• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmers' Markets 2015

kayb

Today is part of the 12th anniversary of the first Heartland Gathering, in Grand Rapids. I remember that the folks who shopped for our Saturday communal dinner were impressed by the variety and quality of the produce and other items at the Fulton Street Farmers Market -- including the cauliflower, which eventually led to the eG Roasted Cauliflower forum. The market has gotten even bigger and better since then, and many other, smaller markets have sprouted in and around the city. Here's what was available at the Fulton Market this past Saturday.

• Like 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I've been doing a year-round CSA for about 4.5 years now, but I'm looking forward to going back to the farmers' markets soon.

I've been throwing out too much stuff and not getting to cook what I want some of the time. More importantly, I've got more flexibility and can get to more markets, rather than racing away from work to beat closing time at the local market. I really enjoyed the CSA and the challenge of experimenting with different varieties of local seasonal produce but it's time for a change.

Here's my last CSA box for a while (posting here since the most recent CSA thread is a bit dormant):

image.jpeg

Kind of an in between box with sweet corn, cucumbers from the summer and persimmons, turnips and kale from the cooler weather (which we have not had yet).

• Like 2

Today was the last day of our farmers' market for the season, and I missed it, as it was pouring rain (northeastern fringes of El Nino) and i had my 3-year-old grandson here. I have, in fact, missed the last three, due to travel and illness. I think we were down to a few late tomatoes and squash, and winter veggies and sweet potatoes.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

kayb, sorry to hear about your illness. I trust you are better.

In the Indy area, we are gearing up for the transition over to the Winter Farmers' Markets.  The "Indy Winter Farmers' Market" and the "Carmel Winter Farmers' Market" will both be starting up soon, both in indoor covered spaces. In effect quite a few of the vendors will be sailing right from one market to the other, while some others will take a break for the winter.  There is actual produce that is grown for sale during these winter markets (greenhouses, hydroponic houses, glass/polymer hoop houses, etc) and some very nice fresh stuff will be coming out in due course (especially like in Jan/Feb of next year) from time to time, such as (my favorite) winter spinach which is much squatter, stouter, thicker-leafed and sweeter than the lanky stuff of spring and summer. Wonderful for simply blanching and drizzling with a sauce of one's choice (simple oyster sauce + black pepper will do the trick) Some produce will be offered from stocks stored from the main growing season (e.g. carrots, root vegetables, apples, beets, etc) and which will decline in quality of course as the winter goes on. Meats and eggs will be offered "fresh" through the winter --- and if a particular period is very cold eggs will be unavailable (just. too. cold. for the hens to lay anything!!) until a warmer period comes again. And so on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wish we had a winter farmers market here. The closest one is in Memphis, an hour away. I think I may try to start making that trip on an occasional Saturday during the offseason.

We had much more hoop-house vegetable growing when I lived in L.A. (that would be Lower Arkansas) than we do up here in the northeast corner of the state. I wonder if the temperature differential -- probably less than 10 degrees, but still noticeable -- is the cause.

Huiray, thanks for the kind words. It was a stomach flu -- unpleasant, but not life-threatening, though I will confess to WANTING to die from it a couple of times. All better now.

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...