• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

20 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

I don't know how you guys do this.  I'm determined to get it but OMG .... temps, crystals, seeding.  I flunked Algebra twice in high school (aced Geometry with straight As though!) and I feel like I'm back in math class! 🤣

If you understand crystallization in sugar, chocolate is essentially the same.  If you get an undissolved bit of sugar in your caramel it will crystallize, with chocolate you're substituting un-melted cocoa butter crystals.   If you make fudge or fondant you have to stir at a certain temp to get crystallization, same with chocolate.  Stir, stir, stir.  If it seems like it should be tempered but isn't, let it cool a little more, stir a little more and test again.

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

19 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

I don't know how you guys do this.  I'm determined to get it but OMG .... temps, crystals, seeding.  I flunked Algebra twice in high school (aced Geometry with straight As though!) and I feel like I'm back in math class! 🤣

If you understand crystallization in sugar, chocolate is essentially the same.  If you get an undissolved bit of sugar in your caramel it will crystallize, with chocolate you're substituting cocoa butter as the catalyst.   If you make fudge or fondant you have to stir at a certain temp to get crystallization, same with chocolate.  Stir, stir, stir.  If it seems like it should be tempered but isn't, let it cool a little more, stir a little more and test again.