• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen Burgers in Ontario

palo

Recently purchased two boxes of The Keg's frozen burgers. Very disappointed. First off The Keg is a fairly well-respected steakhouse chain, and these were fairly expensive for frozen burgers. The burgers right out of the box were grey, looked like freezer burn, this was new stock for the store. Cooked, they tasted like cardboard, the box suggested seasoning with their brand of spice. I returned them to the store - I didn't open the second box.

Now before you think this is a rant against The Keg, it's not. I'm looking for suggestions for good frozen burgers in Ontario.

I have had good experiences with President's Choice burgers and I've picked up a box of Webers (well-known local highway burger shack on the way to Muskoka) but not tried them yet.

http:en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/webers

p

We get bags of awesome frozen pre-cooked hamburger patties in HEB's meats' prepared section. Truly 180* from the thin traditional institutional raw frozen puck of mystery available by the case. A hefty thick full-sized traditional all beef patty that isn't going to shrink.

You might look for something like that at your local instead. Quick reheat on the grill or in the micro they are quite excellent.

We keep Bubba Burgers in the freezer.  They are hard to find, at least here, but we stock up when they turn up in the stores.  They're not bad, which is what I ask of a frozen burger and THEY ARE NOT FLAVORED with garlic, onions, salt, pepper, herbs, etc., which almost all burgers here are, frozen or otherwise.    If I wanted meatballs, I'd buy meatballs, not hamburgers, thank you very much.    (Can you tell this is a pet peeve?)

I don't want to annoy you, palo, but if you insist on a frozen burger and want one you will like (which may or may not be the 'best' by anyone else's standards), why don't you make your own from meat you already know you enjoy (presumably because you can buy it locally and have made non-frozen burgers from it in the past), in a size that you know you like, etc. and then freeze them yourself? It doesn't take long to slap a burger or two into shape from a pound of meat and throw it in the freezer (which you obviously already have). That way you will also have a better idea of its provenance (when it was made, what it contains).

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 2

@ radtek: We have a frozen food purveyor up here in Ontario called M & M Meats which sell pre-cooked burgers, unfortunately they are similar to sausage rounds and not to my liking.

@ Rerun: Not annoyed at all, I have frozen homemade burgers before and while the results were good, atm I'm just looking at convenience. I don't get overly hung up on the ingredients in prepackaged foods.

p

I just want to say that one cannot find any foie gras here. Not in any supermarket. Perhaps it is available to the select few. 

But a decent hamburger patty? You-betcha.  :cool:

Edited by radtek (log)

Palo - Can you please explain to me what the difference is to you between a pre-made but fresh burger patty brought home and immediately put in the freezer ... and a frozen burger patty brought home and put in the freezer - in terms of convenience?

Neither really requires much if any extra work from you either before going in your freezer or when it comes out.

Maybe it would work better if you told us what stores/brands of patties you have close by you and if someone here has tried them they could give you their insights.

Edited by Deryn (log)

This won't help the OP up in Orillia  but for anyone else close to their stores, Rowe Farm meats  sell decent  frozen burgers at their stores in Guelph and TO. 

• Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Does Costco have a Kirkland frozen burger available these days? I haven't tried them (not my thing) but I have read that others thought their sirloin burgers were decent (although perhaps a bit bland) at one time.

That said, when one talks about a 'frozen burger' is one talking about just the meat or the kind of frozen burger that is the epitomy of gourmet convenience and comes already packed in a bun and may also include cheese if not other 'condiments'? My comments have been premised on it being the former - just the meat patty. It just occurred to me that perhaps I was mistaken.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 1

Does Costco have a Kirkland frozen burger available these days? I haven't tried them (not my thing) but I have read that others thought their sirloin burgers were decent (although perhaps a bit bland) at one time.

when I was a kid my mother always got us the kirkland sirloin burgers. They weren't great then, and they're not great now. Too lean, tight and bland. 

Disappointing that the keg frozen burgers are not good. Their prime rib burger is always excellent when I've had it. 

I've often wondered about the different offerings at Superstore; they have one that has Kobe in the name, whether it's actual Kobe beef or not I don't know

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not sure if they will ship across the border, but while window shopping for natural casing hotdogs I just discovered that Sabrett frozen hamburgers can be delivered by FedEx.

Here is one source:

http://shop.houseofweenies.com/Frozen-Foods_c9.htm

To my knowledge I have never had a Sabrett hamburger to comment on the quality, however Sabrett hotdogs are my favorite, even over Nathan's.

Edit:  I just checked that vendor's terms and conditions:

"We do not ship to APO boxes or outside of the borders unless other arrangements are made. Call 914-576-3332 for more information."

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Not sure if they will ship across the border, but while window shopping for natural casing hotdogs I just discovered that Sabrett frozen hamburgers can be delivered by FedEx.

Here is one source:

http://shop.houseofweenies.com/Frozen-Foods_c9.htm

To my knowledge I have never had a Sabrett hamburger to comment on the quality, however Sabrett hotdogs are my favorite, even over Nathan's.

Edit:  I just checked that vendor's terms and conditions:

"We do not ship to APO boxes or outside of the borders unless other arrangements are made. Call 914-576-3332 for more information."

Yeah, Canada border services are not fond of foreign meat coming through.  :)