• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

27 minutes ago, akonsu said:

@pastrygirlthank you very much, I missed that information. It says that on the eztemper web site as well. Not that I am arguing, I am only trying to understand: is this essential to keep the silk soft? Why not make a powder from it when it solidifies, like Mycryo?

The solid form, when powdered or shaved with a microplane becomes quite electrostatic - you wear more in your hair than you will get in the chocolate. I did extensive experiments with the solidified form and found that it did not temper as well as at the silky consistency. That's why I chose the name silk for the product that the EZtemper makes - a name that has been co opted for something that I certainly don't consider to be silky. 

If you go back to the posts starting March 3, 2017 in this thread you can see the experiments. 

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

23 minutes ago, akonsu said:

@pastrygirlthank you very much, I missed that information. It says that on the eztemper web site as well. Not that I am arguing, I am only trying to understand: is this essential to keep the silk soft? Why not make a powder from it when it solidifies, like Mycryo?

The solid form, when powdered or shaved with a microplane becomes quite electrostatic - you wear more in your hair than you will get in the chocolate. I did extensive experiments with the solidified form and found that it did not temper as well as at the silky consistency. That's why I chose the name silk for the product that the EZtemper makes - a name that has been co opted for something that I certainly don't consider to be silky. If you want to use something solid - I'd just use mycryo. 

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

18 minutes ago, akonsu said:

The solid form, when powdered or shaved with a microplane becomes quite electrostatic - you wear more in your hair than you will get in the chocolate. I did extensive experiments with the solidified form and found that it did not temper as well as at the silky consistency. That's why I chose the name silk for the product that the EZtemper makes - a name that has been co opted for something that I certainly don't consider to be silky.