• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

John DePaula

EZtemper - The Help You Need to Achieve Perfectly Tempered Chocolate FAST!

I've read 8 pages but skipped the rest so apologies if these have already been answered!

1.Is the idea to use silk instead of a tempering machine?

2.Can it be added to a machine so that I can work at higher temps? I'm finding chocolate is getting thicker than desired, even with temp raised to 34.5.

3.Would using the EZ temper/silk mean that chocolates can be released far more easily and faster from moulds, more so than using tempered choc from a machine?

I'm so intrigued!

13 minutes ago, understandingcocoa said:

I've read 8 pages but skipped the rest so apologies if these have already been answered!

1.Is the idea to use silk instead of a tempering machine?

2.Can it be added to a machine so that I can work at higher temps? I'm finding chocolate is getting thicker than desired, even with temp raised to 34.5.

3.Would using the EZ temper/silk mean that chocolates can be released far more easily and faster from moulds, more so than using tempered choc from a machine?

I'm so intrigued!

1. You can - it does allow you to have tempered milk, white and dark at the same time as long as you have 3 bowls. But it also allows you to temper ganaches, gianduja, meltaway - basically any chocolate or nut and chocolate product. 

2. you add the silk at 33.5 C or lower to any product - so you can have white chocolate at a much higher temperature than normal. Over time you chocolate will thicken up and the temperature can be pushed higher if necessary. 

3. I think the time is probably similar with any well tempered chocolate - but you can have tempered chocolate ready to go a whole lot faster than when you are waiting for a machine to do it's thing.

First time using my EZtemper today.  The sample on the left is chocolate melted to about 38C then cooled to 33.5C with no silk added.  It's mottled and never really set after 20 minutes.  The second sample is the same chocolate 2 minutes later after adding the silk.  It's perfectly smooth and glossy and set right away.  Very happy!  I still made a mess - cuz that's what I do with chocolate - but it was great not having to table the chocolate to temper it.  

IMG_2247.jpg

• Like 3

On 05/11/2017 at 10:36 PM, Kerry Beal said:

1. You can - it does allow you to have tempered milk, white and dark at the same time as long as you have 3 bowls. But it also allows you to temper ganaches, gianduja, meltaway - basically any chocolate or nut and chocolate product. 

2. you add the silk at 33.5 C or lower to any product - so you can have white chocolate at a much higher temperature than normal. Over time you chocolate will thicken up and the temperature can be pushed higher if necessary. 

3. I think the time is probably similar with any well tempered chocolate - but you can have tempered chocolate ready to go a whole lot faster than when you are waiting for a machine to do it's thing.

Sounds like a huge time saver!

• Like 1

On 11/9/2017 at 8:24 AM, understandingcocoa said:

Sounds like a huge time saver!

It is indeed - if I do say so myself!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

It is indeed - if I do say so myself!

And how! I made some feuilletine earlier this week and got obsessed with making a 2-layer piece with marshmallow and peanut butter meltaway with the feuilletine mixed in. I made the marshmallow last night, and this morning before I left for work I put together the feuilletined meltaway. Total time from sticking the chocolate in the microwave to melt it, to finished product, was less than 30 minutes - including the time it took for the meltaway mixture to cool enough to add the silk. Then about 15 minutes in the refrigerator and it was ready to cut. Can't wait to get home tonight to dip them - which will also be done in a trice thanks to the EZTemper!

Edited by patris Crappy writing (log)
  • Like 4

I soooooo wish I had the spare cash lying around to spring for one!

• Like 1

On 10/18/2017 at 8:18 AM, curls said:

For those of you interested in the melter that Kerry crammed in her suitcase to take home for a trial run, I found a video/advertisement for that melter.  At about the 30 second mark you can see the melter in relation to a chocolate mold. Also a link to Croquade's US website http://www.croquade.us/chocolate-machine.html.

Looks like this group in Delaware is a reseller and they have more details about the melter http://www.croquade.com/la-chocolatiere.

On 10/26/2017 at 12:35 PM, patris said:

Welp, my dream is dashed for the moment - after the difficult process of actually ordering and paying for the thing, I got a note this morning indicating that they don't have them in stock after all, and suggesting I check back in January!

Update! The fine folks at Croquade held on to my money for a month after they cancelled my order, only refunding me after I initiated a dispute via my credit card company. Happy ending, though - I managed to find one at Gygi.com and snagged it for a cool $110.49 with the holiday discount code they are offering on their site. I checked to make sure they actually have them in stock, and evidently they still have 17 left - if you're interested, get it while you can!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, patris said:

Update! The fine folks at Croquade held on to my money for a month after they cancelled my order, only refunding me after I initiated a dispute via my credit card company. Happy ending, though - I managed to find one at Gygi.com and snagged it for a cool $110.49 with the holiday discount code they are offering on their site. I checked to make sure they actually have them in stock, and evidently they still have 17 left - if you're interested, get it while you can!

Well that saved me some disappointment. It's not really a good time of year for me to spend the money on those but I went to the site anyway just to have a look and be sad that I can't do it right now. It lets you go through the entire checkout process selecting Canada as a shipping destination then, when you get to the final page, it tells you "warning: their are no shipping options available for that location". Seems like it would be much simpler just to leave Canada out of the drop down box that only contains Canada and the United States if Canada isn't really an option.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not to derail this thread - maybe La Chocolatiere needs its own thread - but how precise is the thermostat?  My complaint about my mol d'art melter is that it's hard to be precise when setting the temperature.  If I want 32C, it's hard to know if I am getting 31, 32 or 33.  Given that the La Chocolatiere costs a lot less than the Mol D'art, I am guessing the thermostat is not any better.  Am I correct?

3 hours ago, Bentley said:

Not to derail this thread - maybe La Chocolatiere needs its own thread - but how precise is the thermostat?  My complaint about my mol d'art melter is that it's hard to be precise when setting the temperature.  If I want 32C, it's hard to know if I am getting 31, 32 or 33.  Given that the La Chocolatiere costs a lot less than the Mol D'art, I am guessing the thermostat is not any better.  Am I correct?

I never set with an eye to exact temperature in any melter.

I melt at a higher setting - then turn down to a vague range of where I want it. I check the temperature with an infra red - when it has dropped to where I want it I turn it up to just where the light turns on.

The la chocolatiere is in degrees F.

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I never set with an eye to exact temperature in any melter.

I melt at a higher setting - then turn down to a vague range of where I want it. I check the temperature with an infra red - when it has dropped to where I want it I turn it up to just where the light turns on.

The la chocolatiere is in degrees F.

I guess it's just my nature to seek precision.....it's a blessing and a curse.  :)

3 minutes ago, Bentley said:

I guess it's just my nature to seek precision.....it's a blessing and a curse.  :)

Well both the Mold'art and the La Chocolatiere seem to be precise - just not accurate due to the nature of the dials on both of them.

Kerry,
I am interested in buying an EZtemper. Just curious what shipping would be. I looked at your website, but I am in Alaska and that usually means we are the exception to standard shipping fees. Often I am told the only option to Alaska is Fed-Ex 2nd day which is Wildly expensive!  Thanks,
Jenny

4 hours ago, JenBunk said:

Kerry,
I am interested in buying an EZtemper. Just curious what shipping would be. I looked at your website, but I am in Alaska and that usually means we are the exception to standard shipping fees. Often I am told the only option to Alaska is Fed-Ex 2nd day which is Wildly expensive!  Thanks,
Jenny

Jenny - send me a PM - we'll talk!

Got my EZtemper 2 days before the post said it would arrive! My cocoa butter was old so I did what you said about heating it up to 50 then letting it sit at room temp until hard and it worked perfectly. One thing that I have not seen mentioned about how this is a time saver is I don't have to chop my chocolate up finely to make seed chocolate. I can just bust up huge chunks and leave in the melter! The wholesaler I buy my chocolate from only carries the block form so I have always had to chop it up which also made dishes for me. Thanks Kerry!

Just now, JenBunk said:

Got my EZtemper 2 days before the post said it would arrive! My cocoa butter was old so I did what you said about heating it up to 50 then letting it sit at room temp until hard and it worked perfectly. One thing that I have not seen mentioned about how this is a time saver is I don't have to chop my chocolate up finely to make seed chocolate. I can just bust up huge chunks and leave in the melter! The wholesaler I buy my chocolate from only carries the block form so I have always had to chop it up which also made dishes for me. Thanks Kerry!

Glad it's working out for you. 

I usually melt chunks of chocolate in the microwave - rarely bother to bust it up anymore.

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• By CCB
      I used my homemade toffee in a cookie recipe hoping that the toffee will add a crunch to the cookie... it didn't turn out well as the toffee melted and didn't keep its hardened crunch form. How can I prevent my toffee from melting in my cookie recipe?
    • By anonymouse
      I've been working with the Boiron purée recipe tables (chocolate and PdF, ice cream) - some good successes.  However the document is very terse and I wondered whether anyone who is experienced with these formulae might clarify what the expected result is:

- "Fruit ganaches" and "Fruit and caramel ganaches".  I think these are supposed to produce a ganache for cutting and enrobing, although when I tried it came out far too soft to be dipped???

- "Ganaches to be combined with fruit pastes" - I think these are to be layered above PdF and enrobed - is that right?

- "Chocolate molded sweets" - Are these intended to be served as is, ie moulded without a layer of couverture going into the mould first? However the instructions talk about pouring into a frame.

- "Fruity delight" - looks like a fairly light dessert to go into a parfait glass.  Has anyone done these and how do they turn out?  How do they compare to the sabayon-based ones in the Boiron ice cream book?

I'm going to start working through some of the ice creams next week and it will be interesting to see how these turn out.

Thanks for any advice.

• By anonymouse
      As a newbie here I thought, before piling in with my own questions, I'd pull together some of the things I've learned in my first months of chocolate making - in case this helps others who embark on the same path.  

Many of these learnings came from eGullet, some from elsewhere, and I'm very grateful for all the many sources of experience and insight.  Cooking technique is quite personal so of course not everyone will agree with my idiosyncratic list of course.

Most useful equipment so far

Cooking isn't really about the equipment - you can make fine chocolates with hardly any equipment - but here are the things which have helped me the most.

1. Small tempering machine.  This got me started on chocolate making with a superb easy path.  The ChocoVision Rev 2B (with the "holey baffle" which increases its capacity) just gets the tempering perfect every time.  Yes, I could temper in the microwave or on a slab, but it's great to take away any uncertainty about the final finish, by using this great machine.  Downsides: continuously noisy, doesn't have the capacity for large batches.

2. Plenty of silicon baking mats (Silpat clones).  I use these not just for ganache and inverting moulds onto, but also just to keep the kitchen clean!  Working at home, I create a lot of mess and found I could reduce the risk of divorce by spreading large sheets (60x40cm size) across the work surface.  So much easier to clean, and I can scrape unused chocolate back into the supply for next time.  
      I get mine directly from China through AliExpress where they are about 1/3 of the local price.  Then, for a further cost saving I ordered a couple of sheets of stainless steel at exactly the same 40x30 size, from a hobbyist place, and stuck some rubber feet underneath. The silicon mat + steel sheet can then easily be carried to the cool room. I got metal bars made up by another hobbyist place (an eGullet suggestion) which was a cheap alternative to caramel bars.

3. Scrapers.  Life got better when I stopped trying to scrape moulds with a regular palette knife.  I found we had two Japanese okomoniyaki spatulas from Japanese cooking which were perfect!

4. Polycarbonate moulds.  Again in order to afford a bunch of these, I get them from China via AliExpress where they are £5-£7 each (including shipping) rather than £18 (+£10 shipping) locally.  If I were starting again I'd buy little squares and half-spheres first, because these are easy to decorate with transfer sheets and cocoa butter respectively; plus a bar mould for quickly using up some extra chocolate or making a snack for the family.  Magnetic moulds are not in my view essential for the beginner because you can just apply the transfers manually - but they are very easy to use.

5. Hot air gun - little Bosch paint stripper from Amazon.  Always kept to hand to sort out anything which crystallises too quickly in the bowl or on my equipment.

6. Fancy packaging.  We got some little boxes in bright colours with silver lining - great to turn your experiments into gifts. Quite expensive because you have to buy quantities, but worth it we felt.

If I were working at scale I think my top 5 would also include a vibrating table, but that's beyond my means.

Best sources of learning so far (apart from eGullet of course)

1. Callebaut website - fabulous range of videos showing how a master does the basic techniques.  Also Keylink (harder to find on their website - look in "knowledge bank") which is refreshingly straightforward.

2. Several books recommended on this forum.  Once I got past the basics, I delved into two masterpieces: Wybauw ("The Ultimate Fine Chocolates", a revised compilation of his previous books) and Greweling ("Chocolates and Confections"). These are just awe inspiring.

Most useful ingredients so far

1. Callebaut couverture "callets" in 2.5kg bags - quick to measure, easy to re-seal.  Everyone should start with 811 and 823, the "standards" ... but I soon moved to more exotic flavours.  Current favourites are Cacao Barry Alunga (rich milk), Callebaut Velvet (white but not as cloying as the usual one; lovely mouthfeel), and half a dozen Cocoa Barry dark chocolates which go with particular ingredients.

2. Boiron frozen fruit purees. These are just amazing.  I struggled with lots of different approaches to fruit flavouring until I discovered these.  The problem is that most liquid purees have a short life span and are quite expensive if you only need a little quantity - whereas the Boiron ones just live in a neat, stackable tub in the freezer.  Grab a flavour, pop it out onto a chopping board, slice off what you need, return the rest to the freezer.  And the range is fabulous.  So far I've particularly enjoyed raspberry, passion fruit, kalamansi (wow!) blackcurrant, and Morello cherry.  (I'm experimenting with banana but most banana chocolate recipes seem to need caramel which I don't find so easy to perfect.)

3. IBC "Power Flowers" so I can mix my own coloured white chocolate with a wide palette of colours, for brushing or piping into moulds as decoration.  Quite tricky to scale down to the tiny amounts I need, but I found this far better than heating little bottles of cocoa butter and being restricted to the colours I had.

4. Marc de Champagne 60% - great for truffles.  My supplier sends it in a little chemical bottle which is a little un-champagne-like, but never mind.  Rose drops (oil-based) were also useful for truffles if you like that sort of thing.

Suggestions for learners (aka things I wish I had got right)

1. Start learning in winter.  There is a HUGE amount of cooling needed in chocolate making; once we had cold weather we could close off a room, turn off its heating, and create a cool room.  Made a big difference to productivity (and quality!).

2. Don't do anything involving caramel, marshmallows, turkish delight, or other temperature-critical sugar work until you are confident with everything else - or you will get demoralised quickly.  Or maybe I'm just rubbish at these techniques.

3. Learn simple decoration (cocoa butter colour, texture sheets etc) early on.  These make a big difference to how everyone will react to your work.

4. Don't rush.  Chocolate making takes a lot of (elapsed) time.  Give things time to crystallise properly.  I find there is always an endless amount of cleaning-up to do while I wait :-)

• By danielle_j
      Hello and Happy Holidays!  I own an ice cream company and am looking for some information about equipment to use for scaling large batches of caramel.  Right now, we cook sugar over electric heat in an approx. 6 qt. stainless steel pot.  Once the caramel is at the correct color and temp (more on that below), we add our dairy to the hot mixture.  Obviously, this is not a viable option for producing large batches.

I'm familiar with confectionary equipment from Savage, but don't have the budget for an automated piece.  Does anyone have experience with using just one of their copper or stainless steel kettles over a regular sized burner on electric heat? We've tried to use a single larger flat bottom pot sitting in the middle of all 4 burners on the stove to make a large batch of caramel, but it doesn't heat evenly.  I'm wondering if the rounded bottom of the kettle helps the entire pot cook evenly -- would we be able to set the kettle right on the burner; or, have to use it in a double boiler setting?

Additionally, any recommendations for thermometers that work well with caramel would be welcomed.  We've used digital probes and candy thermometers, but on numerous occasions, the color and smell of the caramel that we associate with "doneness" is a dramatically different temperature for each batch.

I came across a similar post on this topic from 2016, but aside from a recommendation for a large piece of equipment from Savage, there wasn't any other feedback.  Hoping to get some good input that will bridge the gap between extremely small batches and mass production.