• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tales From My Travels: Turks & Caicos 2015

Here I will start a thread where I will share the wonderful food I have had the opportunity to try through my travels in Europe, Asia and the Americas.

Most recently, I have traveled to Europe and documented the beautiful meals I enjoyed on the following eG thread: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/151070-chocdoc-goes-to-france/

Specifically, the meals I had in Paris and Barcelona were shared with Kerry, who handled the eG reporting. I added my photos from Lisbon as I traveled there on my own, afterwards.

Before this trip, Rodney and I went on vacation with a couple of friends to Providenciales, island of Turks and Caicos.

Turks and Caicos 1.jpg

Here are the food highlights...

We rented a little condo-villa so that we could make our own meals and have all sorts of freedom (http://www.atlanticbeachfrontvillas.com/magnolia-villa.asp).

Most of our meals consisted of local seafood.

Our kitchen tools were very limited, but we did have a barbecue, which was awesome to say the least!

Our friend went off to find coconut to make pina coladas.

Turks and Caicos 2.jpg

One of several dinners on the beach.

Turks and Caicos 3.jpg

We went to Da Conch Shack for lunch... where we saw conch fishing and preparation, a local specialty.

Turks and Caicos 4.jpg

Turks and Caicos 5.jpg

Turks and Caicos 8.jpg

Turks and Caicos 9.jpg

Dates growing in the trees.

Turks and Caicos 10.jpg

On our last night, we decided to get lobsters and make an epic dinner before return to reality.

Note the color of the lobsters in the first photo - they are not yet cooked and yet so colourful!

Turks and Caicos 11.jpg

Turks and Caicos 12.jpg

Our very resourceful friend has since decided that for our next trip together, we will not only cooking our own meals, we will also be hunting it... this is bound to get very interesting and we may just end up starving...

Edited by LukyJess (log)
  • Like 10

You picked a good time to go, given the glorious scenery and weather there and the dreary winter up north.  Thank you for the photos.

Those conch shells are beautiful.  I've had conch once or twice (on Key West) and thought it excellent. How is the conch extracted from the shells? 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

You picked a good time to go, given the glorious scenery and weather there and the dreary winter up north.  Thank you for the photos.

Those conch shells are beautiful.  I've had conch once or twice (on Key West) and thought it excellent. How is the conch extracted from the shells? 

Hi Smithy,

The conch are extracted live; a rock hammer is used to pierce a hole at the tip of the shell to alleviate the internal pressure/suction.

Then the animal is pulled out from the front... (it was sad to watch, as it was wiggling his little eyestalks...)

The animals inedible bits are then cut off.

The verge is apparently an important part to eat raw, to promote human virility.

Then the remainder of the animal is beaten with a meat tenderizer to form a paste that is fried or used to make into dumplings etc.

• Like 2

Just gorgeous.  The first picture of the picture had me practically diving through my screen.  Sigh.

Are those really dates growing in the palms?  Didn't know there were date palms in the Carib.

Looking forward to hearing about more food and adventures!