• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Milk Frothers

palo

I've been using a Capresso model for over two years and it had become a little erratic - multiple button presses before it would begin to work. I use it to make a latte/cappuccino - basically I heat and foam the milk (whole) and then pour into cup and add two shots of espresso (Saeco Talea Ring Plus). So I thought I would look into another frother as the Capresso seemed like it was on its way out. 

After online research I decided on the Breville Milk Cafe. I have always been impressed with Breville products, this is my 6th Breville small appliance, and their manuals outshine most of the rest. I decided to purchase from Amazon Canada for the convenience. The price was just over $130, a little pricy as I had paid about $60 for the Capresso, but it had gone up to about $95, so I figured go for it.

Well first use this morning - colour me IMPRESSED!!!

First, time - less than 4 minutes with whole milk and max temperature, Capresso about 10 minutes for same amt. and no temp control on Capresso

Second, foam quality - this is obviously subjective, but my preference is almost 100% foam - the Breville achieved this easily, Capresso not so much, The Breville comes with two frothing disks, I used the cappuccino disk.

Ease of use - read over manual yesterday, first use this morning without reference to instructions, perfect! Added milk, pressed button, less than 4 minutes later, done.

Multitasking - makes a variety of drinks, temperature control, much more versatile than the Capresso - doubt if I will take advantage of these options but thet're there.

Value - to me yes, to others with different priorities, maybe not. Battery operated frothing wands go for maybe $20 - $30, if that works for you, why would you spend more?

Anyone else have this product? Impressions?

If you purchased a different product for this purpose, what made you make that choice?

Breville Milk Cafe manual:

http://www.breville.ca/media/mediaappearance/4537/BMF600XL_IB_F13_factory.pdf

p

Edited by palo (log)

If it helps, this afternoon I watched a video of a Harvard lecture on emulsions, in which the speaker, Nandu Jubany, was preparing skim milk foams using an immersion blender:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU4sbFgTicg

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 8 months later...

I've had a Froth Au Lait for years.  It makes great froth.for my coffee.  The pitcher is not dishwasher safe so I just clean it when I finiwh using it.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I put this one on the stove every morning. 
I don't know that you can better it! 

HIC Milk Creamer Frother Cappuccino Foam Pitcher

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted Amazon link format (log)

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Steve, would the frother device you linked work for making hot chocolate using your Mexican chocolate?  Speaking of which how do you shave, grate, or break the chocolate up in pieces?

• 4 years later...

Recently I have come into possession of a Blendtec frothing jar, as well as a Blendtec 800 blender.  Steve's Mexican chocolate is impervious to the frothing jar, however the Blendtec WildSide jar eventually beats Steve's chocolate into submission.

No other known kitchen tool will touch it.  Two or three run throughs of the soup cycle result in the most delicious, smooth hot chocolate.   Now that I know how to prepare Steve's chocolate it is out of stock.

• Sad 1