• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

So I've been playing with various forms of garlic - I've candied some roasted garlic cloves, confited some cloves in duck fat in the pressure cooker, and I'm making some black garlic sous vide in the garage (smells to strongly for the kitchen and has to go for about 20 days).

Kerry - I know this is the EZTemper/chocolate thread but I am very interested in what 'recipe' you are using to sous vide that garlic (to make black garlic). If you have a moment to detail (perhaps in some other thread?), I would appreciate it. I looked it up and some say you need at least 140 degrees (in order to ensure no botulism) but absolutely no hotter than that either. Others say 119 degrees is sufficient if fermented for 26 days. But, I didn't really find a 'recipe' per se (timing, temp, technique, etc.). Some say make it in a rice cooker on 'warm' for 2 weeks. Some say use the dehydrator and wrap in Lexan, plastic wrap and foil to make airtight. Have you managed to produce good black garlic (if you did and ate it, I presume it was safe) before via sous vide?

I think black garlic with its deep balsamic nuances would be wonderful with chocolate. :) That should be a winner!

Deryn

Deryn

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

So I've been playing with various forms of garlic - I've candied some roasted garlic cloves, confited some cloves in duck fat in the pressure cooker, and I'm making some black garlic sous vide in the garage (smells to strongly for the kitchen and has to go for about 20 days).

Kerry - I know this is the EZTemper/chocolate thread but I am very interested in what 'recipe' you are using to sous vide that garlic (to make black garlic). If you have a moment to detail (perhaps in some other thread?), I would appreciate it. I looked it up and some say you need at least 140 degrees (in order to ensure no botulism) but absolutely no hotter than that either. Others say 119 degrees is sufficient if fermented for 26 days. But, I didn't really find a 'recipe' per se (timing, temp, technique, etc.). Some say make it in a rice cooker on 'warm' for 2 weeks. Some say use the dehydrator and wrap in Lexan, plastic wrap and foil to make airtight. Have you managed to produce good black garlic (if you did and ate it, I presume it was safe) before via sous vide?

I think black garlic with its wonderful balsamic nuances would be wonderful with chocolate. :) That should be a winner!