So far mostly with our enrobing line. 
       
      Theres been 2 occasions now that I have noticed when tempering the machine is cooling past the target temp. When it does this it goes down into the 28c range and the screw pump has to shut off due to the temp and viscosity. 
       
      I also noticed the manual is pretty light on operational procedures. 
       
      The 2 things I can think of that might be causing this other then an equipment error is 
      the chocolate used is to thick or there is a build up of chocolate around the temperature probe near the faucet. 
       
      Wondering if anyone else has had this issue before. 
    • By ShylahSinger
      Hello! I'm fairly new to this site so I don't know if my search was weak. I'm trying to find a way to make Mandarin orange puree at home, but I couldn't find anything even similar in the forum. I am a home cook, but I have been making chocolate bonbons and other confections for over 4 years (intermitantly). It is too expensive for me to purchase this online- not because of the price of the puree, but the cost of shipping makes it prohibative. The recipes I've seen online are all differant and don't seem to be what I need. 
      I would love any help with this! I look forward to hearing and learning from those who have much, much more experience than me. Thanks!
    • By Darienne
      A quite unusual take on the favorite American chocolate bar: click
    • By ShylahSinger
      Help! I am an amateur and make chocolate truffles, bonbons, and caramels for friends and family. I made some soft caramel for filling molded bonbons. The flavor and consistency are fine, but the caramel is filled with bubbles. I don't know how to get the air bubbles out, and am concerned using it in my molded chocolates. I would like to know if it is okay to use. I have been making confections for about four years and this is the first time this has happened. I would really appreciate any help! I'm new to the forum and don't know anyone yet.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...