• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JeanneCake

JeanneCake

ETA that I don't really want to bother Kerry because she's busy saving our lives from the pandemic and this is kind of a trivial thing by comparison.

I am clearly doing something wrong - I bought a case of cocoa butter three or four weeks ago from AUI, powered up the EZ and left two containers in for 24 hours.  Very lumpy so left it in another day.  Still lumpy.  Took them out, and forgot to put them back in for the day :( so the  next day they went back in - still very seed-y, lump-y looking.  No change after 24 hours.  In desperation I melted it all out (took the CB to 93dF) put it back in to see what would happen.  (I haven't changed the default temp setting, it's at 33.8)  I've lost track of how long it's been in there but this is what it looked like at the end of the day  yesterday.  These *$&%^ chocolate bombs are killing me - I don't know how to temper chocolate to begin with and learning on a curve during a holiday season in the midst of a pandemic is probably not the best time to learn something new ;)  And I am learning that working clean when working with chocolate is simply not possible as a novice 🤣.

What am I doing wrong?  Should I have melted the CB to a higher temp? Or just wait longer?

20201209_193819.jpg

20201209_193746.jpg

Edited to add: I don't really want to bother Kerry with such a trivial question because she's busy saving our lives in the pandemic so I'm hoping someone else has had this issue and can tell me what worked for them.

JeanneCake

JeanneCake

I am clearly doing something wrong - I bought a case of cocoa butter three or four weeks ago from AUI, powered up the EZ and left two containers in for 24 hours.  Very lumpy so left it in another day.  Still lumpy.  Took them out, and forgot to put them back in for the day :( so the  next day they went back in - still very seed-y, lump-y looking.  No change after 24 hours.  In desperation I melted it all out (took the CB to 93dF) put it back in to see what would happen.  (I haven't changed the default temp setting, it's at 33.8)  I've lost track of how long it's been in there but this is what it looked like at the end of the day  yesterday.  These *$&%^ chocolate bombs are killing me - I don't know how to temper chocolate to begin with and learning on a curve during a holiday season in the midst of a pandemic is probably not the best time to learn something new ;)  And I am learning that working clean when working with chocolate is simply not possible as a novice 🤣.

What am I doing wrong?  Should I have melted the CB to a higher temp? Or just wait longer?

20201209_193819.jpg

20201209_193746.jpg