• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Puebla - two weeks in June

Jaymes

Suggestions? 

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I think you should do a travelog and let us follow you around.   :smile:

I think so, too.  Sadly, I never seem to be able to manage it.

But I appreciate your vote of confidence.

Maybe I'll try harder.

• Like 3

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

You could do a survey of "cemitas," a ubiquitous torta that is found everywhere in Puebla. A hard roll (and the quality of the bread is important), pork or beef, chile relleno or queso fresco, pickled chiles and finished off with some sort of herb that is essential to the flavor. If you have 2 weeks you can go from outdoor stand to small lonchería, because everyone seems to make them a little differently.

And of course there's always mole poblano.

Have fun! Puebla's a very interesting city, very historic and beautiful.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

• Like 3

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

• 4 weeks later...

Several of y'all have asked more about my trip, so want to tell you it's been postponed, due to a family emergency.

I had signed up for cooking classes here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g152773-d653860-Reviews-Meson_Sacristia_Cooking_School-Puebla_Central_Mexico_and_Gulf_Coast.html

The classes I had signed up for were these:

Day 1 greeen and red sause,mole poblano, chalupas, hibiscus water.
Day 2. tinga poblana, mole sacristia, rompope custard, guacamole, agua de horchata.
Day 3. Pueblan soup, pico de gallo and tamarind water (only we make 3  recipes because that day We go to the market)

Don't they sound great?

And I was staying at this "incredible apartment in downtown Puebla":

I'm planning on going sometime later in the year.  So, as they say, "watch this space."
  • Like 2

I'm sorry for the family emergency. Your links look great, so I hope you'll be posting a live update later.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Hope the family emergency is resolved soon, Jaymes, so you can get to Puebla in the near future.

The reviews about the cooking school make it sound amazing so it would be a shame to miss that experience. The 'incredible apartment' looks wonderful too - though I do wonder about a place that apparently has only1 bed but 2 bedrooms and can accommodate up to 4 people. Cozy? :raz:

• Like 1

Jaymes, I will add my hopes that the family emergency can be resolved and that things work out for you to take this trip soon. It looks like a fabulous little trip! The cooking classes looks like a lot of fun. I'd love to hear more when you do go! 

Thank you for your kind words of support. They are much appreciated. And needed. More than you could know.

• Like 1

A trip like this has been a dream of mine for a long, long time.  I am so happy that you will get to experience it and, hopefully share your visit.  The cooking lessons sound amazing and I am envious but again, looking forward to your memories of them  I so hope that the family troubles were a mere bump in the road for you..  

• Like 1