• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Franklin Barbecue"

rotuts

That link is blocked to me but the lead-in mentions off-the-rack smokers. About 15 years ago I had a Brinkman horizontal smoker. In retrospect, it was well built. One day when I came home from work it was missing.  My son told me some guys with a pick-up said they were following instructions from my ex and were here for the smoker and his basketball goal. He said they loaded them up and were gone a few minutes before I got home. I had modified it by extending the smokestack downward improve the heat and smoke circulation, added a place to add hot water for increased moisture and did a baffle in front of the firebox.     A few years later I got a Charbroil of the same design. It was a piece of junk.  The lid was warped and would not close completely. It started rusting right away.  I gave it away before I moved here. One of the first things I did here was to go looking for was an Oklahoma Joe smoker. I learned that the owner had sold the company to Charbroil and moved to Texas.  Horizon was run by his brother and maintained the same line of smokers and quality of the original.  

Luckily I'm not blocked from PBS. Had seen all those vids before.

I'm not really enamored with the little offset he chose but Old Country seems a better choice than NB, Charbroil or Brinkman cookers. Recommend a step-bit over a hole saw. 

I'm coming to the conclusion a custom job may be required because of the quality issues. Most commercial offset pits are pretty flimsy and drafty and often require modifications to perform properly.

Serious 'Q-er's' in TX and down that area  get their rigs custom made.  no kidding.  from the Guy ( or maybe Guy-ette ) 'down the road'

easier to go back down that road and give them an earful if it doesn't work out.  it seems 'most' people in TX weld.  that's what my sisters friends say.

I think a fair bit of reasonable pride is involved in serious Q in TX and those parts.

even if you are not a BBQ 'fan' or a 'Brisket-tologist' consider this vid :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU&spfreload=10

then this one :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaMgt1Altys&spfreload=10

Ive learned more about heat flow from these two vids than I even knew existed in Nature, or more correctly, TX

then the Final Exam :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPjH_DslwhM&spfreload=10

eventually after a period of Low Buzz somewhere in the very back of my brain I figured out why those two logs are in that last smoker.  and moved near the end

and positioned 'just so'

Franklin not telling us everything , is he ?    :laugh:

:biggrin: 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

That's pretty close to my ideal pit. Was looking at New Braunfels but they're a cruel joke compared to their original construction and quality.

Indeed!  I bought a New Braunfels back around 1990  +/- and practically cried when I saw the new ones (last year).

... Shel

Well this thread seems as good a place as any to mention that Mr. Franklin won Best Chef: South West from the James Beard Foundation yesterday.

Pretty, pretty good!

• Like 2

noted that myself

i guess Ill have to visit my sister maybe this Fall and get a whole brisket 'by order'  Ill save up

you get them only on certain days of the month, but you pick them up at 10.AM.  sharp. no line !

maybe he'll be willing to add on some sausage.

Speaking as someone that has done that a couple of times, yes you can get sausage and sides and whatever you want.

But be advised that you have to order pretty far in advance. Go to the website, then to the pre-order calendar.

https://franklinbarbecue.com

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

You Bett'cha

why else would I go to TX ?

:huh:

:laugh:

Soooo you've had their stuff ?   :biggrin:

and what did you think ???

hope you did not slather the brisket with  ""' sauce ""

just saying

Post cook a little sauce perhaps, but I've grown away from it. Definitely pickle and raw/vinegared onion. Bread.

I'd say if the brisket needs sauce then something went wrong. 

Just brisket in general my two cents.

Edited by radtek (log)

NM :  what brand off-set smoker is that ?

what sort of of wood do you use ?

your Q looks fantastic.

pls follow up.

based on what brisket enthusiast really like, why not  just the point cut trimmed straight down so there is a little flat under the point ?

Id love to see what your whole brisket looks like 'out of the pack' and how you trim it.

thanks

Off set smoker is made in Oklahoma by Horizon. I ordered it from here    http://www.thekansascitybbqstore.com/   in April, 2012. and they delivered it a week or so later.

I generally use apple wood.  (the birch wood you see under the smoker is from a dead tree in my yard and is used in the nearby fire pit on cool nights.:)

Thanks for the compliment.

I may do that next time. I know more now than I did day before yesterday

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

So, Norm, how how many times a week do you wander down there ? a day ?

next time you find yourself there, ask their position on 'serious' wood-pellet 'smokers', high-end

Highly  accurate, 'clean vs Smokey smoke' , your choose, etc

Franklin certainly has put a few Hornets in my Bonnet  

fo me it would have to be 'Smoked (Boston Butts ) Carnitas'

thanks.

Paid 4.99/lb for a full Packer Brisket..last week.. it was awesome

The Flat cooked really nice ( I actually shredded it ) attached to it.. the Point Muscle.. I CV'd for later I

Its good to have Morels

Soooo  you took a lot of Pics > right ?  

No ?

Im sure you will be doing this again as it was " awesome "

did you peek on the 'side' to see if the Point was ' well marbled ' ?

Im guessing you did not get to look at a lot of these and they gave you 'Yours'

BTW how much does a F.P.B. hit the scales at ?

would you do this again ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

RT

I think this was about 14 lb

It did have a nice fat cap/not to thick/on the point ( so no )--  what I liked about that one ( Brisket ) the Flat was pretty thick and looked really good.

No Pictures--Cuz after mushroom foraging and crappie fishing and drinking really late..just to dame tired

:wacko:

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels

So, Norm, how how many times a week do you wander down there ? a day ?

next time you find yourself there, ask their position on 'serious' wood-pellet 'smokers', high-end

Highly  accurate, 'clean vs Smokey smoke' , your choose, etc

Franklin certainly has put a few Hornets in my Bonnet  

fo me it would have to be 'Smoked (Boston Butts ) Carnitas'

thanks.

To tell the truth, I only go there two or three times a year. I was going to go tomorrow though to get some apple wood. I'll ask them about pellet smokers, but I think their answer will be a Traeger. They sell those. I hear Yoder's are very good.

Here is something to read about pellet smokers.  Check out the part about flavor profile for pellets.  http://bbqbeat.com/buying-pellet-smokers/

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1