• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Franklin Barbecue"

rotuts

After I got out of the Army, I was an art teacher in Junction City from 1969 until I retired about 11 or 12 years ago.  One of the coaches retired and opened a commercial pig farm.  Not long after that one of my best friends started roasting a hog once a year on his birthday.  He stopped sometime in the late 80's when he realized that over half of the people at his party were strangers.  His cooker was a 50 gallon drum cut in half, hinged and with grates and a stand welded on.  He also made his own wine.  He got me started in my interest in BBQ and I made some wine and beer back in those days too.  I assisted him a couple times during the cook but not with the initial prep.  Several years later, my neighbor asked me if I could do a pig for them. I said my smoker was not big enough for a pig but I could handle a piglet.  It turned out good but the next year, they borrowed my smoker and did another piglet Korean style. It was delicious.  All of those people are gone now but maybe my son can get his uncle to tell him how to do a Korean style pig someday.

It was in Linsborg Ks, that Heritage Foods was started by a poultry farmer and heritage pigs were raised just north of where I lived... still are.  

• Like 2

I just got back from my second trip ever to Costco and saw they had USDA Prime whole brisket packets and they averaged about $15.00 less than I paid for Choice at McGonigles.  I just finished lunch. It was some of that leftover pulled pork with bourbon BBQ sauce on a Brioche bun from Costco. 

• Like 1

yup.  what the market will bear....

end of last year prices at local our Giant went sky-high in 2-3 days.  pork tenderloin, was $4-5/lb went to $11+

Wegmans - which is not an el'cheepo joint - had same for the usual $4-5/lb

Giant apparently got smacked up alongside their "consumers disagree" head and is now implementing low prices ala' Walmart.

it's not pretty.  low prices, double lower quality.  lots of stuff I won't buy there anymore.

When Cassie and Charlie got back from Las Vegas (visiting his relatives who had not yet met Cassie) they took me to a belated Father's Day dinner.  We went to Woodyard BBQ.  It is a place that sells wood to BBQ restaurants and individuals who enter contests or just want some wood for their own smokers or even for a fireplace.  They have a lot of different kinds of wood but were running low today because of some upcoming competitions. The restaurant has been featured on TV shows by Anthony Bourdain, Andrew Zimmern and Guy Fieri.  We got there on a week day between lunch and dinner so it wasn't busy. On weekends there is live music and lines out the door.  Cassie had a smoked turkey sandwich, Charles, pulled pork and I had sausage with chili and cheese.  Here are pictures from the back showing the wood yard and entrance.

PS There was a sign saying they will custom make a smoker or grill to your specifications.

20150622_150350_zps9qi2akqu.jpg

20150622_150106_zpsy2pa6miv.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 2

I love Woodyard, but it ain't much to look at. 

I talked with the pitmaster a few years ago. I don't know if things have changed but at the time he said that the rub was whatever he was feeling that day and same for the wood. 

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

• 2 weeks later...

Ep # 7 direct heat

nice.  very nice.

it interesting the Steven Raichlen has a new PBS series  " Project Smoke "

Ive seen two eps.

compared to Franklin  is like night vs day.

you can easily figure out which is which for your self.

Competition BBQ

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365518630/

a while back there was a thread on Copetition BBQ

its interesting to see Aaron's friends take on this.

note the serious espresso machine at 8:25 or so and 15:08 !

this guy knows how to travel !

however, he uses margarine ?   :wacko:  16:53

Edited by rotuts (log)

I have not seen the video yet but this is the second time in a couple weeks that I have heard of a competition BBQer using margarine.  I wondered why he didn't use whipped butter but i looked up margarine v butter and found that margarine is mostly 80% vegetable oil while butter is 80% milk fat.  Because of this, butter will brown and start to burn at 250º F and margarine will stand up to much higher temperatures.

• Like 1

lean something here every day .

ps :  re  chicken thighs on this show :

clearly the Optimum Smoker/BBQ would be a pellet smoker, stainless steel with a steam function.

I think its a Shun boning knife  this one :

http://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/classic-boning-fillet-knife

Ive PM'd you a frame grab

looks nice.

I however have these :

Granton Boning.jpg

its a shame Granton knives are not easier to obtain.  much cheaper than the Shun, and with the EP or your own sharpening 

system they are a joy to use.

this site gives you an idea of the Granton Prices :

http://www.steelcitycutlery.com/cutlery/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Boning&x=1&y=9

Edited by rotuts (log)

Went straight from the airport. Stood in line at La Barbecue with a BBQ guy from Sonoma who was making the rounds. He paid a lady $100 to stand in line at Frankin's the day before (she waited 5-6 hrs) Said he gave Aaron a slight edge but La BBQ was solid Q.

It was melt in your mouth brisket

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

My sister lives outside Austin, in Georgetown.

next times I go visit, when its cooler   ( Nov ? )

i plan to Motor around and see and taste all the places Franklin travels to on his show.

just not Franklin's BBQ.

:sad:

Soooo   how long was the line at Le B's ?

and how was that sausage ?

im more of a Sausage guy than a Brisket guy, but Id try the brisket for sure.

Edited by rotuts (log)