• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EZtemper - The Help You Need to Achieve Perfectly Tempered Chocolate FAST!

John DePaula

I was very taken by Tikidoc's dragon molds at the workshop - and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! 

So tonight used the EZtemper to make some fire breathing dragons - meltaway made with senape. You can see the difference between the meltaway emulsion on the top of the spatula and the bottom after the silk has been added. The mold filled with meltaway 10 minutes in the fridge was ready to be backed off - 5 minutes after that 'here be fire breathing dragons'!

IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2276.jpg

• Like 14

Dammit. I'm going to end up buying a couple of those molds. I got all excited when I saw the pictures from the workshop but managed to convince myself that they could wait, that I didn't need them right now since I don't have much in the way of mold decorating skills at this point. Then you post these incredible looking dragons and I'm all fired up to get them again. :D

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Hey - if I put pop rocks in the filling I could make snap dragons!

Now you are giving your imagination free reign!  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_2392.jpg

@alleguede has been invited to make a product for the upcoming Toronto Garlic Festival this fall - the creator of the festival came to the shop the other day with a small sample of black garlic and we discussed some ideas we might like to try. 

So I've been playing with various forms of garlic - I've candied some roasted garlic cloves, confited some cloves in duck fat in the pressure cooker, and I'm making some black garlic sous vide in the garage (smells to strongly for the kitchen and has to go for about 20 days).

So these are caramels that contain a rather astounding amount of confit garlic - used the EZtemper to temper up a bit of milk and dark to enrobe some to see what is the best fit.  Some simply twisted in cello (it's just so much easier to enrobe).

• Like 5

I'm not sure I would ever have had the idea for, or the bravery to produce, chocolate covered garlic caramels. But it makes me smile that somebody did... and it surprises me not at all that the somebody was you.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'm still debating the chocolate covered candied garlic cloves - not sure I want to go there - but I do have them made so perhaps I should try. They'll need a number of days of sitting out to get sufficiently tacky.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pastryani said:

Kerry what about freeze-dried garlic bits in a thin milk chocolate bar??

Good idea - garlic doesn't freeze dry well in cloves but in thin slices it would work. I'll have to get someone who is willing to risk their fingers with the mandoline for me.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, pastryani said:

Kerry what about freeze-dried garlic bits in a thin milk chocolate bar??

47 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Good idea - garlic doesn't freeze dry well in cloves but in thin slices it would work. I'll have to get someone who is willing to risk their fingers with the mandoline for me.

Now we have the early stages of garlic bark! This is awesome. Hmmm... freeze dried garlic and corn bark? :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

So I've been playing with various forms of garlic - I've candied some roasted garlic cloves, confited some cloves in duck fat in the pressure cooker, and I'm making some black garlic sous vide in the garage (smells to strongly for the kitchen and has to go for about 20 days).

Kerry - I know this is the EZTemper/chocolate thread but I am very interested in what 'recipe' you are using to sous vide that garlic (to make black garlic). If you have a moment to detail (perhaps in some other thread?), I would appreciate it. I looked it up and some say you need at least 140 degrees (in order to ensure no botulism) but absolutely no hotter than that either. Others say 119 degrees is sufficient if fermented for 26 days. But, I didn't really find a 'recipe' per se (timing, temp, technique, etc.). Some say make it in a rice cooker on 'warm' for 2 weeks. Some say use the dehydrator and wrap in Lexan, plastic wrap and foil to make airtight. Have you managed to produce good black garlic (if you did and ate it, I presume it was safe) before via sous vide?

I think black garlic with its deep balsamic nuances would be wonderful with chocolate. :) That should be a winner!

Edited by Deryn (log)

5 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Now we have the early stages of garlic bark! This is awesome. Hmmm... freeze dried garlic and corn bark? :D

It gets better and better - thanks guys!

I have to chime in here and tell you that I got to taste the enrobed garlic caramel. I was reluctant to take that first bite and had already made up my mind that I would hate it. That first bite did set me back on my heels and I decided to bin the rest. But I was drawn back to it and before you could say "Jack Spratt" I had eaten the whole thing. 

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, Deryn said:

Kerry - I know this is the EZTemper/chocolate thread but I am very interested in what 'recipe' you are using to sous vide that garlic (to make black garlic). If you have a moment to detail (perhaps in some other thread?), I would appreciate it. I looked it up and some say you need at least 140 degrees (in order to ensure no botulism) but absolutely no hotter than that either. Others say 119 degrees is sufficient if fermented for 26 days. But, I didn't really find a 'recipe' per se (timing, temp, technique, etc.). Some say make it in a rice cooker on 'warm' for 2 weeks. Some say use the dehydrator and wrap in Lexan, plastic wrap and foil to make airtight. Have you managed to produce good black garlic (if you did and ate it, I presume it was safe) before via sous vide?

I think black garlic with its deep balsamic nuances would be wonderful with chocolate. :) That should be a winner!

I'll start a new thread on it tonight if I can get this damn computer to cooperate - or head back into one of the old threads where I know we've discussed it before. This is my first attempt - I'll link you to the Chef Steps post that prompted my attempt using this method.

• Like 1

Quick question to Kerry, or any other lucky EZTemper owners: 

I easily could have missed it in this thread, so I'll apologize in advance if its already been asked and answered.   But, I have the electricians coming out to the house this coming Monday, and they need to know what kind of outlets I need. So, I am assuming the EZ Temper is going to require a 110 outlet, correct?  He asked for the Amps also.   I went through the online user manual, and did not see that particular info. If you can help me fill in the blanks, that would be most appreciated!!!!

This has to be done for every.single.appliance and light fixture in the entire house. So frustrating. O.o 

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

Exciting mention today for EZtemper! Michael Laiskonis, eG'er from way back, previous executive pastry chef of 3 star Le Bernardin, and now Creative Director at ICE - where he is currently creating a bean to bar chocolate lab - has added an EZtemper to the lab.  

Facebook link here

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 12

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Exciting mention today for EZtemper! Michael Laiskonis, eG'er from way back, previous executive pastry chef of 3 star Le Bernardin, and now Creative Director at ICE - where he is currently creating a bean to bar chocolate lab - has added an EZtemper to the lab.  

Facebook link here

Yay!  I saw his post on Instagram (which I prefer for food photos) and thought of you. 

https://www.instagram.com/mlaiskonis/

• Like 3

@Kerry Beal

That's just cruel!

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

@Kerry Beal

That's just cruel!

Yeah, a little bit. I've been following and inspired by Michael Laiskonis' work for a lot of years. If I had to name my most important pastry influence (besides my mom, I would probably have never started in the first place without her), this would be the guy. The biggest thing he unknowingly did for me was push me to examine why I was doing certain things. Plated desserts had hit the high-point of that phase where huge numbers of components were getting scattered and tossed all over the place and you had to play a game of connect the dots to eat it. I would look at what he was doing and wonder why he wasn't doing that too. It certainly wouldn't have been lack of ability. Then it hit me... because he knew what people really wanted. A delicious and beautiful dessert that didn't require instructions to enjoy. It connected and changed what I was doing for the better. Anyway, apologies for going off-course a bit with this but it was an important realization for me and completely changed the way I thought about what I was doing. This long-winded gushing was the jealousy-induced result. :D

• Like 4