• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best lobster roll bread

boudin noir

I find the available "hot dog rolls" too small for an ideal lobster roll. Baguettes too hard; the lobster is expressed when you bite down. What are people using as bread for lobster rolls?

You want New England Style Hot Dog Buns - been there, done that, here's what I found last year:

Pepperidge Farm       Recipe to Make Your Own       Chowhound Discussion      New England Hot Dog Rolls

Famous Foods           Hearth Artisan Bread               Friehofer's

Since you've not told us where you're located, and many breads and rolls are made in and for local markets, it might be difficult to give you the best advice.

Good luck!

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

• 4 weeks later...

I found Pepperidge Farm top-loading New England style hog dog rolls at our local Food Lion recently for those in the Southeast area that Food Lion serves. This is the type of roll you get in Maine and Connecticut when you order a lobster roll from a shack or a lobster pound. I have never seen them down here before, and was very glad to get them.

You can only toast them on the outside, but the make great containers for lobster rolls, chili dogs, or anything else where you want to pile on the toppings and eat it out of hand.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

I found Pepperidge Farm top-loading New England style hog dog rolls at our local Food Lion recently for those in the Southeast area that Food Lion serves. This is the type of roll you get in Maine and Connecticut when you order a lobster roll from a shack or a lobster pound. I have never seen them down here before, and was very glad to get them.

You can only toast them on the outside, but the make great containers for lobster rolls, chili dogs, or anything else where you want to pile on the toppings and eat it out of hand.

This thread has got me thinking - next time I make hot dog buns I may try them as "toploaders". After I bake a batch I wrap them individually in foil and freeze. Freezer to toaster oven for 10 minutes or so then unwrap a bun nearly as good as just baked.  

• Like 1