Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

John DePaula

EZtemper - The Help You Need to Achieve Perfectly Tempered Chocolate FAST!

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, John DePaula said:

So I have some Cacao Barry cocoa butter that has been sitting around for a couple of years.  It looks fine; it smells fine. It has been stored, sealed at cool room temperature. But as I said, it has been sitting around a while.  I placed a portion in my EZtemper and used the factory setting of 33.7 ºC.  After a few days, I got back to checking it. When I stirred it, the consistency is like thick frosting and it seems that there may be a few unmelted grains floating around.  I’ve read that for Cacao Barry, some people are finding that 33.8 ºC works best.  I’ve adjusted the setpoint of the EZtemper up by 0.1 ºC to 33.8 ºC. I’ll check it again in a few hours; however, is that sufficient?  Or do I need to bring the CB up to 60 ºC and allow to set at room-temperature before proceeding? And if I do that, should I start over at the factory setting of 33.7 ºC?
 

 

Check again. It's only if it remains grainy when the background is silky that it needs to get melted back out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2019 at 2:57 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Check again. It's only if it remains grainy when the background is silky that it needs to get melted back out.

Well that worked out most excellently! Just finished a batch of ~300 milk chocolate shells - all beautifully in temper thanks to EZtemper. The hardest part was waiting for my chocolate mass to cool down to 33.5°C. Toward the end of the run, I noticed that the chocolate temperature had somehow spiked at 33.8°C or so.  I got it stirred well and once the temperature had cooled down a few tenths of a degree, I added a dollop of silk just as insurance.  Worked beautifully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, John DePaula said:

Well that worked out most excellently! Just finished a batch of ~300 milk chocolate shells - all beautifully in temper thanks to EZtemper. The hardest part was waiting for my chocolate mass to cool down to 33.5°C. Toward the end of the run, I noticed that the chocolate temperature had somehow spiked at 33.8°C or so.  I got it stirred well and once the temperature had cooled down a few tenths of a degree, I added a dollop of silk just as insurance.  Worked beautifully.

And now to make your life even easier - don’t bother taking it all the way up and cooking back to 33.5 - just get it melted (likely will happen at around 34 or so) and cool down from there.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

And now to make your life even easier - don’t bother taking it all the way up and cooking back to 33.5 - just get it melted (likely will happen at around 34 or so) and cool down from there.

 

 


This is awesome... you just made my life easier as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

And now to make your life even easier - don’t bother taking it all the way up and cooking back to 33.5 - just get it melted (likely will happen at around 34 or so) and cool down from there.

 

 

 

Does this mean the original melt, like when you’re starting a run? I thought it had to get up past 35.5, so yay for saving a few minutes here and there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, patris said:

 

Does this mean the original melt, like when you’re starting a run? I thought it had to get up past 35.5, so yay for saving a few minutes here and there!

In the original melt you just need to get it melted. If you don't get above 33.5 it will likely have the same texture as the silk so you need to get a little higher than that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

In the original melt you just need to get it melted. If you don't get above 33.5 it will likely have the same texture as the silk so you need to get a little higher than that.

 

Excellent - thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really love being able to work at a slightly higher, and therefore more fluid, temperature. Fantastic!
And another thing: using transfer sheets must be a little easier as well, right? I don't recall seeing any mention of it but the slightly higher temperature should make transfers go more smoothly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, John DePaula said:

I really love being able to work at a slightly higher, and therefore more fluid, temperature. Fantastic!
And another thing: using transfer sheets must be a little easier as well, right? I don't recall seeing any mention of it but the slightly higher temperature should make transfers go more smoothly.

yup!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, 

 

I'm new here and really glad that I have found this group. Learned a lot already, thanks for all the useful informations. ☺️

 

Please let me to ask a couple of questions related to the EZtemper. 

 

First of all can someone tell, is there a stockist in the UK or elsewhere in Europe? It would be much easier and cost effective to purchase the machine here. Plus it would be great to have with the 3 pin UK plug version. 🔌

And my other question is could you tell me please which type of cocoa butter would be the best choice for the EZtemper? 

(Just asking because I contacted earlier the company who sells the Magic Temper and they recommended using their machine with blocks rather than the callets.)

 

Thank you very much for your help in advance! 😊

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Szilvia said:

Hi everyone, 

 

I'm new here and really glad that I have found this group. Learned a lot already, thanks for all the useful informations. ☺️

 

Please let me to ask a couple of questions related to the EZtemper. 

 

First of all can someone tell, is there a stockist in the UK or elsewhere in Europe? It would be much easier and cost effective to purchase the machine here. Plus it would be great to have with the 3 pin UK plug version. 🔌

And my other question is could you tell me please which type of cocoa butter would be the best choice for the EZtemper? 

(Just asking because I contacted earlier the company who sells the Magic Temper and they recommended using their machine with blocks rather than the callets.)

 

Thank you very much for your help in advance! 😊

 

 

Szilvia, welcome to eG.

 

There are not units stocked in Europe - I keep them here with me in Canada and ship them when required. I can however send one along with the cord for Europe (the machine itself has an adapter and usually ships with a North American cord that goes from the adapter to the wall. You can either replace that cord or use a NA to Euro wall adapter). 

 

Any cocoa butter is fine in the EZtemper - I prefer the callets just because they seem to be ready to go faster than the big blocks. When I'm doing trade shows with it I'll often use Mycryo. 

 

Feel free to send me a PM - I can check and see if there might be one lonely unit that is still hanging around in Europe after the last trade show. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was time to buy some more cocoa butter, so I bought a 3.5KG bucket of food grade, deodorized CB (about 50% of the cost of the callets).  This is how I deal with it.  I soften it to make it easy to scoop, then I take out what I think I will need in the near term (a couple of months).  I melt it down (60C) then cool it to 33C and temper it with  silk from the EZ Temper.  Then I pipe it into chocolate molds and let it fully crystalize for 24 hours.  Each tablet weighs about 6g.   Then I put some of the tablets in a jar in the EZ Temper for gorgeous silk, while keeping some of the tablets for recipes.  One great side effect is that the next batch of chocolates made in those molds have ridiculous shine.  

 

My previous cocoa butter required an EZ Temper setting of 33.8.  This new cocoa butter needed 33.6 degrees.  I guess each variety or batch is slightly different.

IMG_2692.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kerry - how precise do we need to be with the 1% silk?   Tenth of a gram?  Nearest gram ? Does going a little over 1% cause any issues?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bentley said:

Kerry - how precise do we need to be with the 1% silk?   Tenth of a gram?  Nearest gram ? Does going a little over 1% cause any issues?

Vague range in my world! A little more or a little less matters naught - a whole lot more - well it might over temper more quickly.

 

I've reached the point where I can look at the amount of chocolate I have and figure out how big a scoop I want to put in there. I just pretend to use the scale most of the time. 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Similar Content

    • By pastrygirl
      My supplier decided that cocoa butter is now special order so I had to buy a case. And now I have an excessive amount of cocoa butter, anyone need any?  
       
      Cacao Barry cocoa butter pistoles with a best by date of April 2021   $66 for the 3 kg tub or $22 per kg plus shipping. 
       
       
    • By eglies
      Hi guys,
       
      Please help, I prepare my chocolate in melting pot all good perfect temper leave it overnight in melting pot covered and at the correct temperature, when I come in the morning its thicker and need to use heat gun to rewarm it. I am worried about it going out of temper. Any tricks to recommend?
       
      Thanks
       
    • By pastrygirl
      This looks interesting - I know some of us have lamented the lack of flavor or off flavors of additives to colored cocoa butter - anyone seen or tried these?  Looks like they can be used either to mix into chocolate as a fat-based flavor or to decorate molds as usual with colored CB ...  More expensive than Valrhona Inspiration or regular colored CB, I wonder how they compare in flavor intensity, the Valrhonas I've tried were fairly intense.  I also wonder what flavors brown, black, and amber are ... https://www.pcb-creation.com/pure-emotion-colour-by-pcb-creation/?lang=en

       
      Edited to add: the black/ brown flavors are chocolate, of course! 🙃
       
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×