• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Trucks Hamilton Ontario

Kerry Beal

Was waiting for my car to have some work done when the mechanic mentioned that there was a food truck event happening nearby.  Then I got a text from Anna N who knew I was at the mechanic also mentioning said food trucks.  I figured it was a sign that I'd better get my bum out of the seat and over to where the food trucks were happening.  

The event is called Sew Hungry - a nod to Ottawa Street - which has traditionally been the area to shop for fabric. Times are changing - there are still a lot of fabric places but antique  shops are moving in and there are a fair number of cafes now too.  

It was a regular street party when I arrived - I was glad I walked in and didn't have to worry about parking.

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

Stopped into one of the 'antique' shops - saw this neat rotisserie

IMG_0340.jpg

And lastly - the statue of Tim Horton outside the first Tim Horton doughnut shop.  

• Like 6

That's quite a street food fair!  Thanks for the pictures.

Can you elaborate on the 'rotisserie'?  It looks like a component turntable, the kind we'd have considered standard about (urk!) 30 years ago.  Did someone mimic that structure, or am I looking at the photo wrong?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Kerry- "Stopped into one of the 'antique' shops - saw this neat rotisserie"

Had one of those back in the day, can't recall how well it worked but it WAS well made.

p

Doesn't look like the Ottawa St I remember....YUMMM!  What did you end up sampling?  Any Calamari trucks in the area :biggrin:

Sadly nothing - I'd eaten on the way to the shop.

Wow, can you send those trucks up to Toronto?  The City Fathers here still have their knickers in a twist about allowing food trucks to operate very freely, don't ask me why.  OK, I will not rant.

Caplansky's smoked meat is good, a very solid good. It isn't the Very Best I've Ever Eaten, but it is definitely good.  And they understand rye bread and pickles.   If you're at Terminal One at Pearson Airport, there's a Caplansky's there.  You can get a very nice smoked meat sandwich on rye, with a Verner's and vinegar coleslaw.  Now that's tasty airport food!

• Like 2