• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Problem with Dye Leaching from Kitchen Sponges

Shel_B

I have been using these sponges and these sponges for quite some time.  Recently, I observed that when putting dishwashing detergent on the sponges, the suds are tainted/tinted with the color of the sponge, purple or blue.  It seems that some sort of dye or coloring is bleeding from the sponge.  My new dishes are white, so it's very easy to see this.

I wonder if anyone knows what's happening?  What sort of dyes or coloring is used in these sponges?  Has anyone else observed this? 

I will also write to the manufacturer and see what they have to say.

It seems that I'm not alone in this observation.  Some people at Happy Baby have observed this as well.

I think I'll stop using these sponges and move the more natural sponges, like these (not necessarily Scotch Brite) ...

I also came across this as part of a larger article about environmentally friendly kitchen items.  I need to look further into this issue and what Triclosan is.:

Triclosan and sponges

There’s an added environmental danger with many synthetic sponges these days;

often they are impregnated with chemicals such as Triclosan. Triclosan is an

antibacterial and antifungal agent and is registered with the [EPA] as being a pesticide.

It’s also used in many antibacterial soaps, deodorants, toothpastes and cosmetics.

Aside from increasing evidence linking triclosan to health problems, it is also believed

to destroy fragile aquatic ecosystems; especially algaes that other animals may depend

on – either directly or indirectly.

As sewerage and waste water treatment plants cannot remove Triclosan and the

compound remains stable for long periods of time; it’s posing an increasing problem in

our waterways – it’s now one of the most common man-made chemicals found in U.S.

streams.

Any sponge pack that states is anti-bacterial or destroys odors is probably best left on

the supermarket shelf as it’s likely to contain triclosan or something equally damaging to

the environment.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I have the same problem with the ones I used to use.  So now for cleaning surfaces  and not dishes  I use cheap  terry cloth  towels I  found at IKEA  and for dishes I did find  natural sponges but for me they are too expensive so I been using a really good  washing up brush,

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I use the scotchbrite heavy duty sponges (green pad-yellow sponge) and have zero issues as you're describing. Buy them by the 8-pack I don't think a "greener sponge" is worth the trouble and expense unless it satisfies something inside...

• Like 1

Triclosan is in EVERYTHING. Toothpaste, soap, mouthwash, sponges  on and on.  And there's minimal evidence that it accomplishes anything other than getting the word "antibacterial" on the label. FDA has given notice that they are reconsidering the use and GRAS status of the chemical.

I noticed on our last visit to Utah...we live in Ontario...that I had trouble finding decent sponges and ended up tossing several kinds as useless. 

Just checked my sponge supply and they are 'no-name' brand, but still good.  Could it be an international situation?   What we have versus what you have? :raz:

We also buy our sponges at a local cleaning supply house, Swish.  And they are very good.  Never had a sponge bleed color.  Very strange to me.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I use the second type (Scotch-Brite ™ blue, non-scratch) regularly.  I've never seen them bleed color.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I've used the Scotch Brite non-scratch scrub sponges, and have never noticed this problem, and I probably use the individual spongers longer than I should. But, I stocked up on them over a year ago, so maybe they've changed their formula since then. I opened a three pack and rinsed one in a bowl and the water didn't look anything at all like the water on the Happy Baby site. I do give a new sponge a shot of dish detergent and rinse it out well before I start using it to wash dishes.Now I have 2 sponges, one only a week old, and one never used yet. I'll put one with the slightly used handi-wipe I've been saving for when I have an "absolutely positively must do something about that sink" moment.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

""  I stocked up on them over a year ago, ""

me too.  I use them almost forever.  I Micro them in a bleach/water solution from time to time, and they come out 'better than new'

""  maybe they've changed their formula since then ""

sooooo  anyone else get  'new' ones from the store recently ?

Triclosan is in EVERYTHING. Toothpaste, soap, mouthwash, sponges  on and on.  And there's minimal evidence that it accomplishes anything other than getting the word "antibacterial" on the label. FDA has given notice that they are reconsidering the use and GRAS status of the chemical.

I hope so, the stuff really should be abolished. It's a public health crisis in the making.

Re: sponges, I like the blue scotch brite or o-cello versions, which don't scratch pans. No problems with color bleeding. If it did bleed I wouldn't worry about it.

The worse problem with sponges is that they're unsanitary. It's actually a violation if the health dept. finds a sponge in restaurant in NYC. I use them because they're convenient, especially for dishes. But I wish there were a better solution. If I boiled them daily that would be a different story, but that's just not likely to happen.

Notes from the underbelly

Re: sponges, I like the blue scotch brite or o-cello versions, which don't scratch pans. No problems with color bleeding. If it did bleed I wouldn't worry about it.

3M Company, in their reply to me, suggests removing or disinfecting any non-porous surfaces with isopropyl alcohol or Pine-Sol.

Hmmm ... I'm not sure what to make of that response.  I'm just going to change my sponges to ones that contain no dyes or other chemicals.  I'm getting tired of my body being a dumping ground for questionable chemicals.

... Shel

Mine go daily into the microwave and I read that this is enough.  Yes?  No?

Then I cut off their corners after a while and they become floor, door, etc sponges and we don't' mix them up.  Then to the cellar for use there...and so to the garbage. 

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The worse problem with sponges is that they're unsanitary. It's actually a violation if the health dept. finds a sponge in restaurant in NYC. I use them because they're convenient, especially for dishes. But I wish there were a better solution. If I boiled them daily that would be a different story, but that's just not likely to happen.

I boil mine every night. Like Darienne, I put the wet sponge into the microwave. I nuke it on 'high' for 90 seconds, which boils the water inside of it.

This is beyond easy to do.

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

""  I cut off their corners ""

nice tip

a little beach improves their appearance  

i do it in a Pyrex measuring glass container.

Sp1.jpg

Sp2.jpg

Sp3.jpg

Sp4.jpg

sorry for the blur 

this one is getting close to being 'cornered'

a few more months

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Been there, and done that with the bleach.  But they still have only a 'life' to live.  Particularly if visitors come...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Mine go daily into the microwave and I read that this is enough.  Yes?  No?

Then I cut off their corners after a while and they become floor, door, etc sponges and we don't' mix them up.  Then to the cellar for use there...and so to the garbage. 

I boil mine every night. Like Darienne, I put the wet sponge into the microwave. I nuke it on 'high' for 90 seconds, which boils the water inside of it.

This is beyond easy to do.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what has this to do with dyes and/or chemicals leaching out of the sponge?

... Shel

I think it means you can keep the older sponge, Pre-Leak-Gate, longer, and avoid the problem entirely

which is a point, no ?

Mine are now going to last just that much longer, thanks to your BOLO !  I was thinking of tossing it out.  not now.

:laugh:

I think it means you can keep the older sponge, Pre-Leak-Gate, longer, and avoid the problem entirely

which is a point, no ?

Mine are now going to last just that much longer, thanks to your BOLO !  I was thinking of tossing it out.  not now.

:laugh:

The problem has been going on for at least a couple of years.  And, FWIW, this morning I discovered the same problem with similar sponges sold by Safeway.

What's a BOLO?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Be On The Look Out.

I still have two of the ones I posted, but 'brand new'.  Old

I pulled one out, and gave it The Test   :  Nada.

Im keeping these  for a long time.

Who Knew ?

is it in any way possible that these sponges were made  " place A "  and now the production has moved to " Much Cheaper B " ?

I actually have the package :

'Scour Pad and sponge made in the USA.  Attached in Mexico'

how bizarre is that ?  they sent them all the way to Mexico to be attached ?

these are over a year old, if not more.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I use Trader Joe's Pop-up Sponges, made from natural vegetable cellulose. They work well and they are also just kinda cool - they are packaged as flat little rectangles but you put them in water and they E-X-P-A-N-D to full size. They can be sanitized the same way as other sponges. 

sponges.jpg

• Like 3

WoW  FP !

back some time ago, when Prime was really Prime   ( no kidding really  it was Prime ! Standing Rib for New years ? etc )

we used to use some kind of sponge Just Like That !

Ill look into it

did not know it came from FR  

good for them !

• Like 1

Maybe I'm missing something, but what has this to do with dyes and/or chemicals leaching out of the sponge?

Bacteria are a serious issue. Dyes are a non-issue. Triclosan is a public health issue, but it's not something hurts your directly.

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 1

Notes from the underbelly