• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

to remove the soap from my machine!

13 hours ago, Bentley said:

Got my EZtemper  up and running with a couple canisters of silk. Going to try making some chocolates tomorrow.  I did have a couple questions:

Is it ok if there is a small amount of liquid cocoa butter on top of the silk?  It doesn't seem excessive at all and stirs back in, but I just want to make sure I don't have to turn down the temp.  

Also, how long can silk stay in the machine?  I don't produce a lot of chocolates so the two canisters of silk will last a long time.  Does it go bad?  Does it need to be stirred every so often?

Nope - a little liquid is fine - turn it down 0.1 or 0.2. That silk  won't change unless you take it out and let it harden completely and put it back in. But the next canister you put in will be less liquid.

I have had silk in the machine for more than six months, it does not go bad. Nor does it need any attention. 

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

12 hours ago, Bentley said:

Got my EZtemper  up and running with a couple canisters of silk. Going to try making some chocolates tomorrow.  I did have a couple questions:

Is it ok if there is a small amount of liquid cocoa butter on top of the silk?  It doesn't seem excessive at all and stirs back in, but I just want to make sure I don't have to turn down the temp.  

Also, how long can silk stay in the machine?  I don't produce a lot of chocolates so the two canisters of silk will last a long time.  Does it go bad?  Does it need to be stirred every so often?

Nope - a little liquid is fine - turn it down 0.1 or 0.2. That silk  won't change unless you take it out and let it harden completely and put it back in. But the next canister you put in will be less likely.

I have had silk in the machine for more than six months, it does not go bad. Nor does it need any attention. 

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

10 hours ago, Bentley said:

Nope - a little liquid is fine - turn it down 0.1 or 0.2. That silk  won't change unless you take it out and let it harden completely and put it back in. But the next canister you put in will be less likely.

I have had soap in the machine for more than six months, it does not go bad. Nor does it need any attention.