• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whirlpool wfg540h0as

radtek

Picked this discontinued model up yesterday for $600 new as an upgrade to my GE stove. The venerable old oven had quit working and the four burners were each only 9000btu and inaccurate as hell. probably fix it for $50... :laugh:

I'd spent a couple years pricing and comparing various models' burners' btu's and burner configurations. There was only another that I've seen in the 1k price range with a more powerful setup, and it was perhaps only a couple more k on the power burner. Think it was an LG.

This review dings the oven but it was the burners I was after... Just as much as an upgrade to my kitchen as my brewery!

Before I'd straddle two burners with my 80qt kettle for a grand total of 18k btu. That output has almost been doubled with the left three burners that I plan to use. This will shorten my brew sessions.

So far have used the simmer burner to reheat some soup and the second to most powerful one to cook a couple eggs this am.

The oven's interior is cavernous. Probably could bake 12 loaves of bread in there.

Edited by radtek (log)

Nice! And I even learned something from the review:

On a related note, the WFG540H0AS features what Whirlpool calls TimeSavor convection. It relies on a fan at the back of the oven cavity to more evenly distribute air, but lacks a "true" convection system with a dedicated heating element for the fan.

I had always thought that it was the fan per se that made for a true convection oven.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I thought this about the convection feature as well? Probably need to fire it up to make sure the oven actually works. And see about ordering a few extra racks.

I thought it required a fan and third heating element. Here's one take on it.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So convection isn't truly convection unless it's backed up by a dedicated element? hmmm 

Pizza, bread and something roasted perhaps. Cookies!  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Very nice looking and a good price, being in the right place at the right time is an art!

I especially like the burner grids, flat and close together, to eliminate the balancing act required by those common "spider" grills and small pots.

p

Looking and waiting and being in the right place at the right time has netted me some deals and at the same time this was a sort of impulse buy. Seems $600 is the going rate now but still a deal IMO and I wasn't going to let it slip through my fingers. The only one left and priced to move.

palo the grid was a prime criteria in my consideration. Other models' and brands' grates felt flimsy, unstable or poorly designed. Since there will be up to 19 gallons of water in one pot on the stove it has to be sturdy. I was able to put a great deal of my weight on the grates without them shifting or bowing downwards.

The continuous grid will also enable me to move the pots and pans around without trouble or worry of them tipping over.

I'm thinking pork fried rice for breakfast? 

^^ Might take me a while to drive there for breakfast, so l'll take a rain check!

Yes the cooking grids impressed me the most about the stove as well as it's overall good looks, shame other manufacturers don't consider this in their design

p

Cheese omelet and toast then. That front right burner (15k) had my pan hot quicker than used to and had to speed my prep up. I was done in less than half the time...!