• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EZtemper - The Help You Need to Achieve Perfectly Tempered Chocolate FAST!

John DePaula

13 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Crunchy frogs - just a little bit of freeze dried caramel bits in each.

Authentic recipes use bones, I understand. :P

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Not that one - the Sosa product is just so good that I haven't even bothered to try.

Wow, now I want to try the Sosa. Freeze dried caramel. :-)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Albert Uster carries it.

Yes, I know! Hoping JMA still has a bunch of Sosa products so I can try them out during the eGullet Chocolate & Confections workshop and figure out what to order from Albert Uster. Those freezed dried caramel bits are on my AUI shopping list.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2017 at 10:15 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Not that one - the Sosa product is just so good that I haven't even bothered to try.

I hunted for Sosa products in Australia and found some but no freeze dried caramel. So I sent a batch of my caramel off to my supplier of freeze dried fruit and they are going to freeze dry it for me as a test. Fingers crossed that it works. If so I will have a constant supply. And the best part is it only cost $4.50AUD per kilo for the freeze drying so it will be quite cheap for me. I already have lots of ideas how to use it. Thanks for the inspiration @Kerry Beal

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
On 2017-04-02 at 4:17 AM, a_pinch_of said:

I hunted for Sosa products in Australia and found some but no freeze dried caramel. So I sent a batch of my caramel off to my supplier of freeze dried fruit and they are going to freeze dry it for me as a test. Fingers crossed that it works. If so I will have a constant supply. And the best part is it only cost $4.50AUD per kilo for the freeze drying so it will be quite cheap for me. I already have lots of ideas how to use it. Thanks for the inspiration @Kerry Beal

@a_pinch_of - I'm curious to know how your freeze dried caramel turned out.

Very exciting e-mail this morning from one of my 'ambassadors' in Sweden - there was an article published about him in Journal Chocolat and he waxed poetic about his EZtemper.

I first got to know Ryan when he purchased an EZtemper for the Swedish pastry team when they were competing at the Coupe du Monde in Lyon. He's an Australian and will be moving back to Oz in the fall and getting the team there ready for competition as I understand it.

IMG_3669.thumb.jpg.212f195b180b4328eae74d95ba5444ea.jpg

IMG_3671.thumb.jpg.d4d56f3b61bf5a6eb78e0aff6356875b.jpg

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, keychris said:

is there a 240V option on the EZ temper?

It's 12 V with an adapter that handles 100 to 240 - 50 or 60 Hz so it only needs a 3 prong appliance cord appropriate to the country you are in or a wall plug adapter to adapt US cord to your wall plug. I brought along a European cord with me here to Belgium for the unit I've repaired. There are 4 in Australia right now - none in Melbourne though (but not knowing the geography there could be one in the "Melbourne area").

9 hours ago, adey73 said:

Kerry how would you use the EZtemper with the La Chocolatière that you just mentioned elsewhere?

I'd use the la Chocolatière to melt and hold the chocolate at temperature - when I have it at 33.5C or less I'd add the 1% EZtemper silk (likely 30 grams if it holds 3 kg of chocolate) and stir. Bob's your uncle. 

Small melters I find useful at trade shows as I really don't need a lot of melted chocolate for my demos.

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎17 at 1:54 AM, Kerry Beal said:

I'd use the la Chocolatière to melt and hold the chocolate at temperature - when I have it at 33.5C or less I'd add the 1% EZtemper silk (likely 30 grams if it holds 3 kg of chocolate) and stir. Bob's your uncle. 

Small melters I find useful at trade shows as I really don't need a lot of melted chocolate for my demos.

I think my biggest question about it, and based on the pictures you shared, I think I already know the answer, would be... is it big enough to somewhat easily dump and scrape the molds over without chocolate going everywhere? It took a little searching but I was finally able to track down glass bowls large enough for that task. It was worth the search effort for the cleanup time saved.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

16 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I think my biggest question about it, and based on the pictures you shared, I think I already know the answer, would be... is it big enough to somewhat easily dump and scrape the molds over without chocolate going everywhere? It took a little searching but I was finally able to track down glass bowls large enough for that task. It was worth the search effort for the cleanup time saved.

Because it's rectangular - I think it will do the job. It's not the size of the 6 kg melters which easily handle the task - but I think much better than the round 3 kg melters. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, curls said:

Found a video/advertisement for that melter...  at about the 30 second mark you can see the melter in relation to a chocolate mold.

The mold they ship with it has a couple of blank rows at the end.

So - the bowl measures about 9 inches by around 8 1/4 inches. I could get about 2.4 kg heaped in it (similar to what I can put in the 3 kg mol d'art). Extra chocolate could be added as it melts and I'll bet you can get over 3 kg in there. I left about 1 kg of chocolate in the machine and turned it to the highest temperature which is around 115º F. The dial is in ºF. 

The instruction manual suggests that 30 minutes with a couple of stirs will get you melted - I didn't read that until about 1 1/2 hours had gone by - so I wandered down into the lab and gave it a stir - and indeed it was already melted.

• Like 1

Sounds and looks like it would be a little smaller than ideal but workable. The next step up (the 6 kg mol d'art), price aside, is really more volume than I'd actually need at this point.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 minute ago, Tri2Cook said:

Sounds and looks like it would be a little smaller than ideal but workable. The next step up (the 6 kg mol d'art), price aside, is really more volume than I'd actually need at this point.

Inclined to agree.

OK I think I am going to get an EZtemper as a gift to myself.  My wife won't let me put a bank of Selmi machines in the kitchen, so this maybe the next best thing.  I think I would do a lot more chocolate work if I didn't have to spend so much time tempering chocolate.  I always put off making chocolates because I have to temper chocolate for the shell, then temper a different chocolate for the filling, then retemper the first chocolate for capping.    So much time just spent pushing chocolate around the marble.  Not to mention the mess I alsways seem to make putting it back in the bowl.

• Like 2