• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

So just let me confirm - you took the chocolate out of the melanger, cooled to around 32º C (checked after stirring to make sure that you weren't just getting the surface temperature), added the silk when the chocolate was at 32º C, stirred a bit more, then molded? Then put into the 19º C room to cool?

If all that is correct - then the next step is to address the cooling. I wait until I see the molds just starting to crystallize around the edges (go from shiny to glossy) - then pop them in the fridge (wire racks, good air circulation around each mold) for 15 to 20 minutes or so or until I see they have pretty much separated from the molds. What sort of molds are those that you are using? Are you able to see through them to see when they have separated?

Once that has happened - then I would leave them in the molds at a cool room temperature if you are able. It's ideal if you can leave them in the molds overnight - but production doesn't allow that for most people. It can take up to 24 hours for chocolate to fully crystallize and be it's most stable so that it is less likely to mark with fingerprints. 

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

So just let me confirm - you took the chocolate out of the melanger, cooled to around 32º C (checked after stirring to make sure that you weren't just getting the surface temperature), added the silk when the chocolate was at 32º C, stirred a bit more, then molded? Then put into the 19º C room to cool?