• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

John DePaula

EZtemper - The Help You Need to Achieve Perfectly Tempered Chocolate FAST!

46 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Commercial - bought the one with a cat and dog, as well as some snails like them in France this fall.

Perfect! I don't see me being in France any time soon so that makes it even easier to stay off of that slipper slope. :D

2 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Perfect! I don't see me being in France any time soon so that makes it even easier to stay off of that slipper slope. :D

You can get some from Chocolat-Chocolat in Montreal though! Just call me an enabler.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

That chef's coat is very flattering. What a great color for you! And I don't especially care for Peeps, but those tuxedo versions would be irresistable.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Smithy said:

That chef's coat is very flattering. What a great color for you! And I don't especially care for Peeps, but those tuxedo versions would be irresistable.

Yeah - not something I have any desire to eat!

• Like 1

Ready for PMCA next weekend. 

IMG_8818.thumb.JPG.d9262fcbb482b2315ebfa31ddf00bd99.JPG

IMG_8823.thumb.JPG.e9c14fa80f91c03a032a5f7d49a01c6e.JPG

IMG_8837.thumb.JPG.163458a5b0c582362e3c09fc70cf8906.JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

6 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

They are the luckiest people get these beautiful critters. 

• Like 4

Beautiful chocolates, what have you filled them with? Good luck at the show!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, curls said:

Beautiful chocolates, what have you filled them with? Good luck at the show!

Just walking the show this time - working on samples for the workshop. 

Frogs are Sosa caramel bits, rest are gianduja 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Just walking the show this time - working on samples for the workshop. 

Frogs are Sosa caramel bits, rest are gianduja 

Hey Kerry do you just fill the molds with straight gianduja or do you make a ganache with the gianduja. Just curious....

21 minutes ago, YetiChocolates said:

Hey Kerry do you just fill the molds with straight gianduja or do you make a ganache with the gianduja. Just curious....

Milk chocolate shell - straight gianduja inside that.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

@Kerry Beal, is the frog mold a Chocolate World one or ... ? I have not made any 3-D figures so far. What is the level of difficulty? the rough percentage of failures? I ask because the process looks as if it would be difficult. The city where I live has an annual Harry Potter festival that attracts thousands of people. I know practically nothing about Harry Potter but have been told by someone connected with the festival that frogs are very important in Harry's world; she suggested that, having seen the amount of money parents were throwing around last year on all sorts of stuff for their kids (including some cheaply made candy frogs), they would pay virtually any price for anything connected with frogs, especially with good chocolate involved. I suspect the cost of frog molds would virtually wipe out any profits, but it's worth a little exploring. Alternatively you could bring down a batch and get rich yourself. xD

Edited by Jim D. (log)
  • Like 1

Pretty sure it's a chocolate world mold. This batch had a large number of failures - I think the bottle of reef green I was using is well past it - took forever to melt so I suspect it was the problem. These are crunchy frogs a la Harry Potter so I know they would sell well. I think you could even decorate them much more simply. Perhaps just paint the eyes, splatter with black and spray in a darker green.  

No desire to produce myself!

3 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Pretty sure it's a chocolate world mold.

Looks like chocolat-chocolat has two sizes of it, CW1445 & CW1129

51 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I have not made any 3-D figures so far.

This looks like a regular flat or 1 piece mold, no gluing together.  Or are you concerned about the appendages?

Posted (edited)

Pretty sure that's the chocolate world CW1129. I've had it bookmarked on the chocolat-chocolat site for a long time, just never got around to ordering it. 

Edit: I'm too slow, pastrygirl already covered it. :D

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

Yup - 1129. I have a mold of little tiny frogs as well.

34 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

This looks like a regular flat or 1 piece mold, no gluing together.  Or are you concerned about the appendages?

I guess I'm not concerned about the appendages at this point--but probably would be when I got around to production. I assumed it would require gluing.

Beautiful work Kerry.....

18 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I guess I'm not concerned about the appendages at this point--but probably would be when I got around to production. I assumed it would require gluing.

No gluing required for these ones 

20 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_8818.thumb.JPG.d9262fcbb482b2315ebfa31ddf00bd99.JPG

IMG_8823.thumb.JPG.e9c14fa80f91c03a032a5f7d49a01c6e.JPG

IMG_8837.thumb.JPG.163458a5b0c582362e3c09fc70cf8906.JPG

*Jaw Drop* Stunning and so much fun!! You do gorgeous work, Kerry!

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 5:06 PM, MelissaH said:

I soooooo wish I had the spare cash lying around to spring for one!

Me too! It's on my list, before worrying about getting a tempering machine. I'll just get larger melter/holding tanks and use EZ Temper. 

• Like 2

I’ve heard all the awesome things you can do with silk- but can somebody be honest and give me any cons?? Trying to convince my boss to buy one instead of a larger tempering machine but it’s a one or the other kinda thing and we need to make sure we’re making the smart decision. Thanks in advance

Honestly, I’ve been using my EZ-Temper since 2015 and I haven’t had ANY downsides, negatives, etc.  It is a tool that (imho) is a MUST have.  

Use it for a week and there is no going back......

• Like 1

Agree with Bob. I got one of the first ones. Don't know what I would do without it. If there is a con, it is having to buy cocoa butter, but in the end, it is worth it.

I suppose cost might be a con - but there is a break for eG folks - so send me a PM and we can discuss it.

• Similar Content

• By artiesel
      I have Volumes 1 ,2 and 4 of Jean-Pierre Wybauw's Great Chocolate books are for sale.

The books are in great shape!  There is some tape on the corner of the front of volume 1 that I used to keep it together after a drop.  Volume 1 is also autographed by the author (See pics below).

I'm asking $150 for the lot OBO.

Let me know if interested or if you have questions

• By Ly Qw
      Has anyone successfully made this at home before? The recipe from their cookbook isn't descriptive enough and I've had moderate success with it but the sabayon texture just looks much more aerated in the ambroisie version
    • By kevnick80
      Hi guys. 

Came across these amazing bon bons on Instagram. How would you say I could replicate the design?

thabks. 

• By Sweet Impact Mama
      Pistachio paste (and connected loosely, gianduja)

Been studying through the giant book that is "Fine Chocolates Gold". It alternates between taking up a third of our dining room table and being a massive paper weight. 🤣 I'm trying to put together a plan for our fall/winter flavors and really want to work in more nuts and gianduja flavors. One of my customers wants more pistachio and another wants more hazelnut. 

First question: on Page 280, he has a recipe for "Pistachio Gianduja", which I thought meant making just straight gianduja with pistachios. But he puts in 4x the almonds as pistachios and then has you put in Pistachio Paste. What the what??? I thought that gianduja was what happens when you take nuts (turned into nut butter, essentially) and then added a certain percentage of chocolate to it (depending on the consistency you want). Then I researched pistachio paste. Does he mean the stuff from Italy or Turkey that has added milks and sugars or something else? Since he's a European chef, I'm assuming the first option... is that correct?

Then... he keeps having the ingredient "gianduja" in recipes, but doesn't specify which nut they are made from. He does the same with "praline" as an ingredient. If he says that, is there an assumed nut as the base sort of gianduja? When he says "x" amount of praline as an ingredient, does he mean caramelized sugar that has been blitzed in the food processor, so as to bring it to powder form?

Sorry - this sort of turned into a request for a mini class. 😏