• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EZtemper - The Help You Need to Achieve Perfectly Tempered Chocolate FAST!

John DePaula

I've read 8 pages but skipped the rest so apologies if these have already been answered!

1.Is the idea to use silk instead of a tempering machine?

2.Can it be added to a machine so that I can work at higher temps? I'm finding chocolate is getting thicker than desired, even with temp raised to 34.5.

3.Would using the EZ temper/silk mean that chocolates can be released far more easily and faster from moulds, more so than using tempered choc from a machine?

I'm so intrigued!

13 minutes ago, understandingcocoa said:

I've read 8 pages but skipped the rest so apologies if these have already been answered!

1.Is the idea to use silk instead of a tempering machine?

2.Can it be added to a machine so that I can work at higher temps? I'm finding chocolate is getting thicker than desired, even with temp raised to 34.5.

3.Would using the EZ temper/silk mean that chocolates can be released far more easily and faster from moulds, more so than using tempered choc from a machine?

I'm so intrigued!

1. You can - it does allow you to have tempered milk, white and dark at the same time as long as you have 3 bowls. But it also allows you to temper ganaches, gianduja, meltaway - basically any chocolate or nut and chocolate product. 

2. you add the silk at 33.5 C or lower to any product - so you can have white chocolate at a much higher temperature than normal. Over time you chocolate will thicken up and the temperature can be pushed higher if necessary. 

3. I think the time is probably similar with any well tempered chocolate - but you can have tempered chocolate ready to go a whole lot faster than when you are waiting for a machine to do it's thing.

First time using my EZtemper today.  The sample on the left is chocolate melted to about 38C then cooled to 33.5C with no silk added.  It's mottled and never really set after 20 minutes.  The second sample is the same chocolate 2 minutes later after adding the silk.  It's perfectly smooth and glossy and set right away.  Very happy!  I still made a mess - cuz that's what I do with chocolate - but it was great not having to table the chocolate to temper it.  

IMG_2247.jpg

• Like 6

On 05/11/2017 at 10:36 PM, Kerry Beal said:

1. You can - it does allow you to have tempered milk, white and dark at the same time as long as you have 3 bowls. But it also allows you to temper ganaches, gianduja, meltaway - basically any chocolate or nut and chocolate product. 

2. you add the silk at 33.5 C or lower to any product - so you can have white chocolate at a much higher temperature than normal. Over time you chocolate will thicken up and the temperature can be pushed higher if necessary. 

3. I think the time is probably similar with any well tempered chocolate - but you can have tempered chocolate ready to go a whole lot faster than when you are waiting for a machine to do it's thing.

Sounds like a huge time saver!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

It is indeed - if I do say so myself!

And how! I made some feuilletine earlier this week and got obsessed with making a 2-layer piece with marshmallow and peanut butter meltaway with the feuilletine mixed in. I made the marshmallow last night, and this morning before I left for work I put together the feuilletined meltaway. Total time from sticking the chocolate in the microwave to melt it, to finished product, was less than 30 minutes - including the time it took for the meltaway mixture to cool enough to add the silk. Then about 15 minutes in the refrigerator and it was ready to cut. Can't wait to get home tonight to dip them - which will also be done in a trice thanks to the EZTemper!

Edited by patris
Crappy writing (log)
  • Like 4

Patty

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2017 at 8:18 AM, curls said:

For those of you interested in the melter that Kerry crammed in her suitcase to take home for a trial run, I found a video/advertisement for that melter.  At about the 30 second mark you can see the melter in relation to a chocolate mold. Also a link to Croquade's US website http://www.croquade.us/chocolate-machine.html.

Looks like this group in Delaware is a reseller and they have more details about the melter http://www.croquade.com/la-chocolatiere.

On 10/26/2017 at 12:35 PM, patris said:

Welp, my dream is dashed for the moment - after the difficult process of actually ordering and paying for the thing, I got a note this morning indicating that they don't have them in stock after all, and suggesting I check back in January!

Update! The fine folks at Croquade held on to my money for a month after they cancelled my order, only refunding me after I initiated a dispute via my credit card company. Happy ending, though - I managed to find one at Gygi.com and snagged it for a cool $110.49 with the holiday discount code they are offering on their site. I checked to make sure they actually have them in stock, and evidently they still have 17 left - if you're interested, get it while you can!

• Like 4

Patty

1 hour ago, patris said:

Update! The fine folks at Croquade held on to my money for a month after they cancelled my order, only refunding me after I initiated a dispute via my credit card company. Happy ending, though - I managed to find one at Gygi.com and snagged it for a cool $110.49 with the holiday discount code they are offering on their site. I checked to make sure they actually have them in stock, and evidently they still have 17 left - if you're interested, get it while you can!

Well that saved me some disappointment. It's not really a good time of year for me to spend the money on those but I went to the site anyway just to have a look and be sad that I can't do it right now. It lets you go through the entire checkout process selecting Canada as a shipping destination then, when you get to the final page, it tells you "warning: their are no shipping options available for that location". Seems like it would be much simpler just to leave Canada out of the drop down box that only contains Canada and the United States if Canada isn't really an option.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Not to derail this thread - maybe La Chocolatiere needs its own thread - but how precise is the thermostat?  My complaint about my mol d'art melter is that it's hard to be precise when setting the temperature.  If I want 32C, it's hard to know if I am getting 31, 32 or 33.  Given that the La Chocolatiere costs a lot less than the Mol D'art, I am guessing the thermostat is not any better.  Am I correct?

3 hours ago, Bentley said:

Not to derail this thread - maybe La Chocolatiere needs its own thread - but how precise is the thermostat?  My complaint about my mol d'art melter is that it's hard to be precise when setting the temperature.  If I want 32C, it's hard to know if I am getting 31, 32 or 33.  Given that the La Chocolatiere costs a lot less than the Mol D'art, I am guessing the thermostat is not any better.  Am I correct?

I never set with an eye to exact temperature in any melter.

I melt at a higher setting - then turn down to a vague range of where I want it. I check the temperature with an infra red - when it has dropped to where I want it I turn it up to just where the light turns on.

The la chocolatiere is in degrees F.

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I never set with an eye to exact temperature in any melter.

I melt at a higher setting - then turn down to a vague range of where I want it. I check the temperature with an infra red - when it has dropped to where I want it I turn it up to just where the light turns on.

The la chocolatiere is in degrees F.

I guess it's just my nature to seek precision.....it's a blessing and a curse.  :)

3 minutes ago, Bentley said:

I guess it's just my nature to seek precision.....it's a blessing and a curse.  :)

Well both the Mold'art and the La Chocolatiere seem to be precise - just not accurate due to the nature of the dials on both of them.

Kerry,
I am interested in buying an EZtemper. Just curious what shipping would be. I looked at your website, but I am in Alaska and that usually means we are the exception to standard shipping fees. Often I am told the only option to Alaska is Fed-Ex 2nd day which is Wildly expensive!  Thanks,
Jenny

JB Chocolatier

www.jbchocolatier.com

4 hours ago, JenBunk said:

Kerry,
I am interested in buying an EZtemper. Just curious what shipping would be. I looked at your website, but I am in Alaska and that usually means we are the exception to standard shipping fees. Often I am told the only option to Alaska is Fed-Ex 2nd day which is Wildly expensive!  Thanks,
Jenny

Jenny - send me a PM - we'll talk!

• 2 weeks later...

Got my EZtemper 2 days before the post said it would arrive! My cocoa butter was old so I did what you said about heating it up to 50 then letting it sit at room temp until hard and it worked perfectly. One thing that I have not seen mentioned about how this is a time saver is I don't have to chop my chocolate up finely to make seed chocolate. I can just bust up huge chunks and leave in the melter! The wholesaler I buy my chocolate from only carries the block form so I have always had to chop it up which also made dishes for me. Thanks Kerry!

• Like 1

JB Chocolatier

www.jbchocolatier.com

Just now, JenBunk said:

Got my EZtemper 2 days before the post said it would arrive! My cocoa butter was old so I did what you said about heating it up to 50 then letting it sit at room temp until hard and it worked perfectly. One thing that I have not seen mentioned about how this is a time saver is I don't have to chop my chocolate up finely to make seed chocolate. I can just bust up huge chunks and leave in the melter! The wholesaler I buy my chocolate from only carries the block form so I have always had to chop it up which also made dishes for me. Thanks Kerry!

Glad it's working out for you. 

I usually melt chunks of chocolate in the microwave - rarely bother to bust it up anymore.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Toronto Restaurant Show for the next 3 days. Finally got the embroidery done on the chef coats I bought in France. 

IMG_8494.jpg.d67de2f1f50a867850faad9bee13a99d.jpg

When you get a little bored you can start playing with Peeps!

IMG_8500.jpg.49a5a5bc36ed8ddbf97791670e84b95f.jpg

• Like 13
  • Haha 5

22 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

When you get a little bored you can start playing with Peeps!

IMG_8500.jpg.49a5a5bc36ed8ddbf97791670e84b95f.jpg

Those are awesome... from that angle, looks kinda like Spy vs. Spy all dressed up for a formal occasion! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Couple of pics from yesterday at the show - managed to find a low carb bite for lunch.

IMG_8512.thumb.JPG.867e3532c49b79b7931637f5ac54de2e.JPG

IMG_8514.thumb.JPG.ba68b4fb6fefacfa8a95db0b4e703861.JPG

My neighbors from EMF took home a cat and dog - and a cat to the flatbread vendors across the aisle 

• Like 8

That's a mighty drumstick! Are those cats and dogs commercial molds or molds you made? Not that I need to start down the slippery slope of buying figure molds, just curious because I like them.

36 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

That's a mighty drumstick! Are those cats and dogs commercial molds or molds you made? Not that I need to start down the slippery slope of buying figure molds, just curious because I like them.

Commercial - bought the one with a cat and dog, as well as some snails like them in France this fall.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1