• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EZtemper - The Help You Need to Achieve Perfectly Tempered Chocolate FAST!

John DePaula

56 minutes ago, Avachocolate said:

Yes....very nice guy and extremely kowledgeable and at the same time humble....I learned a lot from him, highly recommend his class for anybody that has a chance to take it

By the way – welcome to eG @Avachocolate

@Kerry Beal, I know it would be a ton of work for you and would be asking a lot of contributors, but I think it would be helpful to have a compilation of how experts like Morató are actually using the EZtemper.  Avachocolate stated that he [Morató], for example, uses it for everything except enrobing, so I would assume that means he uses silk to temper his chocolate for shells and for making ganaches as well. There might be a difference in usage between holding classes and being in actual production.

Edited by Jim D.
Clarified pronoun "he" (log)

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

@Kerry Beal, I know it would be a ton of work for you and would be asking a lot of contributors, but I think it would be helpful to have a compilation of how experts like Morató are actually using the EZtemper.  Avachocolate stated that he, for example, uses it for everything except enrobing, so I would assume that means he uses silk to temper his chocolate for shells and for making ganaches as well. There might be a difference in usage between holding classes and being in actual production.

Shall add it to my list of things to accomplish. Unless someone wants to take on the job for me?

Starting on this thread - anyone want to list how many different ways they use theirs?

Thanks....great forum here, finally got around to making an account and posting :-)

At Morato's class we used the silk mostly to temper the chocolate for the shells, but he also recommended to add it to the ganache for setting it quicker...nice piece of equipment !

• 3 weeks later...

Went back down the the Royal St George's College boys school yesterday to play with chocolate with the young after school cooking club boys. They are such a delight. Mardi says they are usually not so attentive to the instructor - must be the magic of chocolate.

Got all sorts of things done in an hour. Introduced them to Turkish Delight.

IMG_4492.thumb.jpg.52d612634f5b518e319767a7d353784d.jpg

IMG_4480.thumb.jpg.273795e47578c72b768f910662a27440.jpg

IMG_4506.thumb.jpg.6cd505f5bb34751ccbca117433307180.jpg

IMG_4512.thumb.jpg.0b16e07f47840c5ba5478b2436119ce4.jpg

IMG_4534.thumb.jpg.c212f665074e4d9cd1662d7a7bee8f7e.jpg

IMG_4529.thumb.jpg.1831d8d6ff7879cdb26a4244f828070b.jpg

IMG_4536.thumb.jpg.0322d31b7857b5101b3b82fe3a6a406b.jpg

IMG_4537.thumb.jpg.820a53dbeb437e60143e48af32f5c90b.jpg

IMG_4535.thumb.jpg.e3834bfa670a05bdf2fec6ccbf1b3eea.jpg

Can you tell the ones the boys carried up the stairs to the fridge on this very, very hot day?

The EZtemper in the trunk was alarming at about 36 degrees when I arrived.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_4535.thumb.jpg.e3834bfa670a05bdf2fec6ccbf1b3eea.jpg

Can you tell the ones the boys carried up the stairs to the fridge on this very, very hot day?

The EZtemper in the trunk was alarming at about 36 degrees when I arrived.

Is that a hibiscus flower? I could see doing that on beautifully in some nice colors.

3 hours ago, Bentley said:

Is that a hibiscus flower? I could see doing that on beautifully in some nice colors.

I always thought it was a dogwood blossom. Now I’m curious and may do some research.

@Kerry Beal the pictured turkish delight looks softer than the pieces I tried at the workshop — is your version similar to the texture of commercial turkish delight? Did you flavor it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bentley said:

49 minutes ago, curls said:

I always thought it was a dogwood blossom. Now I’m curious and may do some research.

Looks a little pointy to be hibiscus, and dogwoods have 4 petals (I just googled).

I don't assume all flower molds are botanically correct, but since this one has five petals  I'll show my WA state pride and go with apple blossom ;)  YMMV.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, curls said:

@Kerry Beal the pictured turkish delight looks softer than the pieces I tried at the workshop — is your version similar to the texture of commercial turkish delight? Did you flavor it?

That was rose - I didn't try what Anna made at the workshop. Mine was  A bit old and dry so perfect for dipping,

24 minutes ago, Daniel D said:

@Kerry Beal did you see that The_ChocolateLab has a set of “stories” today all about your machine? Check it out!

https://www.instagram.com/the_chocolatelab

Daniel - I did see that - I copied one part of it to my Instagram. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, PastryBree said:

I am following the AIU chocolate cup live on Facebook and spotted an EZ Temper on one of the contestants tables!! 

8733E1E3-4D3F-4373-9CFD-5E4E2B22085D.jpeg

That would be thanks to Rhian Shellshear - he's with the Aussie team training them for the Coupe du Monde. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello y'all! Long-time lurker; first-time poster. I have read nearly all 19 pages of this thread; very informative! I just rec'd my EZ Temper unit Friday. HOORAY! I have twice added my cocoa butter (Cacao Barry tiny pellets; not old and still in temper) and warmed it overnight in the EZ Temper. First time, I melted at factory setting of 33.7; the result was too liquid with melted cocoa butter on top. 2nd time I melted at 33.5; same result. I am now melting at 32.9 and hoping that will do the trick. I've checked and I can hear the slight "whir" of the fan, so that shouldn't be the problem.

For those who use Cacao Barry pure cocoa butter pellets, can you advise if there's a magic target temperature you use? @pastrygirl, I think you use Cacao Barry, right?

I hate to have to keep testing this in tiny increments; I want to use this baby!!! Any advice would be helpful. Thanks all.

• Like 1

@Casey H. welcome to EG! I use Cacao Barry as my source for cocoa butter in the EZ Temper and have found it needed to be set to 33.8 for my needs. I’m sure each unit is just slightly different, but I can’t imagine it would need to go below 33. I also found that a slight bit of melting at the top is not an issue. Once I stir it around a bit it is the correct texture/consistency and tempers properly. Just my experience though and I’m sure @Kerry Beal can answer any technical questions about the machine.

• Like 2