• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

by request

Kerry, a question on CB silk ...

I recently read a blog post about silk ... the author said you can use it right away or let it solidify and shave off bits to use as solid seed, a la Mycryo.  My question is, is the solidified silk more effective seed than if you had tempered and cooled CB without the lengthy silk process?  Is the solid silk higher in beta crystals and therefore superior to CB tempered in one of the usual ways?  Or is it a waste of a day to make silk then let it solidify before use?

It seems like everyone here uses silk in the softened state ...

Just curious.

thanks!

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

by request

I recently read a blog post about the silk ... the author said you can use it right away or let it solidify and shave off bits to use as solid seed, a la Mycryo.  My question is, is the solidified silk more effective seed than if you had tempered and cooled CB without the lengthy silk process?  Is the solid silk higher in beta crystals and therefore superior to CB tempered in one of the usual ways?  Or is it a waste of a day to make silk then let it solidify before use?

Just curious.

thanks!

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

I recently read a blog post about how great silk is, demonstrating how to make it with an immersion circulator.  The author said you can use it right away or let it solidify and shave off bits to use as solid seed, a la Mycryo.  My question is, is the solidified silk more effective seed than if you had tempered and cooled CB without the lengthy silk process?  Is the solid silk higher in beta crystals and therefore superior to CB tempered in one of the usual ways?  Or is it a waste of a day to make silk then let it solidify before use?

Just curious.

thanks!