• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

YetiChocolates

YetiChocolates

I fill a sink with hot water, add the molds, then rinse and wipe the water out with cotton balls, then polish with 90% alcohol. Never use soap. I have to wipe out the molds right away because the water in my space has a fair amount of calcium in it. 

I do agree that it’s funny how we all have different techniques to clean molds!

As for cocoa butter, I have a dehydrator that I warm my cocoa butter and keep my gun in, and have it set at 95F. When I get ready to airbrush I take the cocoa butter out and shake it a few times then use it in the gun. Rarely do I have issues with sticking. As for handpainting, I’ve become a lot more diligent at checking temps before using and making sure it’s below 90F, and have had much better success. 

YetiChocolates

YetiChocolates

I fill a sink with hot water, add the molds, then rinse and wipe the water out with cotton balls, then polish with 90% alcohol. Never use soap. I have to wipe out the molds right away because the water in my space has a fair amount of calcium in it. 

I do agree that it’s funny how we all have different techniques to clean molds!