• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Report: eG Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2015

Kerry Beal

Great photos, and it looks like a lot of fun!

A question on The Four Sisters' food: is "shaky beef" a commentary on its quality, or a specified dish?  If the latter, what does it mean?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

One of the most impressive things I saw all weekend. Kerry's EZtemper. I saw it and still don't believe it! You have untempered chocolate at about working temperature, put a small amount (less than a teaspoon) of EZtemper silk cocoa butter. Stir  a few times, and let it stand for a minute. You then have TEMPERED CHOCOLATE!!  I kept seeing it happen, and I still don't believe it. I can't let Kerry have all the toys, so I am going home with my own EZ.

Isn't this just how you seed with Callebaut mycryo?

Thanks for the pics, looks like you had a great time :D

Great photos, and it looks like a lot of fun!

A question on The Four Sisters' food: is "shaky beef" a commentary on its quality, or a specified dish?  If the latter, what does it mean?

I usual see it as shaking beef - see this description (shaking as in the pan)  http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2008/05/wok-seared-shak.html

• Like 1

Keychris - good question, we also brought that up. Mycryo has much larger crystals and as a result it doesn't melt/blend well into the untempered chocolate. Mine EZTemp is already in temper and provides the correct crystals at a temp that allows it to melt totally and completely into the untempered chocolate.

Sunday was a day to "play" in the kitchen. Everywhere you looked people were immersed in activity. Ruth was doing a demo on hand dipping; Kerry was doing a demo on the EZTemp; Steve was doing a demo on decorations; Curls was doing a demo on ganache development; and on it went throughout the day.

Mark even showed up for the day, giving us the benefit of his expertise. He even showed us his tabling technique.

I was so busy, I forgot I had a camera, so, the only picture I got was Ruth showing us how to use a guitar - in which her technique to determine proper tension on the wires was confirmed - (the "strings" all play the same note)

Sunday was a day to "play" in the kitchen. Everywhere you looked people were immersed in activity. Ruth was doing a demo on hand dipping; Kerry was doing a demo on the EZTemp; Steve was doing a demo on decorations; Curls was doing a demo on ganache development; and on it went throughout the day.

Mark even showed up for the day, giving us the benefit of his expertise. He even showed us his tabling technique.

I was so busy, I forgot I had a camera, so, the only picture I got was Ruth showing us how to use a guitar - in which her technique to determine proper tension on the wires was confirmed - (the "strings" all play the same note)

Keychris - good question, we also brought that up. Mycryo has much larger crystals and as a result it doesn't melt/blend well into the untempered chocolate. Mine EZTemp is already in temper and provides the correct crystals at a temp that allows it to melt totally and completely into the untempered chocolate.

Not to mention, especially in high volume situations, that it would over time be much more cost effective.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Making nougat using this lovely Hobart!

IMG_1152.jpg

Slab of caramel with pecans.

IMG_1156.jpg

Specs on one of the griddles that was used as a warming table for croquant and laminates.

IMG_1158.jpg

The amazing Mark Heim (http://www.heimconfectioneryconsulting.com) explaining how to make croquant. Not only did Mark seem to know the answer to everything, he was a wonderful teacher, able to explain "the why" to the chemists, food scientists, hobbyists, etc.

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

• Like 2

Some photos from Santosh Tiptur's demo. Lots of folks were planning to visit his restaurant, Co Co Sala after sampling the items he made during his demo (cheese fritters with chipotle chocolate dipping sauce & mango lassi bon bon).

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

• Like 3

Saturday's dinner menu from the owners / chefs of Culinaria Cooking School. A few others have posted photos of the meal. My favorites were the smoked cornish game hen and the apple-pear galette... delicious!

IMG_1202.jpg

Fuji sprayed molds

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

Conference Chocolates & Confections. Added bonus of testing out Kerry's machine... no worries about whether the chocolate in the melter was in temper... we just added crystallized cocoa butter to our chocolate to temper it (so much easier than it usually is at the workshops with so many chocolatiers in the room, each making adjustments to the temp of the melters). With the EZ temper in the room we made a lot more meltaways at this workshop since we didn't have to wait for the slabs to crystallize. Alas, no pate de fruit this year... got distracted with other projects.

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

Edited by curls (log)
  • Like 9

That looks like a lot of delicious fun, and very educational.  Curls, was the powdered confection 3 photos up in your last post a version of Turkish Delight?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

That looks like a lot of delicious fun, and very educational.  Curls, was the powdered confection 3 photos up in your last post a version of Turkish Delight?

The powdered piece was a Meltaway. This one was ginger.

• Like 1

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Chocolot correctly identified the powdered piece. There were at least two meltaways: ginger and peanut butter. The ginger meltaway was quite tasty. Haven't tried the peanut butter ones yet.

A few additional pics from Santosh Tiptur's demo.

IMG_1658.jpgIMG_1661.jpgIMG_1662.jpgIMG_1665.jpgIMG_1675.jpgIMG_1677.jpgIMG_1678.jpgIMG_1680.jpg

• Like 3

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"