• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Franklin Barbecue"

rotuts

In line @ 10:30. They opened at 11. Waited about an hour. The sausage was good. I tasted it all day :). The brisket was amazing as well as the humongous beef ribs. I like sausage too and had to taste them. I'd probably pass on them next time and stick with the big meats

• 2 weeks later...

Wrong link, my friend ...

I watched the most recent episodes last nigh.  I sure enjoyed them, and hope that there will be more.

... Shel

soooo sorry

try this

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365537075

this does indeed seem to be the last ep.

unless hopefully he's taking a break.

there are rumors of season 2.    i.e. asking for donations it seems

PS  10 episodes this year.  

consider :

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/11-04-14-aaron-franklin-bbq-barbecue-KLRU-webseries-indiegogo-fundraiser/

Edited by rotuts (log)

I made another brisket based on things mentioned in Franklin's book and videos.  Cassie said it was the best one yet.  Last time I used choice brisket, this time I used prime.  This time, like Franklin, I had a temperature probe at brisket level and a little in front of it.  I used mostly wood for this smoke, last time I used charcoal for heat and a little wood for smoke.  It was a lot more labor intensive because a lot more fluctuation can take place in front of the brisket than behind it,  but I was surprised how much less fuel I needed when burning wood instead of charcoal.  I think this brisket was the same size or smaller but it took a little longer.  I don't think I will ever put southern rubs or any sauce on brisket ever again. 

You have to look for whole briskets around here.  Most places sell only flats with the fat trimmed off, but the book is right about the point: It is so much more flavorful because it is fattier. In between the two briskets, I had some burnt ends from Fiorella's. I so much prefer Franklin style point as it came out of my smoker.

DSCN2807_zpsiop88cau.jpg 

DSCN2812_zpsgpgwjsft.jpg

• Like 3

one thing about Franklin Ive noticed. He says it the way he see it.  No BS.  And I bet he's right all the time.

Lets hope he can line up another season.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

got this email from KLRU :

Hello, 

Thanks for reaching out! 

Glad you're enjoying the show! We are still in discussions regarding a second season but appreciate your feedback.

Yours, 

Allie

Allie Kandell 

Development Manager

KLRU-TV, Austin PBS

PO Box 7158

Austin, TX 78713

Direct:Â (512) 475-9032

klru.org

• 1 month later...

Norm, great looking brisket's.  Your following Franklin's cookbook theme - grill, grill and grill some more.  

Franklin's cookbook is less of a cookbook than a treatise on Central Texas cooking procedures/history and the backstory on his success.  It would be better to checkout from the library rather than purchase because you are not buying recipes but rather general guidelines on cooking.  

I really enjoyed the emphasis on gaining experience by cooking and not being overly critical at each step of the process. If your looking for step by step instructions this is not the book, and it wouldn't work for brisket.  Pork is very easy to cook relative to brisket.  That's way I never order brisket from a restaurant. Always okay or less.

I bought a 14# choice packer from WM this weekend and cut off the flat to brine for corned beef.  I prepped the point with salt and pepper to cook on the BBQ.  I used a Weber kettle and ended with a cooked time of around 11 hours at 250-260 degrees using pecan and mulberry with a rest of 2 hours (140 degrees).  The end  result was phenomenal. Moist, beefy, tender. I was attentive during the cook to temp but not to anal.  That SOB was great!

Wrapped in paper after the stall

P1040343.JPG

Resting

P1040352.JPG

Sliced and ready to inhale

P1040355.JPG

I'll have to say that if not for the book I would have never tried to cooked brisket again.  After this weekend though I'm planning my next cook.  

Edited by Steve Irby (log)
  • Like 2

Nice looking brisket.  I smoked lots and lots of food on my Weber. They do a great job.  Did you know they make grates that are hinged on the ends so you can add coals without moving the stuff on top?  Mine has been jury rigged together so many times I am surprised it is still as functional as it is. 

Franklin’s book was very informative for me. I had shied away from doing a brisket for years because the results were always just so so.  Franklin said a lot of things that I doubted but it made me rethink things I’d taken as a given before. If I had not been grilling and smoking for a long time, I would not have even understood some stuff he was saying. It would have gone right over my head but because of having some experience I was able to imagine how i could use my smoker to accommodate  his methods. 

I am glad I bought the book. There is still some stuff I think I can glean from it.

• Like 2