• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CacaoC

CacaoC

I gifted myself an EZ Temper unit last December just before holidays and wow, I was very happy to do not have to deal with the stress of last minute confection making and tempered chocolate issues.  ( Ah work and life...!:$ )

I started doing chocolate bonbons many years ago (mostly for Christmas gifts and sometime for Valentine, I would sell about 60% of my production to parent's colleagues, friends and such, cuz ingredients can be expensive!) and I would like to think that I mostly did well in the tempering department once I started buying good quality chocolate couverture. The seeding method was always either a hit or miss. So I resorted mostly to the tabling tempering method (it worked well 95% of the time, but very messy and I was always paranoid that something could contaminate the chocolate and the ganache) and the ''bain marie'' method. I even used the MyCryo, but it was always an hassle to deal with unmelted cocoa butter particles once the chocolate was well tempered...  As everybody know, even if you master all those methods, sometime chocolate has a mind of its own.  Using the cocoa silk just make things easier and more enjoyable while doing small chocolate production. 

I also have moved in a smaller place with a very narrow kitchen and with the the help of my MoldArt melter, I don't need as many tools that I normally would . Definitely less messy and an huge time saver. 

Plus it's easier to transport an EZ Temper unit than a big Selmi machine! ;)

CacaoC

CacaoC

I gifted myself an EZ Temper unit last December just before holidays and wow, I was very happy to do not have to deal with the stress of last minute confection making and tempered chocolate issues.  ( Ah work and life...!:$ )

I started doing chocolate bonbons many years ago (mostly for Christmas gifts and sometime for Valentine, I would sell about 60% of my production to parent's colleagues, friends and such, cuz ingredients can be expensive!) and I would like to think that I mostly did well in the tempering department once I started buying good quality chocolate couverture. The seeding method was always either a hit or miss. So I resorted mostly to the tabling tempering method (it worked well 95% of the time, but very messy and I was always paranoid that something could contaminate the chocolate and the ganache) and the ''bain marie'' method. I even used the MyCryo, but it was always an hassle to deal with unmelted cocoa butter particles once the chocolate was well tempered...  As everybody know, even if you master all those methods, sometime chocolate has a mind of its own.  Using the cocoa silk just make things easier and more enjoyable while doing small chocolate production. 

I also have moved in a smaller place with a very narrow kitchen and with the the help of my MoldArt melter, I don't need as many tools that I normally would . Definitely less messy and an huge time saver. 

Plus it's easier to transport a EZ Temper unit than a big Selmi machine! ;)