• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

curls

curls

added topic links

Sorry but I feel the need to comment on these recent posts. Microplaning a block of tempered cocoa butter and using it to temper chocolate is a valid technique for seeding chocolate. This is similar to the use of Mycryo for tempering — not the same as using Mycryo but similar. It is not, as one would suspect from the topic it is posted in, a use of EZtemper silk. When you work with EZtemper silk you are working with cocoa butter with stage V crystals that are “liquid” and emulsified (probably not the correct chemistry description but I am not a chemist). This silk can be added to chocolate, ganache, meltaways, etc. to shift it to a tempered state quickly and easily. Having tempered via EZTemper silk, tabling, seed, Mycryo, and various tempering machines, I want to add a note to this topic to make it clear that the use of EZtemper silk is not the same as using solid shaved tempered cocoa butter to temper chocolate. Perhaps if we are to continue this discussion the alternate tempering methods should be explored in another topic or topics.

link to general tempering topic

link to Mycryo topic 

curls

curls

Sorry but I feel the need to comment on these recent posts. Microplaning a block of tempered cocoa butter and using it to temper chocolate is a valid technique for seeding chocolate. This is similar to the use of Mycryo for tempering — not the same as using Mycryo but similar. It is not, as one would suspect from the topic it is posted in, a use of EZtemper silk. When you work with EZtemper silk you are working with cocoa butter with stage V crystals that are “liquid” and emulsified (probably not the correct chemistry description but I am not a chemist). This silk can be added to chocolate, ganache, meltaways, etc. to shift it to a tempered state quickly and easily. Having tempered via EZTemper silk, tabling, seed, Mycryo, and various tempering machines, I want to add a note to this topic to make it clear that the use of EZtemper silk is not the same as using solid shaved tempered cocoa butter to temper chocolate. Perhaps if we are to continue this discussion the alternate tempering methods should be explored in another topic or topics.

link to Mycryo topic 

curls

curls

Sorry but I feel the need to comment on these recent posts. Microplaning a block of tempered cocoa butter and using it to temper chocolate is a valid technique for seeding chocolate. This is similar to the use of Mycro for tempering — not the same as using Mycro but similar. It is not, as one would suspect from the topic it is posted in, a use of EZtemper silk. When you work with EZtemper silk you are working with cocoa butter with stage V crystals that are “liquid” and emulsified (probably not the correct chemistry description but I am not a chemist). This silk can be added to chocolate, ganache, meltaways, etc. to shift it to a tempered state quickly and easily. Having tempered via EZTemper silk, tabling, seed, Mycro, and various tempering machines, I want to add a note to this topic to make it clear that the use of EZtemper silk is not the same as using solid shaved tempered cocoa butter to temper chocolate. Perhaps if we are to continue this discussion the alternate tempering methods should be explored in another topic or topics.

curls

curls

Sorry but I feel the need to comment on these recent posts. Microplaning a block of tempered cocoa butter and using it to temper chocolate is a valid technique for seeding your chocolate. This is similar to the use of Mycro for tempering — not the same as using Mycro but similar. It is not, as one would suspect from the topic it is posted in, a use of EZtemper silk. When you work with EZtemper silk you are working with cocoa butter with stage V crystals that are “liquid” and emulsified (probably not the correct chemistry description but I am not a chemist). This silk can be added to chocolate, ganache, meltaways, etc. to shift it to a tempered state quickly and easily. Having tempered via EZTemper silk, tabling, seed, Mycro, and various tempering machines, I want to add a note to this topic to make it clear that the use of EZtemper silk is not the same as using solid shaved tempered cocoa butter to temper chocolate. Perhaps if we are to continue this discussion the alternate tempering methods should be explored in another topic or topics.