• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Opening a Boston Shaker One-handed

pto

Whack it on the edge of your counter, if you have 2 metal tins. If it's glass on metal, not totally sure what to suggest.

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Gentlemen, gentlemen, where are our manners?  Pto, sorry to hear about your mishap.

Can you hold the shaker under your arm on the injured side and wrestle the top off with your good hand?

But yes; I think your immediate future calls for stirred drinks.  Not a bad thing, in my view ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

My father had no use of his right arm for over 65 years and as I recall the technique that lesliec suggested was what he used to get the top off the shaker (when my mother was not around to do it for him). By the time I saw him do it (when I was a child) I am sure he had had loads of practice. Not sure how it went till he figured out what worked for him. He was pretty good at it, but, perhaps he also didn't put the lid on really hard either.

• Like 1

I use lesliec's technique all the time in the kitchen when working with a "clean hand/dirty hand" breading meats or fish and such. Also when carrying a maximum load out to the recycling and still needing a free hand to unlock and open the door and lid of the recycling bin. It's very effective.

I am also sorry to hear about your injury pto, and wish you quick healing.

ETA: When you're injured is when you will need a cocktail the most.  :laugh:

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

I should add that I just remembered one of my bartender friends shakes and cracks open his tins all in one hand - he has some crazy thumb motion that cracks the tins right open with a very gratifying sound - not sure how he does it (I haven't practiced it enough), but you might be able to figure it out!

Cheers for the well wishes.

My shaker is tin+glass.

Its hysterical watching my gf trying to hit it, she just doesnt have the strength or cooridination or something.

I also have an aboslut vodka promo shaker with some kinda foamy stuff on the outside that I never use. Seems that one opens more easily, especially with a whack from my wooden muddler.

• 2 weeks later...