• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sōsu Sriracha Sauce

Shel_B

This is Good!  Much better (IMO) than the more widely recognized Huy Fong "rooster sauce."  Not as sweet, missing the chemical additives, with a bit of smokiness and packed in glass rather than plastic.  My new standard sriracha sauce.

We combined our philosophy of using fresh, locally sourced ingredients with the age-old craft

of fermentation. We age our secret pepper mash in whiskey barrels for between one and three

months. The sriracha takes on complex flavors from the oak barrels and the natural fermentation

process. Absolutely no preservatives or additives go into our sriracha. Each bottle is handcrafted

and made in small batches to ensure the most intense flavors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpibEm0vFSU

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

I'd say the Huy Phong brand is the benchmark and quite hard to beat.

I'd disagree.  Huy Fong is, for whatever reason, practically ubiquitous, however, I've had other brands of Sriracha that I picked up at Thai groceries that were far more interesting than Huy Fong. 

... Shel

If metallic off flavors suit you then I say fine; but all the Asian brands I've tried have been terrible. Always willing to try something new though!

Never encountered the problem, although the Thai Sriracha sauces were quite a bit different from the Huy Fong.  Someone used to Huy Fong may use that as their standard and not be too enamored of other brands.  Sriraja Panich is one brand I liked. I guess a lot comes down to what you're used to and, of course, personal preferences.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel