• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole Foods' New "Chain"??

rotuts

Whole Foods is opening a new 'chain' :

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/The-Bite/2015/0507/Millennial-shoppers-to-spawn-a-cheaper-trendier-Whole-Foods-chain

Soooo are they saying the current chain is over priced ?  foot-print of current stores too large ? 

""  high-quality fresh food at great price ""

Sooo the current prices are not great.

I think it means the employees will know even less, yet profess to know more.

The employees will make more mistakes, due to their eyes being constantly glued to their cell phones or other devices.

And, they will not know how to carry on a conversation, without using the word "like" at least 3 times in every sentence.

"So, these, like, broccoli stems, are, like, so much better for you than, like, the broccoli crowns.  And, like, cheaper too!" 

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I think it means the employees will know even less, yet profess to know more.

The employees will make more mistakes, due to their eyes being constantly glued to their cell phones or other devices.

And, they will not know how to carry on a conversation, without using the word "like" at least 3 times in every sentence.

"So, these, like, broccoli stems, are, like, so much better for you than, like, the broccoli crowns.  And, like, cheaper too!" 

Might be a NYC thing but at least here in California WF employees are a by far more friendly, interested and knowledgable about food, cooking etc. than nearly any other supermarket employee (the exception are sometimes very small, specialized mom'n'pop shops)   

I find the 'food' market(s) very interesting: very low margin, exceptional waste  ( where does all that 'seasoned' 'fresh' salmon go that WF's carries ? )

grated a niche is a niche ... which is, for me. much of WF's foot print

( FD : im no fan )

but :

a curated selection "  "trendy natural foods"  (yellow poka dot baby kale ? )

​I don't even know that this means.  granted it is marketing psycho-gable but ...

a secret weapon in Millennials '   ' are a "foodie" generation'   :huh:

'There are roughly 80 million of them'

hope they station a store near me.

good luck to them!  

chop off 50 % of WF's 'waste'  return that to the customers in an interesting way, and there you go.

but what do I know ?  

"its like McDonalds decided to melt the cheese"

-Me

Edited by rotuts (log)

Might be a NYC thing but at least here in California WF employees are a by far more friendly, interested and knowledgable about food, cooking etc. than nearly any other supermarket employee (the exception are sometimes very small, specialized mom'n'pop shops)   

No, actually - most of the employees at my local WF are quite nice.

I was referring to the references to millenials in the linked to article.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

today's WSJ chimed in.  its analysis :

'smaller, less costly to operate'

'could win over younger, cost-conscious consumers now put off by its array of pricey items'

the new stores also can't  draw off customers from the 400 WH stores

"We've never seen a food retailer operate an entirely new format successfully, especially one that is so different"

names WH has trademarked :  " Daily-shop, Clever Egg  [ed:  :huh: ], Small Batch, Greenlife "

" 1/3 the size of its traditional stores. In line with rival specialty grocers ... Trader Joe's [ ed: kudos GF !]'

" Consumers are saying I don't need marshmallows next to my organic pumpkin seed granola [sic] 

" smart " grocery carts that help customers navigate the store "  [ ed: pumpkin seed granola, turn right now ]

Puts, anyone ?

Edited by rotuts (log)

"And, they will not know how to carry on a conversation, without using the word "like" at least 3 times in every sentence.

"So, these, like, broccoli stems, are, like, so much better for you than, like, the broccoli crowns.  And, like, cheaper too!"" 

And when politely say thank you, they reply "no problem".