• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EZtemper - The Help You Need to Achieve Perfectly Tempered Chocolate FAST!

John DePaula

46 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Commercial - bought the one with a cat and dog, as well as some snails like them in France this fall.

Perfect! I don't see me being in France any time soon so that makes it even easier to stay off of that slipper slope. :D

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Perfect! I don't see me being in France any time soon so that makes it even easier to stay off of that slipper slope. :D

You can get some from Chocolat-Chocolat in Montreal though! Just call me an enabler.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

That chef's coat is very flattering. What a great color for you! And I don't especially care for Peeps, but those tuxedo versions would be irresistable.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

22 minutes ago, Smithy said:

That chef's coat is very flattering. What a great color for you! And I don't especially care for Peeps, but those tuxedo versions would be irresistable.

Yeah - not something I have any desire to eat!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Ready for PMCA next weekend. 

They are the luckiest people get these beautiful critters. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, curls said:

Beautiful chocolates, what have you filled them with? Good luck at the show!

Just walking the show this time - working on samples for the workshop. 

Frogs are Sosa caramel bits, rest are gianduja 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Just walking the show this time - working on samples for the workshop. 

Frogs are Sosa caramel bits, rest are gianduja 

Hey Kerry do you just fill the molds with straight gianduja or do you make a ganache with the gianduja. Just curious....

21 minutes ago, YetiChocolates said:

Hey Kerry do you just fill the molds with straight gianduja or do you make a ganache with the gianduja. Just curious....

Milk chocolate shell - straight gianduja inside that.

• Like 3

@Kerry Beal, is the frog mold a Chocolate World one or ... ? I have not made any 3-D figures so far. What is the level of difficulty? the rough percentage of failures? I ask because the process looks as if it would be difficult. The city where I live has an annual Harry Potter festival that attracts thousands of people. I know practically nothing about Harry Potter but have been told by someone connected with the festival that frogs are very important in Harry's world; she suggested that, having seen the amount of money parents were throwing around last year on all sorts of stuff for their kids (including some cheaply made candy frogs), they would pay virtually any price for anything connected with frogs, especially with good chocolate involved. I suspect the cost of frog molds would virtually wipe out any profits, but it's worth a little exploring. Alternatively you could bring down a batch and get rich yourself. xD

Edited by Jim D. (log)
  • Like 1

Pretty sure it's a chocolate world mold. This batch had a large number of failures - I think the bottle of reef green I was using is well past it - took forever to melt so I suspect it was the problem. These are crunchy frogs a la Harry Potter so I know they would sell well. I think you could even decorate them much more simply. Perhaps just paint the eyes, splatter with black and spray in a darker green.  

No desire to produce myself!

3 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Pretty sure it's a chocolate world mold.

Looks like chocolat-chocolat has two sizes of it, CW1445 & CW1129

51 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I have not made any 3-D figures so far.

This looks like a regular flat or 1 piece mold, no gluing together.  Or are you concerned about the appendages?

Pretty sure that's the chocolate world CW1129. I've had it bookmarked on the chocolat-chocolat site for a long time, just never got around to ordering it. 

Edit: I'm too slow, pastrygirl already covered it. :D

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

34 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

This looks like a regular flat or 1 piece mold, no gluing together.  Or are you concerned about the appendages?

I guess I'm not concerned about the appendages at this point--but probably would be when I got around to production. I assumed it would require gluing.

18 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I guess I'm not concerned about the appendages at this point--but probably would be when I got around to production. I assumed it would require gluing.

No gluing required for these ones 

I’ve heard all the awesome things you can do with silk- but can somebody be honest and give me any cons?? Trying to convince my boss to buy one instead of a larger tempering machine but it’s a one or the other kinda thing and we need to make sure we’re making the smart decision. Thanks in advance

Honestly, I’ve been using my EZ-Temper since 2015 and I haven’t had ANY downsides, negatives, etc.  It is a tool that (imho) is a MUST have.  

Use it for a week and there is no going back......

• Like 1

Agree with Bob. I got one of the first ones. Don't know what I would do without it. If there is a con, it is having to buy cocoa butter, but in the end, it is worth it.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com