• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello There!

I've been stalking the chocolate boards for some time now.... deeply impressed with the talented folks I've seen and their awesome creations.

My foodie history... early on I wanted to be chef, so I did my school work placement in a restaurant.  Although I loved the cooking, as a teenage girl the idea of giving up my weekends to cook was too much to handle and I persued other interests (computer programming and project management for corporates). I did however enjoy cooking at Church camps and missions, eventually leading the catering for up to 200 people for weeks at a time, running kitchens for teenage drop in centres, cafes at music festivals etc.   Since having children I have cut back on that.... but I still love to cook.... so....

"Make chocolates" they said.

"It will be easy" they said.

"Everything you need to know will be on youtube" they said.

I have since admitted defeat and am booked in for an introductory chocolate making course in a few months time. 

Although at this very moment there is something resembling chocolate setting in my refrigerator.  My supposed raspberry creams with their touches of gorgeous red cocoa butter more resemble something from an abattoir, however. 

I'll continue to tinker, I never get it right the first time, and do my best to refrain from asking a string of dumb newbie questions until after the course.  :)

Right now I'm going to see if I can clean the chocolate off what appears to be every flat (and curved) surface of my kitchen.

Thanks for having me. 

:)

BR

• Like 3